VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 140 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: tapping sound (placenta)

I brought mine in today(for the second time) and they did the fix, discusing it with VW tech support. So far no rattle and no tapping http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
They also flashed the car to the new software since I had the no-start issue twice.
Thanks for all the info!
-Anthony

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: tapping sound (digitalhippie)

I dropped it off at 9 and they called me at work at 12 to tell me it was done, so less than 3 hours. Mine was the first one they did(they've only sold one mkV gti, mine), I'm sure subsequent ones will be faster, the tech said he spent a lot of time on the phone with the vw service rep.
-Anthony

·
Registered
583 Posts
Re: tapping sound (aconsola)

My car was silent until just recently. I have 2000 miles on it now. Without a doubt, I heard the tapping sound this morning.
Is the fix just a matter of stuffing some insulation inside the oval hole? How much did it take?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Re: tapping sound (redlineGLI)

so 9 days after bringing the car in and getting the tapping sound taken care of, and I'm sitting at a light. a dead spot in the music and I think I'm hearing that darned tapping again. couldn't be,
I must be

So I shut the radio off, close the sunroof, and idling at the next light, I hear the same old tapping noise, but faint and muffled.

now I'm wondering if I should bring it in for the 3rd time or live with it until I have time to mess with it myself.

Between this and the constantly wandering FM reception, I really miss my '98 vr6.
-Anthony

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
Re: tapping sound (aconsola)

I think the fix is probably not a high quality one...stuffing insulation into the hole to stop the rattle seems to open things up for insulation "settling" later on...I think a real fix would be a good quality spray insulation that expands...or, taking the 3 lines out of the frame and permanently mounting them to the outside of the frame
either way, 2 weeks after the fix and NO noise still...whew

·
Registered
120 Posts
Re: tapping sound (pturner67)

Does anyone know if there's a TSB for this problem. I have the exact problem and took it to the dealer to try and get a tech to just come out and sit in the car. I got the, "there's a wait" routine. I just want someone to sit in the car!
The best would be if I could drop it off and reference a TSB.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

Quote, originally posted by pturner67 »
I think the fix is probably not a high quality one...stuffing insulation into the hole to stop the rattle seems to open things up for insulation "settling" later on...I think a real fix would be a good quality spray insulation that expands...or, taking the 3 lines out of the frame and permanently mounting them to the outside of the frame
either way, 2 weeks after the fix and NO noise still...whew

I'm glad you made some progress with this. Normally it takes so long the next platform is roling out of the factory with people still talking about a "fix".
Our customers haven't reported any problems lately. Don't know if it's because the weather is getting better and people are taking off right away with their windows down or what...
Either way, congrats.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: tapping sound (sundaydriver)

I don't know if the "fix" is really the answer. Mine went away for about 1 month plus now, untill this weekend. Since I changed gas and stop filling it pass the pump shutting off (different than overfilling), the noise went away. I had always used Chevron and Shell, when i switched to 76's gas the noise went away. I decided to put in Chevron this weekend for a trip and also to test to see if the noise came back. I did overfill it slightly because of the length i had to drive and wanted to get there on a half a tank. Before i filled up with Chevron I was almost out of gas. Once I got to my destination and stopped for the first time at a traffic light, with about a half a tank left (all Chevron at this point), I heard it, I heard that damn noise again. Now I am not saying that Chevron caused the noise, all I can say is when I don't overfill it and use 76, NO NOISE
. When i used or use Chevron and push it a little on filling, NOISE
Just my observation.
Modified by kdoerner at 8:33 AM 8/15/2006

Modified by kdoerner at 8:33 AM 8/15/2006

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Re: tapping sound (kdoerner)

Quote, originally posted by kdoerner »
Now I am not saying that Chevron caused the noise, all I can say is when I don't overfill it and use 76, NO NOISE
. When i used or use Chevron and push it a little on filling, NOISE
Just my observation.

Sincerely,
Chuck Williamson
Unocal 76 CEO
hehe

·
Registered
407 Posts

Sincerely,
Chuck Williamson
Unocal 76 CEO
hehe

My cover is blown

p.s. maybe I should try some different gasses just to test my theory.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Re: (pturner67)

The 1.8T had an emissions recirculating seliniod that made a tapping sound. Some were louder than others. So you are right about that tapping sound. I was one of about 8 trillion people who took their car to the dealer for that sound just to find that I wasted 3 hours of my time. LOL
The guy took me for a ride at the dealer in another 2.0T and they could not reproduce THIS sound. Really, this sound is not normal. There is no way VW/Audi would allow cars off the line if they made this loud tapping sound. The tech at the dealer said this was NOT normal whatsoever.
We'll know Tuesday what it is.

the vr6 had this too + hollow cams that resonated the noise making them sound like they are ticking quite loudly

121 - 140 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.