VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 80 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Re: (syntrix)

I well I just discovered the same noise as the flapping noise from the emission purge valve in 1.8Ts. It happens under the exact same circumstances (warmed up, idling for a while). And it sounds nearly identical, only the noise in my MKV is a lot more faint I have to listen really hard to be able to tell whether it's there or not. Do 2.0Ts share the same kind of purge valve or do I have to take it in? I just don't like going to dealer's service department, too much hassles.
Any thoughts? Real problem? Sensitive ears?
Oh yeah BTW I opened the hood and could faintly hear it coming from the passenger side of the engine or somewhere like that.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: (KharatosGTI)

OK, So I have not had the noise for about a two week now
. The only differance: I stopped topping it off, and, a different gas station. I filled my car up at a 76 station. Normally I only use Cheveron or Shell. So I wounder in this thing might be gas brand related.
Or, It might have just ran its course. If gas was trapped in the charcoal filter it might have all evaped by now. Just thought it was weird that it hasn't done it since I changed gas stations.
Maybe this means nothing, I'll keep and ear out

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (VWGTIxxx)

What would the injectors have to do with an evap line? i think this valve and filter are pre-injectors.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (kdoerner)

I have noticed this with the 2.0Ts at my dealership. As a matter of fact, I was speaking about it with a customer who noticed it last night on a new GTI.
This is something that I have been looking at across the different platforms since it became available. While nothing has been offically mentioned to me about it, I'm keeping close tabs on the noise and anything that may end up being done to correct it.
As a matter of fact, I met the creator of this thread this afternoon (really cool guy btw) and I told him the same thing I just mentioned.
As I said, I will keep my ears open and pass along anything I hear.
Dennis

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (sundaydriver)

hey Dennis!!
thanks for the compliment...you have an awesome ride...maybe I can hear it sometime in the future...anyone in the metro DC area who wants to visit a great dealership that has a terrific attitude, go see Dennis...he's at Bill Britt VW in Fredericksburg, VA
gonna shoot you an email tonight
by the way, tapping sound is still there...the VWOA rep is calling me this coming week to set a day where we can go over the whole issue....I pointed this thread out to him...he said VWOA is following this thread for possible solutions

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (VWGTIxxx)

Quote, originally posted by VWGTIxxx »
fuel injectors are the cause of this.......

werd. man, the WRX's are infamous for the injector clicking. geezus...
its just the noise of the engine, deal with it. im sure it doesnt affect the performance, thats for damn sure.
some guys just need to stop being so paranoid.
alf

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (alfzong)

1. not looking to be famous...just want the frickin noise to stop

2. it isn't the injectors...as I said before, the dealer has sat in th car and said that this noise is not normal

·
Registered
435 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (pturner67)

I have had the same tank of gas in it for a couple of weeks now and I still get the noise intermittently. I have been waiting for a solution to pop up on here before going back to the dealer, but I may go speak with them tomorrow about all the posts and see if we can't narrow it down.
alf - please keep your comments to yourself, we are trying to solve an issue that obviously concerns us. You are not helping.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: (kdoerner)

OK, Third week, no noise.
I have only put 76 premium in the car the last three weeks, and no noise. Have any of you that are still having the problem tryed going to a different gas station? As an WTF, can someone try going to a 76 station near them next time and let me know if you still have it a couple of days later. I just this its weird that the noise stopped when I started using their gas. I am going to try and fill up with Cheveron again after this tank and see if it comes back.

·
Registered
59 Posts

To all those who think there's no issue here - you're wrong.
I have the same issue, and could have written the post using the same words. Seems like it's from behind the glove box, etc... It IS loud, and I've had the car for 6 months and never heard it before two weeks ago. Dealer looked at it but wasn't able to find the problem.
Not normal.
Thanks so much for posting this - I'm monitoring this thread from now on.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

Quote, originally posted by kdoerner »
OK, Third week, no noise.
I have only put 76 premium in the car the last three weeks, and no noise. Have any of you that are still having the problem tryed going to a different gas station? As an WTF, can someone try going to a 76 station near them next time and let me know if you still have it a couple of days later. I just this its weird that the noise stopped when I started using their gas. I am going to try and fill up with Cheveron again after this tank and see if it comes back.

This is a very interesting post. I use Shell exclusively maybe I'll give 76 a try and see if it eliminates the noise. The noise really isn't loud enough to bother me, I mean unless it's at night when there's no ambient noise at all and I'm in the garage with the stereo off, I can't hear it. So I'm not too concerned.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Re: (KharatosGTI)

the rep from VWOA is meeting me Friday...yesterday, I took the car to the dealer and had a tech ride with me...he was amazed at how loud the sound was...something interesting came of the ride, though
he got down and started listening for the noise...trying to locate the noise...listened everywhere...and guess what...the noise SOUNDS like it's coming from the glovebox when you are sitting upright...but, actually, the noise is coming from the center console area kinda near where the stick shift is located...he said this could be something sitting up against something metal and rattling against it...or, he said it could be in the transmission since the noise seems to go away when not at idle...also, the noise seems to disappear when the car is at an angle...he said that this seems to add to the theory that something is vibrating loosly against something metal
either way, they are going to get to it Friday after the VWOA rep hears it...just posting an update

Modified by pturner67 at 9:43 PM 3-8-2006

·
Registered
88 Posts
Re: (sniperviperman)

OK, I understand there is the potenital for a tapping sound from the lifters, BUT the noise coming through to the interior of my GTI is really loud--much louder than a TDI at idle. It eminates from what seems like under the psgr footwell. I Can hear it going 70 on a cement hwy if I go into neutral and coast for a while--begins as soon as the engine hits idle. I seem to recall someone suggesting there is a potential TSB for this and it is due to some hoses hitting each other when the engine is resonating at idle. Is this a possible cause? The noise is actually louder when I'm in the car with the doors closed than when I have the hood up and am listening from above the engine. I cannot imagine VW considering this noise within normal operating parameters.
Apologies for reposting my concerns about this but I just don't think it's a typical lifter sound, or an acceptable sound if indeed that's the cause.
Any thoughts??
Thanks again.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: (pturner67)

I had my gti in yesterday because of this tapping noise. it sounds like it is behind the glovebox, worst at idle, raises in tapping speed up until about 1200 rpm when it cuts out completely.
They were convinced that it was coming from within the car. the tech said that when he put his head into the pass footwell looking at the glovebox, it sounded like the noise was behind him and he thought the tapping was being reflected off the glovebox area but actually coming from the seat. He took the passenger seat out and found some pieces on the underside of the seat that would vibrate against the seat frame.
He then paded things under there with foam(I think it is funny that they have a "squeak and rattle kit" at the dealer- a tackle box with multiple sizes and types of self stick insulation)
On the way home from the dealer yesterday the noise was gone.
Today it is back but different.
Now instead of being constant at idle and going away at 1200, it only occurs transiently between 1k and 1200 rpm, so it quickly starts and then stops.
I will not do anything with it for a week or so to see how it goes. If it comes back I'll bring it back in for them to look at again and report back here with progress
-Anthony

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: (aconsola)

I am also having this problem. A couple of days ago the car started doing this. It first started making the sound from just above idle to 1500 RPM's. Now it is doing it from idle to about 1100 RPM's. I got my ear down in the passenger floor board yesterday and it sounds as if it is coming from the floor board or the firewall somewhere around the glovebox. My car is going to get checked next wed. Hopefully, one of these dealers will figure this out. I will report back.

61 - 80 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.