VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: (pturner67)

I had my gti in yesterday because of this tapping noise. it sounds like it is behind the glovebox, worst at idle, raises in tapping speed up until about 1200 rpm when it cuts out completely.
They were convinced that it was coming from within the car. the tech said that when he put his head into the pass footwell looking at the glovebox, it sounded like the noise was behind him and he thought the tapping was being reflected off the glovebox area but actually coming from the seat. He took the passenger seat out and found some pieces on the underside of the seat that would vibrate against the seat frame.
He then paded things under there with foam(I think it is funny that they have a "squeak and rattle kit" at the dealer- a tackle box with multiple sizes and types of self stick insulation)
On the way home from the dealer yesterday the noise was gone.
Today it is back but different.
Now instead of being constant at idle and going away at 1200, it only occurs transiently between 1k and 1200 rpm, so it quickly starts and then stops.
I will not do anything with it for a week or so to see how it goes. If it comes back I'll bring it back in for them to look at again and report back here with progress
-Anthony

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: VW of America has solved the problem (GPC777)

It's getting louder! or maybe it is just me obsessing about it, but it seems to have gone from intermittant when the engine is hot, to every time the engine is idling.

-Anthony

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: tapping sound (placenta)

I brought mine in today(for the second time) and they did the fix, discusing it with VW tech support. So far no rattle and no tapping http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
They also flashed the car to the new software since I had the no-start issue twice.
Thanks for all the info!
-Anthony

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: tapping sound (digitalhippie)

I dropped it off at 9 and they called me at work at 12 to tell me it was done, so less than 3 hours. Mine was the first one they did(they've only sold one mkV gti, mine), I'm sure subsequent ones will be faster, the tech said he spent a lot of time on the phone with the vw service rep.
-Anthony

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: tapping sound (redlineGLI)

so 9 days after bringing the car in and getting the tapping sound taken care of, and I'm sitting at a light. a dead spot in the music and I think I'm hearing that darned tapping again. couldn't be,
I must be

So I shut the radio off, close the sunroof, and idling at the next light, I hear the same old tapping noise, but faint and muffled.

now I'm wondering if I should bring it in for the 3rd time or live with it until I have time to mess with it myself.

Between this and the constantly wandering FM reception, I really miss my '98 vr6.
-Anthony

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.