VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 120 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: VW of America has solved the problem

I was just called by a very friendly VW guy who said that a fix is being issued for the problem and that it is relate to the fuel line. I was surprised that he was more worried about a comment I made to an earlier survey about the FM radio reception not being very good. They really want to make sure that the new antenna works very well as it was intended to.
By the way, I have the grey GTI with the auto tranny which is excellent, as is the car overall. I am vry pleased. I'm new here and think this group is the best.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Re: VW of America has solved the problem (mike2003)

Yep, about 2000 miles on the GTI now, and there's that glove box annoying tapping sound. I have been aflicted with this tapping disease as well, so please post the actual FIX that VWOA supposidly came up with. I need to get this fixed, and like most VW dealers, if I don't take the fix in to them, they will have no clue how to fix it!! Thank you!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: VW of America has solved the problem (GPC777)

It's getting louder! or maybe it is just me obsessing about it, but it seems to have gone from intermittant when the engine is hot, to every time the engine is idling.

-Anthony

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Re: VW of America has solved the problem (aconsola)

ok...here's the fix...with pictures...written by the dir of service: THERE ARE THREE
LINES: MAIN FUEL LINE,MAIN FUEL RETURN LINE AND THE EVAP LINE FROM THE
FUEL TANK TO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD. basically, the 3 lines come from the fuel tank and go through the frame of the passenger side...the pics show the lines...then the oval shaped hole where the insulation has to go...the lines would rattle at idle...have you viewed the thread of the GTI tube from the engine through the firewall for the growl sound? well, the body frame is acting like that as well...the sound is travelling through the frame and comes out near the glovebox...that's why the sound seems to come from the glovebox...I hope other dealers are looking at this as well...hope it helps

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Re: (placenta)

fix is insulation going around the fuel lines in that oval hole...it stops them from moving around and rattling against the frame of the car

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
i want to re-write this in a different format.
THERE ARE THREE LINES:
-MAIN FUEL LINE
-MAIN FUEL RETURN LINE
-THE EVAP LINE FROM THE FUEL TANK TO THE INTAKE MANIFOLD.

Basically, the 3 lines come from the fuel tank and go through the frame of the passenger side. Then the oval shaped hole where the insulation has to go would cause the lines to rattle at idle. If you have viewed the thread of the GTI tube from the engine through the firewall, this is a similar noise transfer. The body frame is acting like a noise resonator as well. The sound is travelling through the frame and comes out near the glovebox. That's why the sound seems to come from the glovebox.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
Re: (placenta)

thanks for the rewrite...the oval hole doesn't cause the noise...the oval hole is where you can gain access to the lines for insulating them

dunno what insulation they used...I do know it worked well...car is silent other than a nice quiet purr from the engine

Modified by pturner67 at 7:50 PM 3-20-2006

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Re: (pturner67)

follow-up note: see the third pic down from the top...look far right...a green line coming from the rear and disappearing...that is one of the fuel lines entering the frame

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Re: (jksarbau)

Quote, originally posted by jksarbau »
Mine was fixed today (fingers crossed). Dealer called and said it was the fuel line hitting the frame. Apparently VW is now on to the problem and has a simple insulation/tie down fix in place.

Bob...we have a winner!!!!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine was fixed by doing what (a far as I can tell) is described above. The night I took it home from the dealer it started up again, but was not quite as loud. two days later it went away on its own and has remained that way for the last 5 days. As of right now I'd say it's fixed (but, then again, I've still got to drive home from work)

101 - 120 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.