VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, guys my MKII is very sick and I'm looking for advice.
Here is what it is doing (or not doing) -
1) When I first try to start it, the car is very hard to get running. The engine turns over fine, no starter/battery problems but it simply will not start. The symptom is just like if the choke was completely closed on a hot day.
2) Once started, pushing the gas pedal to the floor does nothing. The engine just sputters and hardly runs with no acceleration and even sitting still the engine will not rev.
3) After driving like 5 mph for a while the car will suddenly just start running better and will take off and run at high speeds like there is no problem at all. I can drive it over 20 miles at highway speed with no problems at all but slowdown - the car dies and does the whole routine over again.
What I have done so far -
1) Checked the plugs. All of them look fine. Not covered with black oil or anything.
2) Tied the choke plate wide open to see if it would help - no effect.
3) Removed all the air cleaner stuff just to see if it mattered - no change really
4) Checked the oil for water or foam - none found
5) Checked to see if the timing belt is still on and it is. I have not taken off the cover to check condition but since it runs fine once it gets going I don't think the timing belt has gone bad
I have a Weber carb conversion coming, plus plug wires, plugs, new intake manifold gasket (including the O'ring), rotor, distro cap and air filter.
I will put all that on but can you guys think of anything else I should check or anything I can do to just get the car running good enough to drive around town in the mean time.
I personally think it is the 2E2 carb has gone bad. I suppose a head gasket could be a problem as well but it does not seem that way.
By the way the car is a 1985 Golf GL, 4 dr, Automatic, 1.6 with Pieburg 2E2 carb. Everything else is stock.
What do you guys think?

Modified by OldSchool85 at 11:42 AM 4-20-2006

·
Banned
3,582 Posts
Re: Very sick MKII (OldSchool85)

Sounds very similar to the problems I used to have on my old carbed 1.3. Hard to know for sure without running various test though

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

Does the choke work, ie, does it shut cold then slowly open over 5 mins running?
What is the idle speed hot?
Has the pulldown unit been checked?
Has the rubber carb mounting been checked for splits?
Is the airfilter clean?
Is the ignition and cam timing correct?
Does the distributor vacuum unit work and not leak?
Is the brake servo pipe ok where it joins the intake manifold?

·
Banned
3,582 Posts

Quote, originally posted by OldSchool85 »
What test?
What fixed yours?

I had problems with compresison in one cylidner and a dodgy vacuum advance unit
EDIT: Vdubs has given you a pretty exhaustive list above while I was writing this. Check all that, pplus if that gets you nowhere I'd start running compression tests and stuff.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Very sick MKII (Vdubs)

1) I can not check the choke because the car does not idle. However, I have snap tied it open for now so its not possible for it to close.
I seriously doubt it was working before though which is why I bought the Weber conversion
2) No idle. When it has idled it has been fine. I can not remember what it was but I checked using the service guide and it matched. I think it was around 1000 rpm
3) Sorry I don't know what the pull down is. I will look at the diagram for the carb and see. Not checked yet
4) I have not checked the rubber card mount. I can move the carb back and forth with my hand though - is that normal? I checked the three bolts holding the carb on and they are tight
5) Air filter is off for now. It was decent but not clean (good)
6) Timing is correct or atleast it should be. I have not changed it and the car was running fine until 3 days ago.
7) The vacuum is all good
8) Good question about the brake servo - I will check it

Modified by OldSchool85 at 12:13 PM 4-20-2006

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

The car doesn't need to idle to check the choke, it works off water temp.
Having no choke will make it run bad until hot.
How did you tie the choke off?
The pulldown unit is the black disc on the front of the carb with 2 vacuum pipes going to it, it needs to be tested to see if it holds vacuum.
The carb does move a bit normally as it's rubber mounted, it's a common fault for it to go bad and split. It needs checking properly.
Timing can move and needs to be confirmed.
How do you know the vacuum unit on the distributor is good, how did you test it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I know that the choke works off water temp but how am I going to check it if the car does not idle? What I mean is if I have to sit in the car and keep it running manually the choke will open or not open while I'm in the car.
Actually, I think I know what you mean. Check the choke. Crank the car keep it running five minutes, turn it off and check it again.
I don't think matters in this case. I drove the car for 33 miles a couple of days ago and it still had the same problem anytime I stopped cold/warm/hot.
I really could use another person for help

About the choke - why would the car run bad without it if it was warm outside? It should not even need it then should it? To my thinking the choke could be completely removed and on warm days the car would run fine - is that not true? I'm thinking that because my experience comes from Air cooleds and my bug had no choke at all on the carb I was using. It ran fine anytime it was warm.
I took a snap tie and put it around the arm going from the place where the arm pushes the choke open. Remember I consider this carb trash and will be replacing it next week. Just trying to get the car running somewhat to get around town - 2 or 3 mile trips.
I did not test the vacuum unit. The car was running fine and then, pow it changed all at once. To me that rules out vacuum unless a hose came off but they are all on. Am I wrong about that?
I should be able to plug off the vacuum for now anyway and still get a running car right? Again, I have seen bugs ran that way without any real problem. And I'm not talking about the 009 distro's (mechincal advance)
Anyway, don't take me wrong - just trying to clarify stuff, I am listening to what you are saying.
Modified by OldSchool85 at 1:25 PM 4-20-2006

Modified by OldSchool85 at 1:27 PM 4-20-2006

·
Banned
14,893 Posts

You can keep it running from the throttle at the carb.
It does need choke, even in hot weather the engine is cold an needs a richer mixture.
Is the butterfly itself locked open, the small lever on the choke breaks and the butterfly flaps about making it run bad.
It doesn't rule out a vacuum leak because it was an instant thing, if the distributor vacuum unit fails you not only have a lean mixture but you loose 12 degrees of advance at idle, if the servo pipe fails cylinder 3 and 4 run very very lean making it feel as if it's only running on 2 cylinder.
Plugging a vacuum line will only stop a vacuum leak but the item that was being controlled by the vacuum will no longer be working, the carb and ignition rely on vacuum signals.
A bug isn't a Golf, they behave very differently.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

"It doesn't rule out a vacuum leak because it was an instant thing, if the distributor vacuum unit fails you not only have a lean mixture but you loose 12 degrees of advance at idle, if the servo pipe fails cylinder 3 and 4 run very very lean making it feel as if it's only running on 2 cylinder."
All I can say is

I had another look at the plugs and one of them is in fact a different "burn" from the others.
Looks like I have a few things to check over tonight when I get back home.
Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

"What colour are the plugs, got any photos?"
I can take some this weekend.
I actually got all this stuff I ordered today - GSF Car Parts are amazing.
So this weekend I will swap out the carb and put on all that stuff I got and I will see how it goes. While I'm doing that I will check the stuff you mentioned and make sure I have proper vacuum.
For the other reply - The exhuast does look good

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Re: Very sick MKII (VRpoweredA2)

air, fuel, spark. one is slacking.
accel pump on carb working? dont turn the car on and look down the carb. when you grab the throttlr with your hand and turn it, you should see fuel squirt down the carb. if you dont, theres your issue. its possible to have too little or too much, so a rejet may be in order *edit* mean its just gummed up, and jets are easy to clog*

Modified by VRNasty at 11:04 AM 4-20-2006

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Very sick MKII (VRNasty)

"when you grab the throttlr with your hand and turn it, you should see fuel squirt down the carb. if you dont, theres your issue"
Interesting, I will check that before I put on the Weber
I say that because I'm sure I don't remember it squirting any fuel when I do that.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts

accellerator pump diaphram may be fragged if thats the case. the are less than 5 bucks for one if you can find just that part.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Very sick MKII (VRNasty)

For anyone curious
I did all the stuff I mentioned in my first post and the car now runs perfect
The problem was the stock carb was not injecting fuel at idle (not much anyway)
The timing, vacuum and fuel pump were all fine
Thanks for the help

1 - 18 of 18 Posts