VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at idle, there is a fast tapping/ticking sound...very loud actually...and it is intermittent...sometimes quieter than others...sometimes doesn't exist...what is that sound? is it normal? is there a technical bulletin or recall coming on it? this cannot be normal...seriously, it's loud (and irritating) and is faster than the idle...so it doesn't seem to be fuel injectors
on my 2003 1.8T, there as a ticking/tapping sound...and it was determined that it was a selinoid...emissions related...and was considered normal...but it was not as loud as this is in my 2006 2.0T

Modified by pturner67 at 9:56 PM 12-21-2005

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (NINj4)

took it to the dealer...he said it's not normal...he said that there is a lower volume sewing machine sound that is normal...but this one is VERY loud...cannot remember what he said it was...something to do with the ac/circulation system...he said some of the early production 2.0T jettas had this issue but it should have been corrected by VW for my production date
gonna drop it off sometime next week and let them change out some parts...hopefully that will solve the issue

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Tanner74)

It's not the injectors. They listened to the sound. If it were the injectors, it would happen all the time. This is a very specific loud tapping sound (near the glove box) that happens after the car is warm and after the A/C has been on for a few minutes. When you turn off the A/C, the tapping is STILL there. When you turn the car off and restart it, the sound isn't there. So, they know it isn't the A/C fans or a leaf in the system since the sound is still there without the A/C on. One guy said there was an issue with some of the early production 2.0T models but that mine was manufactured after that fix was done.
The tech doesn't know exactly what it is. He says it is definitely not normal and is not the "sewing machine' sound the 2.0T sometimes puts out.
Taking the car to the dealer Tuesday 12/27. I will post the results after they fix it.

Modified by pturner67 at 7:35 PM 12-21-2005

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (UncannySkill)

The 1.8T had an emissions recirculating seliniod that made a tapping sound. Some were louder than others. So you are right about that tapping sound. I was one of about 8 trillion people who took their car to the dealer for that sound just to find that I wasted 3 hours of my time. LOL
The guy took me for a ride at the dealer in another 2.0T and they could not reproduce THIS sound. Really, this sound is not normal. There is no way VW/Audi would allow cars off the line if they made this loud tapping sound. The tech at the dealer said this was NOT normal whatsoever.
We'll know Tuesday what it is.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (RockinGti)

good idea...but the sound didn't go away in neutral...no "park" since it's a 6 speed

BUT...the problem is now solved...wanna know what it was?
no one knows what it was...they took apart some stuff trying to find the noise...couldn't find anything that was making the noise...they didn't replace anything at all or install anything new...but when they put everything back together, the noise stopped...yes...there is absolutely NO noise now...so, the dealership accidentally solved the problem...maybe it was something loose? maybe it was a fan blade barely nicking an edge? no one seems to know...but the car is now totally quiet...purrs like a kitten...no messed up loud tapping sound...the techs at the dealership were laughing about it...they said they've never taken something apart and just put it back together to fix an issue...but, whatever...the sound is gone...and that's all that matters

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (Tanner74)

yeah, still have the normal fuel injector sewing machine-ish sound...but that's ok...I can barely hear that inside the car
if they had screws left over, they didn't tell me...lol

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (kobe82)

Well guys and gals....it isn't fixed...noise is back...another appt set for Wed next week...the dealer has called VW Customer Relations as well over the issue....they said it will be fixed this time even if it takes getting me a new car...I said "new car? uuuhhh...yeah"
will keep you posted

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (UncannySkill)

Quote, originally posted by UncannySkill »
There is nothing wrong with the car. I could've told you the noise was going to come back especially since they didn't fix anything. I have heard this noise on every VW I've ever been in.

and yet they cannot duplicate THIS noise on any new 2.0T on the lot...you have not heard THIS noise on MY car...
by the way, the master service tech says he thinks it's a door actuator on the climate control system...he said he thought he saw a write-up about this problem...there apparently are 8 actuators for the doors regulating the climate control system...the trick is listening to them while the noise is present

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (linty)

Quote, originally posted by linty »
Had the same problem 2 weeks ago and took it in to the dealer.....I had a tapping or ticking sound in the glove box/psg side kick panel area usually around 800-1000 rpm and was very annoying.
Service advisor said it was normal (emissions or something). I then asked to have a mech who was walking by to take a quick listen and said its NOT normal....brought it in the next day and it was the fuel line hitting against the firewall/ transmission tunnell area....wrapped the anti rattle kit around it (a.k.a insulation) and its been fine since.
posted a link over on the mkv forum and there has been a couple others with the same problem

that sounds just crazy enough to be the issue...lol...my appointment is set for tomorrow morning...will bring this info to their attention as well...thanks for the info

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

Had the same problem 2 weeks ago and took it in to the dealer.....I had a tapping or ticking sound in the glove box/psg side kick panel area usually around 800-1000 rpm and was very annoying.
Service advisor said it was normal (emissions or something). I then asked to have a mech who was walking by to take a quick listen and said its NOT normal....brought it in the next day and it was the fuel line hitting against the firewall/ transmission tunnell area....wrapped the anti rattle kit around it (a.k.a insulation) and its been fine since.
posted a link over on the mkv forum and there has been a couple others with the same problem

according to the dealer, this seems to be the problem...but they said it's coming from an area not accessible...somewhere down inside the frame...sounds odd...but should hear something soon from them...they are keeping the car and dealing with engineers at VW corporate to find a solution...crazy...but at least they have loaned me a new 2.0T passat to drive while it's in the the shop

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Glad they found it and keep us up to date....It only took them a short time to fix mine and this is what the service order said "Traced noise to fuel lines vibrating against vehicle. RE-RI lower covers and placed foam from anti-rattle kit".
I found it odd when the sevice advisor said it was a normal VW emissions thing...at idle in traffic with the radio at level 7-8 you could hear this damn rattle, and everyone that was with me would always ask too (that was even more annoying)...
Now if they can fix the premium sound reception problem, my car will be perfect....dont get me wrong though. I consider these 2 things minor being a completley redesined car and expected some small growing pains. Overall though this vehicle has exceeded my expectations and im glad I went with this over the TSX. (im having way to much fun driving).

thanks...they are still awaiting word from VWOA technical...I left the service manager a message about this "It is the cold warm air curculation flap motor and it is very common although I have only fixed a couple with updated motors. not the purge valve" as well...the service manager said they couldn't find it tapping where the fuel lines were making the noise...but he did say that it apparently was involved
and to the latest guy who said there is nothing wrong with the car, you are completely incorrect
anyway...will keep you posted...should be by sometime mid week next week after VWOA technical calls the dealer back

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (blackvento36)

Quote, originally posted by blackvento36 »
I've heard of this problem before. My car doesn't do it so obviousely there is a problem

LOL!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Update: dealer called VWOA 2 weeks ago and has not heard back yet...the dealer says they are probably researching the issue. I am calling the dealer tomorrow for a follow-up. Is VWOA always this crappy on solving issues?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Re: (redlineGLI)

yeah...dealer is still stumped as to a solution...and VWOA is VEEERRRYYYY slow to reply to this issue...I am driving my car in the meantime...the sound still comes and goes...overall, VW gets an F for response to the issue...pretty disappointed in the whole thing
last I heard from them, they identified the sound as a physical problem...some lines tapping against the body...but the problem is that the lines tapping are actually in the frame where the lines go through a hole or something...really weird...and no other Jettas on the lot make the sound...so, it's been classified as a defect with no solution...lol
oh well...not much I can do about it right now

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Re: (kdoerner)

will take this info to the dealer as well...thanks for the feedback guys...by the way, I overfill all the time...will stop doing that and see if it helps

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Re: (feuerdog)

the dealer called me back again today and said they are finally going to do something about the sound...I referenced this thread and what everyone is saying...when I take the car in a few days from now, I am going to log in and show him all the possible causes...they said they found the cause as I had stated before...but I don't want them to miss any possible causes...thanks for all the feedback guys...and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is having the problem...maybe (snicker) VWOA will do a service bulletin about the problem

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (KharatosGTI)

Quote, originally posted by KharatosGTI »
I've heard this on both the 1.8T and 2.0T, and have confirmed it with the dealership service department, so it's a very normal sound for these engines.

Nope. On the 1.8T engine, it was an emissions module (or something) up against the passenger side engine bay. That was normal. I had a 1.8T and know the sound. This isn't the same issue. If you heard it, you'd be amazed at how loud this is. The dealer is supposed to remedy the issue sometime this week for me. But, so far, the only cure I have so far is turning up the stereo.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (sundaydriver)

hey Dennis!!
thanks for the compliment...you have an awesome ride...maybe I can hear it sometime in the future...anyone in the metro DC area who wants to visit a great dealership that has a terrific attitude, go see Dennis...he's at Bill Britt VW in Fredericksburg, VA
gonna shoot you an email tonight
by the way, tapping sound is still there...the VWOA rep is calling me this coming week to set a day where we can go over the whole issue....I pointed this thread out to him...he said VWOA is following this thread for possible solutions

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (alfzong)

1. not looking to be famous...just want the frickin noise to stop

2. it isn't the injectors...as I said before, the dealer has sat in th car and said that this noise is not normal

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Re: (KharatosGTI)

the rep from VWOA is meeting me Friday...yesterday, I took the car to the dealer and had a tech ride with me...he was amazed at how loud the sound was...something interesting came of the ride, though
he got down and started listening for the noise...trying to locate the noise...listened everywhere...and guess what...the noise SOUNDS like it's coming from the glovebox when you are sitting upright...but, actually, the noise is coming from the center console area kinda near where the stick shift is located...he said this could be something sitting up against something metal and rattling against it...or, he said it could be in the transmission since the noise seems to go away when not at idle...also, the noise seems to disappear when the car is at an angle...he said that this seems to add to the theory that something is vibrating loosly against something metal
either way, they are going to get to it Friday after the VWOA rep hears it...just posting an update

Modified by pturner67 at 9:43 PM 3-8-2006

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Re: (jksarbau)

met with the VWOA guy today...he said he has been following this thread...he was amazed at how loud this noise was...he said it was absolutely not normal or acceptable...the dealer is going into the car to see what is causing the noise...when I was leaving (in an awesome passat loaner by the way), I saw them whipping out the stethoscope listening device to pinpoint the noise
will update next week when I get the car back

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.