VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: (pturner67)

OK, I have the same problem and took the car in about 3 weeks ago. People are correct for the most part. The sound in coming from an evap line that is part of the emissions control system. What I was told: the flap will open and close (making that noise) in order to vent gas vapor in the line. This only does this at idle, when you open the throttle the flap has to close. Also, that in-line with the flap valve is a charcoal trap that captures spilled gas that may have gotten trapped in the line, than needs to be vented. The technician told me this is most common if you overfill (top off) you gas tank. He said all VW/Audi’s do this. In most of the models the valve at the rear near the gas tank, but in the A3, it is located under the firewall, and that’s why you hear it more.
I asked how often it would need to vent, and he said there is no way to tell. So my question was “So potentially it could do this all the time?”, his response was “yes”. I told the service manager that I did not think I could live with the noise if it did it all the time. So he told me if it does not stop, he would replace the valve and trap.
The technician did hook me up and look at fault codes. He also ran a self-diagnostic. Everything in the fuel and emission system showed up fine, yet the noise is still there.
I was worried because I installed the K&N filter, and thought that it might be causing some sort of valve problem. But now I know its not related to the intake

·
Registered
435 Posts
Re: (kdoerner)

That is interesting. I will have to watch for topping off my fuel and if I hear the noise or not. I can't believe VW would make a car that makes a noise that loud. It makes my car seem like a piece of crap when my friends get in and ask why my car sounds like it is falling apart.
Has anybody else got this respone from their dealer?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·

will take this info to the dealer as well...thanks for the feedback guys...by the way, I overfill all the time...will stop doing that and see if it helps

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: (pturner67)

I over fill as well. I have since stopped, and I can still hear the noise. When I asked about that, I wa told that gas might be trapt in the Charcoal filter. If that is the case, they would have to clean it out to get the flap to stop over working.
However, I was also told, that if there was a major problem with the evap and venting flap it should send a fault code. The tech did not want to do anything about this, and just told what I said above. I am lucky that the servicw manager is kissing my ass about some other problems I am having, so I have been told if the thing does not stop, he will replace it.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Hmmm,......I don't think my sound is the same.
When very cold(sub zero) just after start up, there is a chuffing/scuffing sound, rpm related, from idle on up, that emits from the area of the cam belt cover. It sounds physical, but not mechanical, ie: not the injectors, pump, or valves. The sound does go away after the engine warms up a bit(1-2 minutes), bit that doesn't mean much,.....temperature can contract and expand all sorts of things not necessarily related to mechanical function. I know what the 2.0t sounds like, I work in Audi service, but this is new problem to me.
Tomorrow i'll investigate further, TSB's etc, and maybe even the Tech Line if I have to. We'll figure this out one way or another.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Update:
Started the car this morning(sub zero temps) and no sounds.
At lunch I had a couple of tech's come out to check it out,.......no sound on start up,.....but after a few minutes it started rubbing again.
We could actually make the sound stop and recur by putting pressure against the plastic cam belt cover.
This well be fixed shortly.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (linty)

Quote, originally posted by linty »
Had the same problem 2 weeks ago and took it in to the dealer.....I had a tapping or ticking sound in the glove box/psg side kick panel area usually around 800-1000 rpm and was very annoying.
Service advisor said it was normal (emissions or something). I then asked to have a mech who was walking by to take a quick listen and said its NOT normal....brought it in the next day and it was the fuel line hitting against the firewall/ transmission tunnell area....wrapped the anti rattle kit around it (a.k.a insulation) and its been fine since.
posted a link over on the mkv forum and there has been a couple others with the same problem

I had a sound similiar to this... brought it into the dealer. It was not the engine tapping sound. It sounded like it was near the firewall on the P side. Thought it was the ABS pump, which is located on the fire wall.
It chatters rather loudly at idle. When I gave it some gas, the noise stops.
Brought it in for an oil change and complained about the noise. Had a vacuum line replaced at approx 5k. It was in the frame of the car, under the passenger side seat area. Tech agreed it was making a crazy vibrating sound at idle and disappeared when given fuel.
The gf's A3 reached 5k and was making the same noise. She had the same thing repaired. Noise is gone.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (RyanA3)

i had the tapping sound i think some of you are talking about...it was a fast tapping sound that seemed to come from behind the glovebox, and it only happened at idle, after the car was warmed up. if you gave it any gas at all, the sound went away, and oftentimes it would be quieter if you turned the a/c on (i do not have climatronic). i know everyone in this thread is not talking about this sound, but i do believe some of you are.
i took the car to my dealer about two weeks ago, and they kept it for 6 days, and they fixed it. the sound is completely gone, and the sound happened consistantly every day before i took it to the dealer, regardless of how much fuel was in the tank. they hadn't finished the paperwork when i picked up the car, and my service manager wasn't there (after hours pickup), so i wasn't able to find out what they did to it. they said they'd mail me the work order and stuff as soon as they got it done, i'll let you guys know what it says.
the dealer said they had been burning up the phone lines with VW trying to fix the problem, and i think they said they actually got a vw engineer to come hear the sound and fix it. i don't know what they did, but its completely gone.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (AndrewT)

I think we are all meaning the same sound, just not describing it the same. I was told that even if you over filled your car once or twice, that was enough to get gas in the evap line and possibly build up in the filter system that needs to be vented.
From what it sounds like, the way to fix it is to replace line or filter (or at least open the closed system) of the evap. A couple of people have stated that they had the noise, and than the noise was gone after they replaced or opened the tubes or filter.
I would also assume that since the VW MK V’s are on the same body, that they to might have a similar problem. However, since they have a different engine layout (same engine) that filter and valve might not be in the same location, so they might not hear it. I would be curious to see if any of them have heard the venting valve.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
My scuffing sound has been fixed.
It turns out that there is a coolant pipe(approx. 1/2") that runs next to the cam belt cover. The pipe was putting pressure against the cover and had actually scuffed the inside of it,......which had caused the sound in the first place.
The dealer had NOT seen or heard of this problem before.
They fixed it temporarily by using a zip tie to relieve pressure against the cover, and ordering a new cover for me.
I have yet to verify and examine the repair myself, but I will do so as soon as I end this post.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Re: (feuerdog)

the dealer called me back again today and said they are finally going to do something about the sound...I referenced this thread and what everyone is saying...when I take the car in a few days from now, I am going to log in and show him all the possible causes...they said they found the cause as I had stated before...but I don't want them to miss any possible causes...thanks for all the feedback guys...and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is having the problem...maybe (snicker) VWOA will do a service bulletin about the problem

·
Registered
2,896 Posts

Quote, originally posted by feuerdog »
My scuffing sound has been fixed.
It turns out that there is a coolant pipe(approx. 1/2") that runs next to the cam belt cover. The pipe was putting pressure against the cover and had actually scuffed the inside of it,......which had caused the sound in the first place.
The dealer had NOT seen or heard of this problem before.
They fixed it temporarily by using a zip tie to relieve pressure against the cover, and ordering a new cover for me.
I have yet to verify and examine the repair myself, but I will do so as soon as I end this post.

Nope. Not fixed.

Sub zero start this morning, coolant hose still zip tied back, scaffing sound returned until engine temps built up.
In my case, this is definately the cam belt cover, and it is NOT normal. I'll know more when my replacement cam belt cover comes in and I can see exactly where it's rubbing.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (KharatosGTI)

Quote, originally posted by KharatosGTI »
I've heard this on both the 1.8T and 2.0T, and have confirmed it with the dealership service department, so it's a very normal sound for these engines.

Nope. On the 1.8T engine, it was an emissions module (or something) up against the passenger side engine bay. That was normal. I had a 1.8T and know the sound. This isn't the same issue. If you heard it, you'd be amazed at how loud this is. The dealer is supposed to remedy the issue sometime this week for me. But, so far, the only cure I have so far is turning up the stereo.

·
Registered
407 Posts

Nope. Not fixed.

Sub zero start this morning, coolant hose still zip tied back, scaffing sound returned until engine temps built up.

This is not the same thing. This sound does not go away after the engine warms up, it only happens when the engine is warm and the car sits at idle (~800RPM).
Good luck with your problem though,

It turns out that there is a coolant pipe(approx. 1/2") that runs next to the cam belt cover. The pipe was putting pressure against the cover and had actually scuffed the inside of

I thought I had read a VW service Bulletin about this concerning the 2.0T Jetta's, you might have the dealer look it up.

Modified by kdoerner at 9:13 AM 2/22/2006

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts

I just heard this yesterday for the first time.
Guess what my only difference was? I left climatronic on, and the ac was kicked on. That's the only thing that I noticed that was different.
I'll test again later this afternoon.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts

Quote, originally posted by kdoerner »

This is not the same thing. This sound does not go away after the engine warms up, it only happens when the engine is warm and the car sits at idle (~800RPM).
Good luck with your problem though,

I thought I had read a VW service Bulletin about this concerning the 2.0T Jetta's, you might have the dealer look it up.
Modified by kdoerner at 9:13 AM 2/22/2006

I know its not the same problem,.....but someone may have a similar problem, so I posted in this thread since the title is/was appropriate.
Dealership did do a TSB check and it's new to them.
Just keeping the Vortex in the know. y'know. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
435 Posts

Having the fuel topped off also does not seem to be the problem for me. I have half a tank and the sound just came back. I am really frustrated with this. I guess it is time to call the dealership and see what they can come up with.
Please keep posting everyones progress, maybe we can figure this out.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: (redlineGLI)

I've been keeping any eye on mine.
ONLY time it comes on is when the ac is on AND econ is on. climatronic here.
Else, it's not making any tapping.

41 - 60 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.