VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 60 of 369 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,964 Posts
The door handles being that low looks so stupid. And everything about it still reeks of cost cutting. But it's a good effort compared to the regular Atlas.
I didn’t really catch how low those are when integrated into the body line there - now that you mention it, I can’t unsee it, thanks :laugh: but I really like it overall, and think they’ll do well with it.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I didn’t really catch how low those are when integrated into the body line there - now that you mention it, I can’t unsee it, thanks :laugh: but I really like it overall, and think they’ll do well with it.
It's still a concept so it that could still change. I don't really see the other cost cutting that he's saying it reeks off, unless I'm just not seeing it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hells yes. Was pissed the Tiguan wasn’t coming here but this is in line with the general design so happy to see something like it come to the states. Next vehicle for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,730 Posts
So, eliminate the vertical cargo/3rd row capacity in exchange for a more dramatically angled D-pillar, and the crowd goes wild?
I guess the easiest comparison to make is the difference between the Ford Explorer and Ford Edge.
Both are very similar vehicles (if not exactly related under the skin).
The Explorer has a lot of things going for it, but it simply is too big for my needs.
The Edge is the right size (Goldilocks Zone), but the Escape would be too small (in size and frankly "prestige").

·
Registered
17,730 Posts

So choice!
The rise of electric cars will once again make big ass radiator grilles seem silly.
Car companies will have to fill that space with some other signature design element.
It might not be full width "light bars", but I can certainly imagine LED screens that have an image of a traditional grille, that
can also display messages to other drivers/pedestrians. This would also be useful for announcing the arrival of ride-share cars, food delivery, etc....

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
So, eliminate the vertical cargo/3rd row capacity in exchange for a more dramatically angled D-pillar, and the crowd goes wild?
As someone else said, there's way more to it. For example, I don't think a regular Atlas would fit in my garage with all the other stuff I have in it. Atlas CS would comfortably. We are only planning to have 2 kids... as long as the trunk can hold all our baby stuff we don't need a 3rd row.

Plus to me, as vain and superficial as this is, 3 row crossovers and minivans represent complete submission to me. A 2 row with some concessions for style says "I have a family and value practicality but style still matters". Whether or not that's dumb or pointless is up for debate, but to me something like the regular Atlas might as well be a school bus. There are exceptions of course like the CX-9 but that is still too big for us

·
Registered
32,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hells yes. Was pissed the Tiguan wasn’t coming here but this is in line with the general design so happy to see something like it come to the states. Next vehicle for sure.
http://www.vw.com/models/tiguan/

It might not be full width "light bars", but I can certainly imagine LED screens that have an image of a traditional grille, that can also display messages to other drivers/pedestrians. This would also be useful for announcing the arrival of ride-share cars, food delivery, etc....
Yuuuup. Mercedes has been showing stuff like that off for the past couple years; look at the EQ concepts they've released.

·
Registered
18,445 Posts

So choice!
The Tracer's grille did not light up, IIRC. Only the Sable's did on first and second generation models.

The only other car I can think of that had a light bar was the early 90s Grand Prix on some upper trim lines.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
As someone else said, there's way more to it. For example, I don't think a regular Atlas would fit in my garage with all the other stuff I have in it. Atlas CS would comfortably. We are only planning to have 2 kids... as long as the trunk can hold all our baby stuff we don't need a 3rd row.

Plus to me, as vain and superficial as this is, 3 row crossovers and minivans represent complete submission to me. A 2 row with some concessions for style says "I have a family and value practicality but style still matters". Whether or not that's dumb or pointless is up for debate, but to me something like the regular Atlas might as well be a school bus. There are exceptions of course like the CX-9 but that is still too big for us
The Cross Sport Concept is only 8" shorter in length than the current Atlas, and it's an inch wider.

I'm not disagreeing that it's a far more aesthetically pleasing vehicle than the regular Atlas, but if I'm conceding to needing a vehicle this big already, I'd hate to lose the functionality of the vertical cargo space that the squareback SUV shape offers over the fastback.

·
Registered
44,315 Posts
The Cross Sport Concept is only 8" shorter in length than the current Atlas, and it's an inch wider.

I'm not disagreeing that it's a far more aesthetically pleasing vehicle than the regular Atlas, but if I'm conceding to needing a vehicle this big already, I'd hate to lose the functionality of the vertical cargo space that the squareback SUV shape offers over the fastback.
That could easily make all the difference in the world. As I noted recently my business partner had to cut out a section of drywall to get his F150 in his garage and can only park it in there because of the rear proximity sensors letting him know how close he is. Without that he would've cracked the drywall a long time ago, perhaps done more damage.

I personally have absolutely no use for a third row now, so I'd take the shorter package even if they were the same price.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Should someone check on Turbio? There's been at least 3 VW threads this week and he hasn't stopped in to do his normal shtick of "VW is terrible as a business and the design is too boring and everyone should buy a Subaru instead".

Seriously. Where is he?

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Should someone check on Turbio? There's been at least 3 VW threads this week and he hasn't stopped in to do his normal shtick of "VW is terrible as a business and the design is too boring and everyone should buy a Subaru instead".

Seriously. Where is he?
probably online browsing for The North Face goods.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,120 Posts
America: RAWWWWR VW IS EVIL. TDI DESTROY ENVIRONMENT. ANGER. RAGE. ARGHHHH. DESTROY ALL VW.

VW: Okay, we'll stop making TDIs. Here are 3 new bigger SUVs instead to replace the previous Tiguan and the Touareg which you guys thought were too small. They're... uhh... yeah. You can have them.

America: :)
I literally lol'd. :beer:

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Just give us the ****ing Touareg :facepalm:
Dude. I know why you feel the way you do. The new T-Reg is amazing. I would love one. I loved the v8 gen 1. I loved my friends mk'3' tdi.

But.

It's not going to happen. I wish it would, but it won't.

That being said, the Atlas is helping VW stay in the US and if it takes killing the Treg and bringing more Atlas based SUV's and trucks, I'm all for it.

If the onslaught of SUV's and etc push the sales numbers to (and I'm pulling this number out of the air) 600k a year consistly, they might be willing to take a loss and bring back the T-reg. Meanwhile, skip the Atlas and get a Atlas Sport or what ever they call it. It's a great looking SUV.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
It's OK if they don't release the touareg here. This Atlas Cross Sport is good looking enough to take top model SUV for a while. Not the current Atlas though. The current Atlas is indeed quite ugly.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Agree

It's OK if they don't release the touareg here. This Atlas Cross Sport is good looking enough to take top model SUV for a while. Not the current Atlas though. The current Atlas is indeed quite ugly.
Yeah, the back end treatment on the Cross Sport gives a sportier profile to it. I like it too.

41 - 60 of 369 Posts