VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been doing a little research on aftermarket tuning for the MKV GTI. My GTI only has 14k on it so I really don't want to void the warranty. I spoke with the service managers at two local VW dealers about mods. They said the only way to be 100% covered is to use aftermarket parts approved by VW of America.
After going on the vw website and searching some threads I've come up with nothing. Is there such thing as chips, exhaust, etc that have been actually approved for use on VWs by vw? Or is this just some bs and am I on a wold goose chase?

·
Registered
27,589 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Approved Aftermarket Parts (wetone)

the dealer is nicely telling you that any aftermarket part is a voider
no such thing as VW approved aftermarket parts unless they come from VW such as the dirvergear stuff
but thats just the votex kit wheels and the springs
any chip CAN "void" your warranty but just know your local laws stay within them and make sure that if the dealer says we wont warranty this because of that they have to PROVE that the aftermarket part caused the failure of the warrantied part
like if your ac compressor blows and you have a chip the dealer cannot deny the claim because you have a chip
most dealerships are ok with things like suspension and exhaust and even chips now so id say find a new dealer

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Volkswagen Approved Aftermarket Parts (JettaGT8V80)

thanks guys looks like im searching in vain.

·
Registered
969 Posts
as for the springs, the "driver gear" are Eibach Prokits (the ones you can get at VW directly)
other than GM (GMPP), Honda (HPF) and Hyundai (lol), I don't know alot of mods that are 100% supported by car companies directly... at least they are not selling them at the dealer, that's always a good indication...
I know for sure that most dealers won't whine about a suspension mod... but since there's no "OEM" performance upgrades for the engine/ECU/intake/catback, not sure there are any approved by VW

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Approved Aftermarket Parts (wetone)

The dealer by me will give you no warranty problems as long as they install all the aftermarket parts that you want

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Approved Aftermarket Parts (MattWayMK5)

i dont know where Ballston Lake NewYork is......but if ur close to
jersey theres a vw dealership Jack daniels in fair lawn nj they do Giac chips and are very mod friendly,,,,,,,if you go there ask for alan.....if u dont live close to the dealership i would go on websites apr revo giac and see if there are any vw dealerships near you that do the chips...........if they do then they will most likely not void ur warrenty for doing mods

Modified by 08VWGLI at 9:59 AM 1-6-2009

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Volkswagen Approved Aftermarket Parts (08VWGLI)

Really thats true I think there is one dealer that is mod friendly near me. I live in the Albany area so it is kind of a trip to take it down there. Thanks tho I deff apprecaite the input.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

Quote, originally posted by 08VWGLI »
i dont know where Ballston Lake NewYork is......but if ur close to
jersey theres a vw dealership Jack daniels in fair lawn nj they do Giac chips and are very mod friendly,,,,,,,if you go there ask for alan.....if u dont live close to the dealership i would go on websites apr revo giac and see if there are any vw dealerships near you that do the chips...........if they do then they will most likely not void ur warrenty for doing mods

Modified by 08VWGLI at 9:59 AM 1-6-2009

Thats who i was talkin about, they will keep warranty too if you have them install your aftermarket parts too

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Approved Aftermarket Parts (JettaGT8V80)

Quote, originally posted by JettaGT8V80 »
the dealer is nicely telling you that any aftermarket part is a voider
no such thing as VW approved aftermarket parts unless they come from VW such as the dirvergear stuff
but thats just the votex kit wheels and the springs
any chip CAN "void" your warranty but just know your local laws stay within them and make sure that if the dealer says we wont warranty this because of that they have to PROVE that the aftermarket part caused the failure of the warrantied part
like if your ac compressor blows and you have a chip the dealer cannot deny the claim because you have a chip
most dealerships are ok with things like suspension and exhaust and even chips now so id say find a new dealer

Actually, even having VW Driver Gear parts not installed by the dealer would also void warranties for the specific parts. This goes even for items such as roof racks. I had a problem with a roof rack, and my local dealer wouldn't service it because I had installed it myself, and taken it off myself; even though the instruction manual states that the user HAS to take it off when not in use.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Approved Aftermarket Parts (alanbrito)

I had the Driver Gear springs installed recently.
Not particularly happy with them. The front was lowered noticably, but the rear not so much. At least 1" in the front if not more but only 0.5" in the rear. The ride is great, and it is definitely stiffer, but the new rake is enough that I had to aim the headlights up (I've the bi-xenon lamps which are incredibly easy to adjust).

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Approved Aftermarket Parts (drive90)

well if nj is to far u would go with Paul Radosevich suggestion .......and do the apr chip at the dealer keep ur warrenty safe

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,476 Posts
Fixed it for you....

Quote, originally posted by Paul Radosevich »
My dealer (Volkswagen of Orchard Park), does APR right there.. And it doesn't void the warranty if the repair is done by VW of Orchard Park.

...YMMV with other dealers....

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,476 Posts
It won't keep your warranty "safe"

Quote, originally posted by 08VWGLI »
well if nj is to far u would go with Paul Radosevich suggestion .......and do the apr chip at the dealer keep ur warrenty safe

..but Orchard Park may assume liability for any damage - but that is NOT covered by any VW warranty....

·
Registered
153 Posts

also an addition to the chip question... apr chips are undetectable to vag-com diagnostic tools.. soooo..... as long as they dont install it for you.. they wont know its there =D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Volkswagen Approved Aftermarket Parts (Boostismydrug)

If I had the one in NJ do it would it still be covered or just at that dealer?
Also is it REALLY true that the dealer can not detect the chip when in stealth mode? I mean doesn't the ecu keep a running log of boost, air fuel ratios, ect? If they really wanted couldn't they find out?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: It won't keep your warranty "safe" (cb1111)

I had a firm talking at VW of Orchard Park... And all of my GTI's warranty specifics are still intact after the chip was flashed.

·
Internet Lighting Police
9,476 Posts
Incorrect....

Quote, originally posted by Boostismydrug »
also an addition to the chip question... apr chips are undetectable to vag-com diagnostic tools.. soooo..... as long as they dont install it for you.. they wont know its there =D

...a properly motivated dealer can ALWAYS determine if a car is chipped.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts