VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

261 - 280 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
Do you own one or just talk what you read/saw online?

8sec car is NOT slow up until 7-10 years ago that was a fast hatchback.
Who gives a **** what was slow 7-10 years ago? The Atlas is a recent model in a modern market. And regardless, it still drives sluggishly.

My dad had a 2004 Toureg with the Audi 40v V-8 the made ~315 horsepower. That thing drove like a champ, despite having an antiquated 5-speed automatic. It went 0-60 in ~7.2 seconds, but the engine growled and revved, and the smoothness and torque made it legitimately fun to drive. It was ENGAGING. It made you want to drive it.

The Atlas drives like a slug compared, even though on paper it has a similar power/weight ratio, etc., and similar performance numbers. Nothing about the Atlas made me want to mash the gas pedal or hit a turn a little bit too fast. Sure, as family transport, it's handsome and functional. But it's no enthusiast car. Which is why the new Atlas Cross Sport is disappointing.

Hell, if I bought an atlas, I would actually buy a 2.0T SE model. You can get those with big discounts for cheap, and a simple JB4 will make it just as powerful, much more torquey, and much more engaging than the VR6 model.

And just so we're clear: I cut my teeth driving VR6's. I had a cammed VR6 MK4 that I loved. But in the Atlas? blech (at least for entertainment purposes. It's a great family hauler. Don't take this the wrong way).

·
Premium Member
7,972 Posts
Looking for engagement in a 3 row is a bit silly. However a similarly priced & equippped full size pickup is way faster than this for the same money. I don't think the expectations of above average performance in an above averaged priced vehicle is unreasonable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hut seriously, which other suv in that same price range is better and more ENGAGING?

A HIGLANDER? KIA? HYNDAI? ACADIA?

yes, a V8 touareg will be more fun. Ofcourse.
A BMW X5 V8 which I drove is more fun.

But its STILL heavy junk and drives like a garage.
Yeah engine noise makes it feel like ur driving a sports car, but they are simply just not sports cars.

You find that out first time you throw it in a curve and start figjting for dear life.

If you live in US and dont get off the highway into proper roads you wont know that.

I personally dont see the point to cross sport.

They should of just facelifted existing atlas to that style and thats it.

It has same wheel base, same rear bench space, but u loose third row. Like, lol.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
Looking for engagement in a 3 row is a bit silly. However a similarly priced & equippped full size pickup is way faster than this for the same money. I don't think the expectations of above average performance in an above averaged priced vehicle is unreasonable.
I disagree. Particularly with the advent of mid-size 3-rows like the Atlas.

Also don't forget that this car uses the same platform as the GTI. I'm not saying that it can ever handle like a GTI, but it wasn't IMPOSSIBLE to have made it a bit more sporty. VW chose not to -- likely to keep costs down (they didn't want this to become a new Toureg -- an excellent car hobbled by a huge price tag).

So what you have is a parts bin, aging engine in a car that was designed to a price point. Not the end of the world, but also not something I am tremendously excited to buy.

We went with an MDX instead. It has a fun and revvy Honda V-6 (which, though antiquated, still growls and snarls a bit), it handles sharper (although still a bit numb), and it overall feels like a better car. And we got it for ~$42,000. Granted, it's a base model, but it has leather, sunroof, heated seats, laser guided cruise control, steering assist, 3-zone climate control, etc. Also, despite being heavier, and only having a 295hp V-6, it still manages to go 0-60 in the high 6-second range.

When the new MDX is released next year, it will signal the end of one of the best quasi-luxury SUV deals of the last few years. The new MDX will be priced much more closely with the Lexus competition.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
Hut seriously, which other suv in that same price range is better and more ENGAGING?

A HIGLANDER? KIA? HYNDAI? ACADIA?

yes, a V8 touareg will be more fun. Ofcourse.
A BMW X5 V8 which I drove is more fun.

But its STILL heavy junk and drives like a garage.
Yeah engine noise makes it feel like ur driving a sports car, but they are simply just not sports cars.

You find that out first time you throw it in a curve and start figjting for dear life.

If you live in US and dont get off the highway into proper roads you wont know that.

I personally dont see the point to cross sport.

They should of just facelifted existing atlas to that style and thats it.

It has same wheel base, same rear bench space, but u loose third row. Like, lol.
Well, the Mazda CX-9 is far more engaging. The Subaru Ascent has a cool Subby turbo boxer engine -- and a nicer interior. The MDX is better. The Honda Pilot is better. Though I haven't driven the new Telluride, the reviews are very positive.

Again, the Atlas is an OK car -- a great car, in fact, for certain purposes. But I test drove damn near everything out there (a year ago), and the Mazda CX-9, Subaru Ascent, and MDX were the final contenders. Wife went with MDX in Performance Red.

But everyone has their own opinion.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I might just be wrong.

I dont like SUVs, I find them all too big, too heavy, all drive like sxxxt, I find this whole craze for SUVs just ridicolous.

But, us, personally with 4 kids we had very limited options. Either an SUV where Atlas EXCELLS as family hauler, interior is spartan but very functional.
Or a minivan which a sxixboxes on wheels, unsafe, most 2wd.

I drove q7, x5, touareg, and all off them feel the same, big and heavy.

Responding from a Touareg owner's perspective, the Touareg with it's five seater config is perfect for a family of 4. However the Atlas would be your ideal size for a family of 6 or more.

I'm still truely confused by Volkswagen's refusal to update the tired old 3.6 and or offer a V8 option with it's towing capacity. Volkswagen continues to loose potential buyer's. Volkswagen needs to set the Bar high, offer customers a wider menu of options including the new T3 Touareg for North America. Offer the Flagship!!! When a buyer walkes through the show room, the customer should have 100% confidence that he or she can walk away with the perfect optioned out vehicle. Volkswagen sold 354,064 vehicles in North America for 2018 :facepalm:

·
Registered
26 Posts
And is still no1 or two (up there) in the WORLD, and world is NOT US of A

VOLKSWAGEN quite literraly means people's car.

Not fancy smancy but relativelly affordable, that gives a lot for the money.

You want more? Go to their sister companies, like AUDI, you want engaging? Go get Lambo URUS

VW has you covered. They own all of them.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
And is still no1 or two (up there) in the WORLD, and world is NOT US of A

VOLKSWAGEN quite literraly means people's car.

Not fancy smancy but relativelly affordable, that gives a lot for the money.

You want more? Go to their sister companies, like AUDI, you want engaging? Go get Lambo URUS

VW has you covered. They own all of them.
ok. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
As I said, I own one, and have 4 children and a wife, and fully loaded never, but never, I felt its underpowered.

People, car has 280hp, and its enough for 99% of userea.

You want too tow a house, well, grab a cayene turbo or some triple the price SUV.

You have an atlas and had problems towing jet skis? Or just talking out of your behind?
:beer:

Some of you don’t remember how everyone thought that the 175hp Mustang GT was a revaluation and it shows.

It’s a giant people mover and it has 280 (that’s two hundred and eighty freakin’) hp, yet some of you act like that’s personally insulting. It doesn’t just compare favorably to a diesel Rabbit (which for the record had something like 46 hp) it compares favorably to truly fast cars of the early ‘80s. It has 24 more hp than the original 911 Turbo. Sure, it’s a much bigger and heavier car, but come on. It’s a family hauler.

Something something spoiled kids something.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Some of you don’t remember how everyone thought that the 175hp Mustang GT was a revaluation and it shows.

It’s a giant people mover and it has 280 (that’s two hundred and eighty freakin’) hp, yet some of you act like that’s personally insulting. It doesn’t just compare favorably to a diesel Rabbit (which for the record had something like 46 hp) it compares favorably to truly fast cars of the early ‘80s. It has 24 more hp than the original 911 Turbo. Sure, it’s a much bigger and heavier car, but come on. It’s a family hauler.

My point exactly

You have a beer if you ever find your way in Toronto.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts
:beer:

Who cares? It's a 2019/2020 car. It's 35-40 years newer than the cars to which you are comparing it. That's like comparing a 1985 Porsche to a 1949 Ford.

The bottom line is that against its contemporaries, the Atlas has middling performance numbers (not terrible, but certainly not class leading), and it drives sluggishly. Why does acknowledgement of this fact make someone spoiled?\

More importantly, though, given that the drivetrain is identical to the "Atlas Cross Sport," it's more than reasonable to call VW out on making a "Sport" SUV that is in no way sporty.

·
Premium Member
7,972 Posts
I disagree. Particularly with the advent of mid-size 3-rows like the Atlas.

Also don't forget that this car uses the same platform as the GTI. I'm not saying that it can ever handle like a GTI, but it wasn't IMPOSSIBLE to have made it a bit more sporty. VW chose not to -- likely to keep costs down (they didn't want this to become a new Toureg -- an excellent car hobbled by a huge price tag).

So what you have is a parts bin, aging engine in a car that was designed to a price point. Not the end of the world, but also not something I am tremendously excited to buy.

We went with an MDX instead. It has a fun and revvy Honda V-6 (which, though antiquated, still growls and snarls a bit), it handles sharper (although still a bit numb), and it overall feels like a better car. And we got it for ~$42,000. Granted, it's a base model, but it has leather, sunroof, heated seats, laser guided cruise control, steering assist, 3-zone climate control, etc. Also, despite being heavier, and only having a 295hp V-6, it still manages to go 0-60 in the high 6-second range.

When the new MDX is released next year, it will signal the end of one of the best quasi-luxury SUV deals of the last few years. The new MDX will be priced much more closely with the Lexus competition.
Most 3 rows in this segment are boring as **** and not fun to drive. Even the best ones are meh. How much fun can a 5000lb shed based on a family sedan be?

But several at least haul the mail with some level of authority, which is nice. Having adequate thrust is one less point of stress while driving, which is about all you can really ask for from a vehicle in this segment. My wife has an old MKX... I'm never excited to drive it, despite it having decent performance and handling... but I'm never annoyed or frustrated with it in the way I am with slower cars (it runs through the quarter in just over 15 seconds which is just outside the threshold of what I deem acceptable).

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Who cares? It's a 2019/2020 car. It's 35-40 years newer than the cars to which you are comparing it. That's like comparing a 1985 Porsche to a 1949 Ford.

The bottom line is that against its contemporaries, the Atlas has middling performance numbers (not terrible, but certainly not class leading), and it drives sluggishly. Why does acknowledgement of this fact make someone spoiled?\

More importantly, though, given that the drivetrain is identical to the "Atlas Cross Sport," it's more than reasonable to call VW out on making a "Sport" SUV that is in no way sporty.
No, I did the opposite of that. I compared a modern people mover to one of the fastest cars of any type available in 1976. The point of doing that is perspective. This thing is faster than most early 911s, some of which had all of 125 hp. When the SC came out it had 183 and was considered pretty damn fast. I’d have to look up the numbers, but this thing is probably right with it.

As far as it being middle of the pack that’s entirely the point. Slow cars are practically nonexistent these days and anyone calling a 280hp passenger car of any type slow is just silly.

“Sport” is meaningless at this point. Between the Explorer Sport and Corolla Sport, denoting the cheap-ass versions, it has come to mean base model as much as it means anything else.

·
Premium Member
7,972 Posts
No, I did the opposite of that. I compared a modern people mover to one of the fastest cars of any type available in 1976. The point of doing that is perspective. This thing is faster than most early 911s, some of which had all of 125 hp. When the SC came out it had 183 and was considered pretty damn fast. I’d have to look up the numbers, but this thing is probably right with it.

As far as it being middle of the pack that’s entirely the point. Slow cars are practically nonexistent these days and anyone calling a 280hp passenger car of any type slow is just silly.

“Sport” is meaningless at this point. Between the Explorer Sport and Corolla Sport, denoting the cheap-ass versions, it has come to mean base model as much as it means anything else.
Speed is relative to a car's contemporaries. That this Atlas destroys 40 year old sports cars on performance metrics is irrelevant. It didn't exist 40 years ago. It exists today, and compared to its contemporary benchmarks it is slow.

If you drive on roads with no other traffic a car's speed doesn't even matter. But for merging with traffic, going up grades, passing people- relative performance matters. The Atlas VR6 is far from dangerous, but compared to something like a Pilot it would definitely be annoying.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts

I mean it's all relative, isn't it? It's pointless to argue over relative yardsticks for "slow."

I will tell you that when I rented the Atlas the first time, I was excited being a 1990's and early 2000's VR6 Enthusiast. There was a slight Wookie warble noise, so I cracked a smile at that, but once I smashed the gas, I actually said, "my god this thing is slow." That was my subjective opinion. I was actually shocked that its performance numbers are as fast as they are. I think a big portion of its seeming slowness is the sluggish transmission. But it felt slow. I don't know if that makes me spoiled, or just accustomed to modern cars.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Speed is relative to a car's contemporaries. That this Atlas destroys 40 year old sports cars on performance metrics is irrelevant. It didn't exist 40 years ago. It exists today, and compared to its contemporary benchmarks it is slow.

If you drive on roads with no other traffic a car's speed doesn't even matter. But for merging with traffic, going up grades, passing people- relative performance matters. The Atlas VR6 is far from dangerous, but compared to something like a Pilot it would definitely be annoying.
What I’m saying is that you’re spoiled if you think it’s slow. I’m not suggesting that yesterday’s metrics are to be applied universally today, I’m saying that you’re young enough that you have no perspective and to even think a 280 hp car is slow (no longer merely “not fast” you’ll note) is just silly.

·
Registered
15,390 Posts

Also, even that is somewhat meaningless. If you go back a bit further, there were other ridulously fast cars like the 427 A/C Cobra, various hi performance Corvettes, etc. It's all relative.

·
Premium Member
7,972 Posts
What I’m saying is that you’re spoiled if you think it’s slow. I’m not suggesting that yesterday’s metrics are to be applied universally today, I’m saying that you’re young enough that you have no perspective and to even think a 280 hp car is slow (no longer merely “not fast” you’ll note) is just silly.
Oh please. Plenty of people my age here have had much slower cars than the Atlas. That's not relevant either. For a 2019MY $40-50K anything the Atlas is slow. It is what it is. The fact that you feel the need to call people who disagree names and undermine their credibility rather than address their actual points shows how much conviction you have in your stance (i.e. not much)

261 - 280 of 369 Posts