VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 369 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Holy Moly. What a huge improvement. Now the Atlas is actually good looking. The original one is so butt ugly, but this one is actually good looking. VW did good here. Love the interior upgrade too and the use of the short fat shifter.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I'd buy this over the Tiguan every day and twice on Sundays....
Definitely.

The new 2018 SEL-P tig used to look better than the Atlas. But with this iteration, this is definitely better looking now. I'd say the Atlas even rivals in looks to the old, maybe even new, touareg.

The current Atlas is fugly. I'm glad they improved on it so quickly within a year or so of release. Or maybe this new look is only for the "Cross Sport". Who knows. But they should do themselves a favor and improve the normal Atlas too.

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
I like it, but the wheels need to be smaller. Which I can't believe I am saying, based on how small 18-inch rims look on the normal Fatlas.
The one in the press photos (renderings) is easily 2” lower than the one shown in NY. Production ride height will probably be even a bit higher than the show car, and I’ll bet the “base” wheels will be 18” or 19”.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Still don't care for VWs new design language, especially their grille designs. They just do nothing for me, this included. The GTI/R is the only VW on this side of the pond that would tempt me.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Also: even passing it through the mental show-car-to-production filter this looks awesome. With the Arteon and now this it seems like VW’s styling department is finally finding a groove again. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I wonder what they will do to the light bars in the grill for the production model, as I don't think those light highlights in the grill is 'road legal'. Will that lead to a change in the design of the headlights itself and the daytime running lights?

·
Registered
32,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I wonder what they will do to the light bars in the grill for the production model, as I don't think those light highlights in the grill is 'road legal'. Will that lead to a change in the design of the headlights itself and the daytime running lights?
...They probably just won't light up the grille. The Arteon's LEDs flow into the lines of grille, but the grille doesn't light up.

·
Registered
21,657 Posts
America: RAWWWWR VW IS EVIL. TDI DESTROY ENVIRONMENT. ANGER. RAGE. ARGHHHH. DESTROY ALL VW.

VW: Okay, we'll stop making TDIs. Here are 3 new bigger SUVs instead to replace the previous Tiguan and the Touareg which you guys thought were too small. They're... uhh... yeah. You can have them.

America: :)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Volkswagen Grand Cherokee
*exactly*

We've got a '17 JGC Overland that we love, but this would be one tempting model to look into once wifey's lease comes up in a few years.

Seriously, Volkswagen needs to get this into production much sooner rather than later. Atlas and Tiguan are nice, but this looks to be the "goldilocks" model.

·
Registered
17,751 Posts
America: RAWWWWR VW IS EVIL. TDI DESTROY ENVIRONMENT. ANGER. RAGE. ARGHHHH. DESTROY ALL VW.

VW: Okay, we'll stop making TDIs. Here are 3 new bigger SUVs instead to replace the previous Tiguan and the Touareg which you guys thought were too small. They're... uhh... yeah. You can have them.

America: :)
I get the point of your post, but in a lot of ways the TDI "scandal" forced VW to get competitive in the North American market.
CUVs/SUVs have been a big part of every other brand's success story, for about 10 years now.
VW was so married to its niche TDI strategy, that it was limp dickedly trying smash diesel compact hatchbacks and sedans into a marketplace that didn't want them (in great numbers).
It was like they were looking at what Ford, Honda, Toyota, and Nissan were bringing to the market, but ignoring their successes, and saying "Nah, these people want Golfs, an over-priced non-luxury brand SUV, and a tiny underpowered CUV.". You joke about VW tailoring their new products to the needs of North America/US, but I know that their new approach will ensure their viability here, even if they lose some fanboys.

·
Registered
17,751 Posts
*exactly*

We've got a '17 JGC Overland that we love, but this would be one tempting model to look into once wifey's lease comes up in a few years.

Seriously, Volkswagen needs to get this into production much sooner rather than later. Atlas and Tiguan are nice, but this looks to be the "goldilocks" model.
I am all in, on what you are saying.

I am tiring of the Wrangler, and considering a Grand Cherokee or some other mid-sized CUV.
With really no news about when a new GC might launch, and feeling dubious about FCA quality, I am considering other brands.
I've owned two VWs, in the past, that I have been reasonably happy with, so the new Tig and Atlas are both on my radar.
The Tig is probably too small or wagon-like, and the Atlas is bigger than what I need. The Atlas Cross Sport, however, feels perfect.
It is sized and styled toward the sweet spot of the marketplace, where the Grand Cherokee lives, but will probably be more efficient and reliable.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
So, eliminate the vertical cargo/3rd row capacity in exchange for a more dramatically angled D-pillar, and the crowd goes wild?

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
18,007 Posts
So, eliminate the vertical cargo/3rd row capacity in exchange for a more dramatically angled D-pillar, and the crowd goes wild?
There is also a new grille, and the roof has been chopped. The proportions are much better than on the 7-seat. But yeah, the basic body design is the same.

·
8,004 Posts
Go small or go home.

I gotta agree with others: the standard Atlas is way too big for my household. The Tiguan *should* be the "right" choice for us, but it still feels a bit too small. This Cross Sport is right where we'd want to be, size-wise, if we were in the market for an SUV.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Mercury had a "light bar" for a grille in the 80's - perhaps it won't be an issue. Maybe it'll start a trend like LED DRL's a few years back and soon all cars will have lighted grilles.

Please no.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
The door handles being that low looks so stupid. And everything about it still reeks of cost cutting. But it's a good effort compared to the regular Atlas.

21 - 40 of 369 Posts