VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought what I thought was a normal 2002 gti. Insurance is trying to tell me that it is a 337 and when I do a VIN search it also shows up as a 337, but I am almost certain that it is not. It doesn't have the special seats, wheels, body kit, steering wheel, shift knob, or anything. Not even the 6 speed. So either someone has spend a lot of money and effort turning a 337 into a normal GTI or something is messed up. Does anyone know of a definitive way of knowing?

·
Registered
37 Posts
There was no markings like for 20AE. Sadly only way I know of telling them apart is with the int components, alu radio cage, red piping on seat belts, GTI Recaro seats, red stitching on handbrake, external body kit, ballpeen 18" Rims, few other bits too that I'm forgetting about too probably.

I did reach out to VW and ask them if they had any record of VINs associated to 337s and I got no answer from them. They probably don't care and just want me to buy a Golf R...um no thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
719 Posts
It's just an error in the system so any 2002 GTI GLS gets flagged as a 337 regardless of trim or transmission.

I do remember reading an article back in the day that the 337 was the lightest and most powerful GTI sold in North America at the time due to the introduction of the AWP (180 HP) 1.8t (also it was the introduction of the new 6 speed transmission) and the fact it was not offered with a sunroof or leather making it lighter.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's just an error in the system so any 2002 GTI GLS gets flagged as a 337 regardless of trim or transmission.

I do remember reading an article back in the day that the 337 was the lightest and most powerful GTI sold in North America at the time due to the introduction of the AWP (180 HP) 1.8t (also it was the introduction of the new 6 speed transmission) and the fact it was not offered with a sunroof or leather making it lighter.

This must be the problem. Being made at the same time and the same factory just messed some things up.

·
Registered
9,832 Posts
^Yup. VINs were mislabled. I looked at a black '02 GTI that had the same thing happen. 337s are only silver, so I knew it wasn't one right off the bat.

·
Registered
11,552 Posts
So the key question is, is your insurer trying to charge you MORE because they think it's a 337?

State Farm thinks my Golf R is just a Golf. Did with the previous one too. And my M2 Comp is just an M2. No idea if any of that affects their rates though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
So the key question is, is your insurer trying to charge you MORE because they think it's a 337?

State Farm thinks my Golf R is just a Golf. Did with the previous one too. And my M2 Comp is just an M2. No idea if any of that affects their rates though.
My wagon caught me that way. In Canada they are all golf's but one year they showed it as a Jetta. Talked to them about it and they changed it and then my rate went up $8 a year.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
^Yup. VINs were mislabled. I looked at a black '02 GTI that had the same thing happen. 337s are only silver, so I knew it wasn't one right off the bat.
I thought they came in Short Bus yellow, too. IY or was that just the 20th.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I thought they came in Short Bus yellow, too. IY or was that just the 20th.
Just the 20th got the colors (blue, yellow, and black). They also got sunroofs.

In Europe the 25th anniversary editions were also available in red IIRC and an optional 150 HP PD TDI. Always wondered how the diesels were in that one.

·
Registered
Imola 20th #1317
3,592 Posts
I second the error with the 2002's I remember when my 2002 was getting totaled by insurance all the paperwork stated 337, it was 5 speed with a sunroof...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts