VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Volksade's 2013 GTI: update March 26th

Newest update: New wheels + Revozsport spoiler

Factory Specs: Canadian car (Purchased May 23rd, 2013 )

-2013 Golf GTI 2-Door
-Manual Transmission
-Candy White Exterior
-Jacky Cloth Interior
-Sport Package:
-Sunroof
-Brushed Aluminum Trim
-18” Serron Wheels

Exterior:

-Golf R LED Tail Lights

Interior:

-OEM GTI Monster Mats

Powertrain:

-CTS Turbo TSI Intake
-Soundaktor Delete
-OEM Audi S3 Short Shifter
-Magnaflow Catback Exhaust

Wheels/Suspension

-18x8.5 Miro 111
-18x8.5 BBS LM Replica ( SOLD )
-18x7.5 Ronal Telladega's
-H&R Super Sport Springs

Future Plans:

-Coilovers
-Wheels
-Exhaust
-APR Stage 1

Ordered/To be installed

First day I took her home ( the other white mk6 is my girlfriends 2012 TDI Highline )

It didnt take long for the modifications to start.. Cherry Red Golf R LED tail lights 3 days later.

A couple quick photos over the weekend

Previous cars:

Sadly it came the time for me to sell my 1993 GTI that I had loved for 4 years.

Purchased in October of 2008
Sold in October of 2012

MKIII Sold

The day I sold it, I went out and purchased a 2004 GTI.

MKIV Sold
2004 GTI 1.8T Silverstone Grey
122xxx kilometres
SUPER clean car

Modifications:
APR Stage 1 tune
Full GTI Recaro Interior
Lowered on H&R Springs

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not much to update other than loving the car. I can't count how many times I've washed it so far. I'm getting used to the power now and it doesn't seem as fast as it was when I first got it. I'd like to go APR Stage 1 but I am hesitant with all the fried ECU's.

Still deciding on my next mod. It will most likely be coilovers but my mind is all over the map. :screwy:

Picked up some monster mats yesterday.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Not much to update other than loving the car. I can't count how many times I've washed it so far. I'm getting used to the power now and it doesn't seem as fast as it was when I first got it. I'd like to go APR Stage 1 but I am hesitant with all the fried ECU's.

Still deciding on my next mod. It will most likely be coilovers but my mind is all over the map. :screwy:

Picked up some monster mats yesterday.

LOVE the R tails... I want those so bad.

I don't know what you mean about "all the fried ecus" honestly I have heard it is VERY minimal, APR is by far the most conservative/safest tune, and you'll have MUCH more fun with a nice tune over suspension right away, plus it makes such a big difference without any supporting mods, there's really no hardware to worry about. If you buy and benchflash from a reputable dealer, talk to them about your concerns and i'm sure they'll put you at ease/offer you help if/when something ever happens.

·
Registered
241 Posts
LOVE the R tails... I want those so bad.

I don't know what you mean about "all the fried ecus" honestly I have heard it is VERY minimal, APR is by far the most conservative/safest tune, and you'll have MUCH more fun with a nice tune over suspension right away, plus it makes such a big difference without any supporting mods, there's really no hardware to worry about. If you buy and benchflash from a reputable dealer, talk to them about your concerns and i'm sure they'll put you at ease/offer you help if/when something ever happens.
He's talking about all the threads popping up lately about people's ECU's getting fried after tuning. It's not due to the software, but people are thinking it's due to the process of getting the software onto the ECU since they have to be physically opened to be flashed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's taking about all the threads popping up lately about people's ECU's getting fried after tuning. It's not due to the software, but people are thinking it's due to the process of getting the software onto the ECU since they have to be physically opened to be flashed.
Yes it seems that it is due to opening up the ECU. It is not meant to be opened and when it is forced things can crack and break. Hopefully APR does something or can change the way they tune. Until then I'm going to stay away

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Yes it seems that it is due to opening up the ECU. It is not meant to be opened and when it is forced things can crack and break. Hopefully APR does something or can change the way they tune. Until then I'm going to stay away
I was fortunate enough that I didn't have any problems with the GLI, I think it's because u sent my ecu directly to APR. why can APR flash stage 2 through the OBDII and not stage 1. Taking it out notching the screws and then not sealing it correctly seems like such an an ancient way of doing this. In light of all these new issues I'm staying away on the GTI also. Until APR gets it in their heads that the reason VW voids the ECU warranty is because they opened it. APR is the one that is voiding the warranty and they have the stones to tell their customers that they cannot be held liable for OEM malfunctions. Technically it's not their fault if an OEM part fails, but they can't say for certain that the part did or did not break while they were tuning the ECU. The fact remains that their method of installing their software is indeed voiding the consumers warranty then they should be responsible. I lost all faith and trust in APR and its sad because I really enjoyed my tune. But this is my daily driver in witch I drive my little girl around and I need it to be reliable and warrantied. So until they can flash OBDII I'm staying away as well.

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
I was fortunate enough that I didn't have any problems with the GLI, I think it's because u sent my ecu directly to APR. why can APR flash stage 2 through the OBDII and not stage 1. Taking it out notching the screws and then not sealing it correctly seems like such an an ancient way of doing this.
Once you defeat the ECU security, you can port tune... hence why Stage 1 to 2 is possible via port..

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Once you defeat the ECU security, you can port tune... hence why Stage 1 to 2 is possible via port..
I get that but APR claims to have reverse engineered this entire system and knows it better than anyone in the "world" other than Bosch as they put it. Then why such an archaic way of installing software!!

·
Registered
11,259 Posts
I get that but APR claims to have reverse engineered this entire system and knows it better than anyone in the "world" other than Bosch as they put it. Then why such an archaic way of installing software!!
Because that is how it has to be done... you think that they wouldn't port tune if they could?

VW got wise to port tuning, so obviously changed the ECU's that forced APR to involve hardware defeats.

So may recent threads on this, but I'm not sure why.... people should know that if you chip, you should expect hassles when you go in for warranty (on anything), and a possible fried ECU...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update March 26th: CTS Turbo TSI Intake installed

Installed the CTS Turbo intake on Tuesday. Besides from the unleash of the 2.0T's induction sound, my fuel economy has vastly improved. I was getting 250 Kilometres to half a tank before the install. After installing it Tuesday I filled up using Chevron 91. Yesterday as I looked down to half a tank of gas, I looked over and saw over 300 kilometres on the trip! Wow. I knew intakes helped with fuel efficiency but I never thought it would be to this extent. I'm impressed with this mod, and its kinda cool that it will end up paying for itself with the fuel savings.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Update March 26th: CTS Turbo TSI Intake installed

Installed the CTS Turbo intake on Tuesday. Besides from the unleash of the 2.0T's induction sound, my fuel economy has vastly improved. I was getting 250 Kilometres to half a tank before the install. After installing it Tuesday I filled up using Chevron 91. Yesterday as I looked down to half a tank of gas, I looked over and saw over 300 kilometres on the trip! Wow. I knew intakes helped with fuel efficiency but I never thought it would be to this extent. I'm impressed with this mod, and its kinda cool that it will end up paying for itself with the fuel savings.

Looks good and that is great on the fuel savings. My MPG has gone down since I have a nospeed p-flow. I like the sound of it though.

PS-love that mkIII :thumbup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Looks good and that is great on the fuel savings. My MPG has gone down since I have a nospeed p-flow. I like the sound of it though.

PS-love that mkIII :thumbup:
Thanks man :beer: I miss it a lot. I wish I could have kept it. It's weird how the Nuespeed has hurt your fuel economy.

Here is a roller of my car from the local Vancouver Spring cruise. I hate this angle of the mk6 2 door, but its a picture nevertheless.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wondering if anyone has had this problem:

My MDI from day one has been wonky. When my iPod or iPhone are connected I am not able to choose songs in the "selection". Ill click on it a bunch of times, get into "artist" or "playlist" and then it will boot me out. It is extremely frusterating. My girlfriend who is a sales person at Volkswagen tells me that a lot of them are glitchy like this. Does anyone else have this problem.

This is the non navigation unit.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts