VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought coils a while back and put em on the car, lowered it to my desired ride height and then went for a drive. too much rubbing. adjusted them, put them to full stiff which was still not a super stiff ride and went for a ride. still rubs pretty hard. these are almost all the way up and i cant drive it fast at all on the interstate cuz im afraid i am gonna do damage to my fender wells. long story short, im fed up with them. so, on that note, would you guys suggest that i just get the stiffest spring set up i can and swap those out, or get a coilover setup that has very stiff settings? if the second choice, what would you guys recommend for REALLY stiff rides?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Re: voightland coilovers not stiff enough for me (strely2)

what wheels are you running and also are you running any spacers cause i have bilstien pss9's all the way down in the front and the rears set to match and even on full soft i have no rubbing issues with stock aristos and 5 mm front and 15 mm rear spacers

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
You just can't increase the spring rate and expect the shocks to handle it. The shocks are valved for a certain spring rate and changing that rate will change the ability for the shock to function as it should. You might also consider rolling your front fender lips.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: voightland coilovers not stiff enough for me (blueduece)

Quote, originally posted by blueduece »
what wheels are you running and also are you running any spacers cause i have bilstien pss9's all the way down in the front and the rears set to match and even on full soft i have no rubbing issues with stock aristos and 5 mm front and 15 mm rear spacers

i have bbs ch, 18s and i dont have any spacers on the front. im thinking the issue isnt so much with them rubbing on the inside, its the outside im worried about. ive considered rolling the fenders which im sure would solve the problem, but i was trying to consider getting some more coils anyways and am wondering what i could get that have a really stiff ride.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

Quote, originally posted by strely2 »

... but i was trying to consider getting some more coils anyways and am wondering what i could get that have a really stiff ride.

Why do you want a setup that is really stiff?? All that will do is be uncomforatable, stress the car and be slower than a properly sorted (read compliant) setup.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Re: voightland coilovers not stiff enough for me (a4tq)

Go for some H&R coils. Their pretty stiff and might solve your issues.
I have a similar issue, but there's no way I will run H&R living in NYC.
It would just be too brutal!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Re: voightland coilovers not stiff enough for me (GR32)

I am one of the few people who have the H&R RSS coilover kit.
There is no coilover out there that can be stiffer.
But, be warned, this set-up is not for the majority, even those that think they want a stiff ride.
I made some modification to the RSS setup to make it bearable.
Im from Southern Africa where leaf-springs are the common ride comfort, but even these RSS' are pretty darn stiff.
the drop by the way is good for performance, it wont slam low like other MK4 H&R stuff, it drops it enough to be performance oriented, and looks good too, but not slammed.
these are non adjustable, only ride hight adjustable, so be aware that the stiffness you get is what you get, its locked.
honestly, after all is said and done, get the KW3s
Forget these neuspeed, koni and what-not set-ups, they are all top of the line stuff no doubt, but have been popularized in recent months more so by the ever growing newbies getting .:Rs
KW3s are tried and tested in the R32 community. Pretty much all track-day records set in R32s are done on KW3s
Look at QBNs SoCal numbers (and Leguna for that matter), he runs KWs, albeit the driver makes the difference, my point is that the KWs can perform to the driver's abilities.
KWs slam pretty low too, have all the adjust ability you could possibly want. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by howzit-eksee at 10:28 PM 9-15-2008

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: voightland coilovers not stiff enough for me (howzit-eksee)

well i want it stiff so it doesnt do something worse than make the car slow....i.e., bottom out and tear pieces out from under the car

hmm, h&r huh? do you have a picture of what the drop looks like. i dont necessarily want it on the ground, but def do want it to be performance oriented. at the very least, i have heard the stories of how stiff they are. kw is a nice company also, its def in the consideration pool. anyone know how many levels of adjustment i can get with the kw3? does it get anywhere as close to as stiff as the h&r rss?

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
i'm running KONI fully adjustable coilovers with H&R 60mm ID springs up front rated at 400lbs.
This by far has been the stiffest set up i have seen or rode in,
SO say it's too harsh, some, like myself love the feel/ride...
anything more will definitely be unbearable..

Maybe a few people that have driven or been driven in my car can comment.

Modified by Spoolin1X at 12:01 PM 9-16-2008

·
Registered
6,825 Posts

H&R but not the RSS ones, regular coils they sell, also non adjustable as far as firmness only height can be adjusted.
I absolutely love them, i had Billstein shocks and struts with Neuspeed springs and Koni coils in the past and this is def my most favorite setup, not to harsh at all.
Big advantage i found is that when your going low the risk of rubbing is considerably less because of the firmer setup.
Edit: in the pics above i`m all the way down in the rear, front still has plenty of threads left.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Re: (Spoolin1X)

Quote, originally posted by Spoolin1X »
i'm running KONI fully adjustable coilovers with H&R 60mm ID springs up front rated at 400lbs.
This by far has been the stiffest set up i have seen or rode in,
SO say it's too harsh, some, like myself love the feel/ride...
anything more will definitely be unbearable..

Maybe a few people that have driven or been driven in my car can comment.

H&R RSS are 1115# rear and 685# front...... top that

Quadruple digits son!!!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Re: voightland coilovers not stiff enough for me (howzit-eksee)

Quote, originally posted by howzit-eksee »
KW3s are tried and tested in the R32 community. Pretty much all track-day records set in R32s are done on KW3s

From another RSS owner

But, I agree with everything else howzit-eksee has posted. My car is no longer my daily because of the RSS kit; and even driving to and from the track sucks. I usually go to a chiropractor after a weekend in the car. It's on the track where the RSS kit shines.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.