VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I owned a 2001 GTI VR6 before, and I was not really that impressed by the suposed "Premium" Monsoon sound system.
(Weak Bass, poor imaging, gritty treble, etc.) But......I just picked up my new 2003 Jetta TDI with the new double DIN headunit, and I am blown away by how much better this system sounds!!!!!!
I happened to pop in one of my refrence SQ CD's, (Bjork, Vespertine) and I was floored by the bass!!! Now granted, this system didn't touch some of the mega expensive aftermarket systems I have put into my cars in the past, but this has to be one of the best factory systems I have ever heard for the shear "Fun" factor of it!!!
VW has obviously done their homework in how to use the acoustics of the car to reinforce the frequencies below 120Hz. (First time I have EVER felt a true Bass slam in a factory system that didn't sound like a fart.) But besides the sheer visceral effect of the bass, there was much improved midrange presence. I still think they can do better with everything abouve 4kHz, but again, it is worlds better than the system I had in my 2001 GTI.
Anyway....Am I just crazy, or has anyone else experienced this improvement? Does anyone know the specifics on what VW has done to improve this system?
Thanks!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
44 Posts
Re: Very Suprised by Stock Sound System in 2003 Jetta!!!!!!! (lupoDWDM)

I have a 2003 Jetta with the standard double din system as well and I was pleasantly surprised by the sound after reading all the complaints about the Monsoon double din system on the Vortex

It does sound much better than the standard single din system in my friend's 2001 Passat. That system was just plain muddy, and adding a CD changer didn't help (much).
Anyone else care to comment?? I am not an audiophile but I do agree that this system sounds much better than most "stock" stereos.

·
Banned
960 Posts
Re: Very Suprised by Stock Sound System in 2003 Jetta!!!!!!! (excal)

the monsoon is not a bad system, but once u hear even better stuff such as aftermarket components, monsoon is really a waste of money, the money u spent on monsoon upgrade could've been put towards better components,

·
Registered
1,723 Posts

The stock system in the Jetta and Passat does sound 10000% better than in a GTI/Golf. Strange but true.

·
Banned
960 Posts
Re: Very Suprised by Stock Sound System in 2003 Jetta!!!!!!! (gweedo)

each car's accoustic sound will be different b/c of where the speakers are setup and how large the cabin is, even if it's all the same equipment

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Re: Very Suprised by Stock Sound System in 2003 Jetta!!!!!!! (supertle)

Quote, originally posted by supertle »
each car's accoustic sound will be different b/c of where the speakers are setup and how large the cabin is, even if it's all the same equipment

I didn't feel the need to state the obvious on that one... It just pisses me off that VW crams such a POS system into otherwise fine cars. I was forced to buy the Monsoon for my GTI, and I have never wasted $350 on such crap. I mean, the stock stereo in a Kia sounds better than VW's "premium" system. Maybe if they had put some common sense into designing the Monsoon for the Golf platform... oh well... I'll take my custom install over a factory POS anyday.

Modified by gweedo at 5:55 PM 7-5-2003

·
Registered
5 Posts

The only thing that I did not want in my 03 jetta was monsoon and it just so happened the car i bought did not have it. I liked the way the factory speakers sounded and i did not feel like custom mounting new tweeters so i replaced the headunit and amped all the speakers in the car with a clarion 400.4 amp. It sounds great. After all the monsoon system is the same exact speakers as non monsoon, they just add a pos panasonic amp to them.

·
Banned
6,519 Posts
Re: Very Suprised by Stock Sound System in 2003 Jetta!!!!!!! (lilharv321)

I was discussing this with a friend last night.
Since the jettas have 4 doors the the rear speakers give you decent base because it uses the doors as a sort of enclosure.
The 2 door models have a big open space back there that kills the SQ
Just a theory of mine but sounds good

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Re: Very Suprised by Stock Sound System in 2003 Jetta!!!!!!! (Enfig Motorsport)

I just put an Alpine 9815 head unit onto my Monsoon system.
It sounds WAY better than with the stock Monsoon head unit. I had the double-din deck, and sure the illumination matched the dash... but I don't regret the upgrade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts