VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wanna know how crappy are the ones that came with my new dual 400c? lots of people are telling me that they fail pretty quick. im in the process of putting my air ride in and wanna know your opinion on wether to change it now or just leave it. i really am in my max budget already and dont really wanna spend more but if it will really save me from headaches in the future then i guess i can dish out a few more bux for them.

TIA!

·
Registered
720 Posts
ditch the leader lines, get some ptc fittings and smc check valves. Saves so many headaches. especially in the winter when the stock ones freeze and get stuck.

last thing you want is the check valve to get stuck closed and you cant fill the tank and raise the car.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
DO NOT USE NYLON AIR TUBING DIRECTLY OFF THE DISCHARGE OF A VIAIR COMPRESSOR.

I used nylon tubing off the discharge of my Air Zenith compressors but the viair's get ridiculously hot and will definitely melt your lines. Use a teflon lined SS braided leader line all the way from the compressor discharge to the tank (or any other source of mixing hot air with already cooled down air).

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

I used nylon tubing off the discharge of my Air Zenith compressors but the viair's get ridiculously hot and will definitely melt your lines. Use a teflon lined SS braided leader line all the way from the compressor discharge to the tank (or any other source of mixing hot air with already cooled down air).
Yes...i kinda thought of that too. So i guess i just need to take the inline viair chk vlve and replace with an smc one and keep the leader line on there right?

BTW....is the inline chk vlve on the viair leader line detachable?

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Yes...i kinda thought of that too. So i guess i just need to take the inline viair chk vlve and replace with an smc one and keep the leader line on there right?

BTW....is the inline chk vlve on the viair leader line detachable?
Correct, it should be able to just unscrew from the leader line

·
Registered
3,184 Posts

Oh, I thought you used air hose to connect the tee's and elbows for your triple compressors?

I'm thinking for me it won't be hot enough since fill time is probably max only 1min.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
I believe copper tubing to a PTC will work too.
I honestly wouldn't use copper + PTC on a vibrating line, its just asking for trouble

Oh, I thought you used air hose to connect the tee's and elbows for your triple compressors?

I'm thinking for me it won't be hot enough since fill time is probably max only 1min.

Yes i most certainly did, but i don't have a stupidly hot Viair compressor. The viairs get hot after about 10 seconds of running and you can't touch them after that, i can hold an air zenith in my hands for 5 minutes of running and can't tell a difference in temperature. This heat that the viairs makes will conductively make its way to the PTC fitting and the teeth/o-ring that holds and seals the nylon air tubing and will melt the crap out of it. Just my thoughts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ill just probably keep the leader lines and just add the SMC chk valve.

Now the SMC comes with both sides female npt's, do i need to get one of those hex nipples to put on the end of the chk valve? Coz right now im using a street T to connect my 2 comps before going to the water trap.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I honestly wouldn't use copper + PTC on a vibrating line, its just asking for trouble

Yes i most certainly did, but i don't have a stupidly hot Viair compressor. The viairs get hot after about 10 seconds of running and you can't touch them after that, i can hold an air zenith in my hands for 5 minutes of running and can't tell a difference in temperature. This heat that the viairs makes will conductively make its way to the PTC fitting and the teeth/o-ring that holds and seals the nylon air tubing and will melt the crap out of it. Just my thoughts
Well I'm using metal PTC fittings but it is definitely a concern now for me...

As for the cooper + PTC I'm thinking maybe it will work if I scored the ends of the copper to make sure it doesn't slip?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.