VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Hmmm,......I don't think my sound is the same.
When very cold(sub zero) just after start up, there is a chuffing/scuffing sound, rpm related, from idle on up, that emits from the area of the cam belt cover. It sounds physical, but not mechanical, ie: not the injectors, pump, or valves. The sound does go away after the engine warms up a bit(1-2 minutes), bit that doesn't mean much,.....temperature can contract and expand all sorts of things not necessarily related to mechanical function. I know what the 2.0t sounds like, I work in Audi service, but this is new problem to me.
Tomorrow i'll investigate further, TSB's etc, and maybe even the Tech Line if I have to. We'll figure this out one way or another.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Update:
Started the car this morning(sub zero temps) and no sounds.
At lunch I had a couple of tech's come out to check it out,.......no sound on start up,.....but after a few minutes it started rubbing again.
We could actually make the sound stop and recur by putting pressure against the plastic cam belt cover.
This well be fixed shortly.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
My scuffing sound has been fixed.
It turns out that there is a coolant pipe(approx. 1/2") that runs next to the cam belt cover. The pipe was putting pressure against the cover and had actually scuffed the inside of it,......which had caused the sound in the first place.
The dealer had NOT seen or heard of this problem before.
They fixed it temporarily by using a zip tie to relieve pressure against the cover, and ordering a new cover for me.
I have yet to verify and examine the repair myself, but I will do so as soon as I end this post.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Re: (feuerdog)

Quote, originally posted by feuerdog »
My scuffing sound has been fixed.
It turns out that there is a coolant pipe(approx. 1/2") that runs next to the cam belt cover. The pipe was putting pressure against the cover and had actually scuffed the inside of it,......which had caused the sound in the first place.
The dealer had NOT seen or heard of this problem before.
They fixed it temporarily by using a zip tie to relieve pressure against the cover, and ordering a new cover for me.
I have yet to verify and examine the repair myself, but I will do so as soon as I end this post.

Nope. Not fixed.

Sub zero start this morning, coolant hose still zip tied back, scaffing sound returned until engine temps built up.
In my case, this is definately the cam belt cover, and it is NOT normal. I'll know more when my replacement cam belt cover comes in and I can see exactly where it's rubbing.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Re: (kdoerner)

Quote, originally posted by kdoerner »

This is not the same thing. This sound does not go away after the engine warms up, it only happens when the engine is warm and the car sits at idle (~800RPM).
Good luck with your problem though,

I thought I had read a VW service Bulletin about this concerning the 2.0T Jetta's, you might have the dealer look it up.
Modified by kdoerner at 9:13 AM 2/22/2006

I know its not the same problem,.....but someone may have a similar problem, so I posted in this thread since the title is/was appropriate.
Dealership did do a TSB check and it's new to them.
Just keeping the Vortex in the know. y'know. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.