VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Mine only lasted about 10 months just now my one has a slow leak. Just ordered some SMC for both may as well just replace them and hopefully save you the headache later down the road.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
No I know haha, Andrew is good ****. I did that face because I'm doing the exact thing :thumbup::thumbup:
My bad :thumbup:

Well I'm using metal PTC fittings but it is definitely a concern now for me...

As for the cooper + PTC I'm thinking maybe it will work if I scored the ends of the copper to make sure it doesn't slip?
Yeah you can always try, however i believe that it might cause you problems. It is the same with any type of vibrating rotating equipment that is piped to hard piping, you always put a flexible section between the vibrating part and the non-vibrating part, especially when a seal is at risk. Or else you get an extremely secure part that is vibration resistant such as a swagelok fitting that has a very good metal-metal seal instead of using just an o-ring and some metal teeth to try and grab onto metal.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
My bad :thumbup:

Yeah you can always try, however i believe that it might cause you problems. It is the same with any type of vibrating rotating equipment that is piped to hard piping, you always put a flexible section between the vibrating part and the non-vibrating part, especially when a seal is at risk. Or else you get an extremely secure part that is vibration resistant such as a swagelok fitting that has a very good metal-metal seal instead of using just an o-ring and some metal teeth to try and grab onto metal.
Right on. Going to try it out to see if it works first. Have you changed your nylon hose setup? Did it melt?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Ok guys...looking around for viair comps with the SMC chk valves. Mostly i see guys putting the chk valve right after the leader hose and then a PTC fitting after. Or even some guys i saw the chk valve right on the compressor head with a PTC fitting on it. Now question is...do they really get that hot that there might be a chance to melt the air hose???

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
That picture is exactly what i would recommend. just thread that nipple into a port on your tank (with a reducer bushing if necessary) and call it a day....
Thanks. I could do that but based on my layout it would be hard(check the pic). I would still need to do a "T" for the 2 comps. That is why my plan was to use a street-T for the two line and just put a PTC on the T and airline from there to my water trap which is fitted to the tank.

My main concern is would it be too hot for the PTC that is on the street-T and melt the airline?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hate to bring up an old thread but I have similar issue. Viair 480c only about 14 months old. They won’t warranty the check valve. So I checked around and my setup uses a 3/8 line which means check valve is a 3/8 female to 3/8 male. The only smc check valve I could find was this one part #
AKB03B-N03S

here’s the link.

will this work for my application? It’s 3/8 NPT female to male. The only part I don’t understand is they call it a one touch.

I’ve also got a bad pressure switch which is an all in one pressure switch and relay from viair. My other one failed too which was on my 450c. After changing it, it worked for years. It still works same with the original compressor. Just upgraded to twin 2.5gallon tanks and 480c compressor. so had to upgrade to the 200 psi switch. So sad how viair has gone down hill with quality of check valves and customer support.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.