VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
161 - 175 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Re: (HoneyNutz)

i have had this same noise on my golf 5 gti 2007 model from the day i bought it
took it to the dealers and they changed the releaser bearing as when the clutch was in the noise would stop.
the further then changed the gearbox and the entire clutch system and the noise is still there.
vw rep from factory says its normal noise and says its gear clatter.
i also get a bit of a whine at about 50km per hour.any body else get this?
if anybody knows the solution to these problems let me know

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (818tech)

My A3 has been doing it for about 3 months. Tapping sound in under or behind glove box, only occurs when the car is at idle. Usually goes away after the car warms up.
This noise is not normal!!!! It never occurred in the first 8 months of driving the car.
Anybody have a bulletin from Audi or VW? I will take it in soon unless someone knows how to fix it. Thanks guys....

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (818tech)

Quote, originally posted by 818tech »
normal.... Its called Direct Injection

Trust me if you heard this noise you would know it is not normal. Not a purring from the direct injection but a loud tapping that you ca heard over the music. It sounds like it is coming from the glove compartment but upon closer inspection it seems to be coming from under the passenger floorboards and reflecting up to make it sound like it is coming from the glove compartment.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got a tapping noise (only at idle) from the right side that was the Audi fuel line rattle - think there is a TSB about this. I easily fixed it with some pipe insulation around the fuel lines.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Re: very fast tapping sound (willijud8)

Quote, originally posted by willijud8 »
My A3 has been doing it for about 3 months. Tapping sound in under or behind glove box, only occurs when the car is at idle. Usually goes away after the car warms up.
This noise is not normal!!!! It never occurred in the first 8 months of driving the car.
Anybody have a bulletin from Audi or VW? I will take it in soon unless someone knows how to fix it. Thanks guys....

I cant believe this thread is 2 years old...lol
the vw/audi dealership should have the tsb info at the dealership
by the way, the insulation fix is holding strong on mine...2 years gone by and no tapping

·
Registered
28 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (pturner67)

Got the fix Friday. Oakland Audi secured the fuel lines under the car through panels you open to get in there. Didn't get the revised ECU settings, told service manager I have the APR Stage II. He said no problem. Good guys to work with.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (willijud8)

I have Golf Mk5 (2005) and it has the same sound coming from the glove box, I noticed that the sound disappear when AC is on (actually not when ac is on but when the air circulation is on
also it disappears when I move the car on reverse (manual gear)
when I put on idle again the sound re-appear.
the dealer replaced (flap motor) (some part of the AC) twice, but the sound still there.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (pturner67)

Quote, originally posted by pturner67 »

I cant believe this thread is 2 years old...lol
the vw/audi dealership should have the tsb info at the dealership
by the way, the insulation fix is holding strong on mine...2 years gone by and no tapping

I just started to hear this noise about 2 weeks ago

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Re: very fast tapping sound (TheBox)

Mines been doing it again now that's it's cold and rainy season. I've positive it's some sort of line tapping against something near the glove box. It's really annoying and anyone that rides me asks what the hell that noise is. It's not the normal engine sound, because it's coming from inside the car. That along with my exhaust rattle I just developed (I knocked my exhaust loose on accident and haven't tightened it back up) is adding up to alot of noises in my car

·
Registered
826 Posts
There IS obviously a problem. I have been following this thread, and of course, the tapping has just started behind my glove box, and sounds like it is coming from the belts, but I can't hear it without my doors closed while being inside the car. My car just turned 76k..there is obv a problem so instead of some of you guys belittling this problem, try to help find a solution. I need to figure this out.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As several have said, the loud tapping that seems to come from the glove box, and goes away just above idle, is very likely the fuel line rattle.
Yes, there's a TSB.
I fixed mine myself in about 30 minutes with some pipe insulation around the fuel lines under the passenger side (above a plastic panel that is easily removed and re-installed).

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Re: (HoneyNutz)

Quote, originally posted by HoneyNutz »
I had the fuel line rattle TSB done -- and of course this problem was not solved. Has anyone come up with a solution yet?

Yes, I'm bumping the old thread, but to add new information.
If you've done a 'fix' (official TSB & parts, or DIY) and the tapping sound is still there or comes back, then it's most likely the line tapping farther up inside the metal channel. You can fix that as well. See my updated January 2008 info here:
http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/2006/01/fuel-line-rattle-fix.html

161 - 175 of 175 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.