VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 80 of 239 Posts

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I like it better than the Microbus concept for some reason. I'm also a Routan owner and do like it, but I really wish VW would bring a VW van. I'm like everyone else, figured something will come out of Chattanooga.

·
Registered
20,210 Posts
I like the first concept better, this one seems like its trying too hard to blend both retro style with the new design language and it gets lost in between. The first concept pays more homage to the original, and like the New Beetle it shouldn't have to align itself with the current look for VW.

I see more positive(constructive) feedback than negative though... I hope VW listens...(I'm seriously tired of awesome concepts receiving universal praise that die on the way the road to production..:banghead:)

·
Registered
406 Posts
my wife despises minivans of all types and i could sell her on this- it's not a minivan. and not for her to drive the kids around in (she has a 4MO wagon for that) but for ME to drive the kids around in. drop a TDI in this and i'll gladly turn in my '03 GTI :thumbup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
I love it! I own a 2010 Nissan Cube, and it seems like the same class of vehicle. I'm sure with an electric motor that it would be out of my price range, but if it had some less expensive engine options, I would trade the Cube in a heartbeat. This would be the kind of vehicle that would get me back into a Volkswagen. Its the spirit of the original Bus with the footprint of a small boxy car. Please make it soon... And keep the front and rear bench seats, they are so cool!

·
Registered
633 Posts
VWoA , please just bring us the T5, with MV and Weekender (pop-top) trim levels and diesel powertrain options. Have you seen how the resale values have held up on the non-GLS '01-03 EuroVans?

I would love to spend the money on a new TDI-equipped MV Weekender.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Next Polo

I think this concept vehicle looks great for what it is.

Everyone that wants it to be a Type 2 revival should probably sit back and wait. (patiently)

My guess is some version of this concept will appear on our shores (or built in TN) badged as a Polo sometime in 2013 or 2014.

This type of vehicle has a place in our market and I'm sure there will be plenty of buyers in the Cube, Scion, etc. category that will give it serious consideration.

I'm still holding out hope that there is a different Type 2 concept vehicle yet to be revealed to the public. :sly:

This car isn't for me, but it fits with what VW has been growing towards.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm not sure which way I go on this one. It does look cool. I probably wouldn't buy it, but only because I'm more into performance, like that of the GLI. I would love to see this thing on the freeway. Maybe someone in my family would get it... It does look like a fund new model! :thumbup:

All that said, I would love to see it have styling a little closer to it's earlier roots. I love love love this '63 -- http://www.musclepricecars.com/muscleCarImages/1963_VW_microbus.jpg

I must give VW a big thumbs up for making efforts to revitalize their classic models. They tried with the New Beetle, but it just didn't suit my taste. I'm really looking forward to the official reveal of the next Beetle, and hope it will be a little more performance oriented! Great job on bringing back the [mini]bus. :beer:

Next up, bring us a new Karmann Ghia concept! :D

·
Registered
2018 Golf GTI Autobahn | 1993 VW Corrado SLC | 2022 Porsche 718 Boxster T
6,302 Posts
It amazes me how good the original Microbus concept (2003?) still looks - so good it almost makes me want to have a bunch of kids, or a band, or some group of strangers to haul around, whatever!:laugh:

This one doesn't prodcue nearly the same reaction in me, but I like it - minus some of the more far out, conceptual touches in the interior, such as the seats, which presumably won't see the light of day anyway. So I say build it; I think it will do well globally, maybe in the US as well.

·
Registered
323 Posts
This little van looks great!! A nice(r) interior, an engine with some power, and hopefully a manual transmission, and I'm in. What a cool commuter car!! As a person who loves the concept of a van, I can see endless possibilities and uses for a vehicle such as this. Couple that with absolutely out of the park styling.....ok, VW, I'm waiting!! No excuses!! NO BS this time!! The Microbus loss was a tough pill to swallow. Let's get with it.

On another note, it's discouraging to read all the negative posts about the Routan. I can only imagine most of the negativity is from those who don't own one. I own a SEL Premium outright. And it is one beautiful, comfortable, versatile car.

I will keep it until VW builds a true VW van that performs as well as this one does with as much style and comfort, or does an about face and brings the T5 over here. In the meantime, NO complaints! How about owning one before you ridicule it.

I own one, an SEL too. It isn't that the van is horrible, that isn't the point at all. The point is that it IS NOT A VW... the soul is completely missing from the Routan. That is what they need to fix by making their own van, and the Microbus concept more than meets the need. Not only would I WANT to own the Microbus as my family van, I would own one just for me!

·
Registered
295 Posts
i say screw it take more design cues from the original bus and produce another classic. another micro bus. and name it the micro bus. the "bulli" sounds gay and looks like bully. make something like a TRUE vw minivan. not a chrysler knock off.

VW of America, You have the technology. you can rebuild it better, faster, stronger, and less ****.

*edit* Holy crap and i just looked at the microbus concept that they were talking about earlier in the thread. ive never seen that whats wrong with you guys?why wouldnt you make that? thats friggin sweet! *end edit*

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Not so sure. I've been hoping the Microbus concept would finally come out on the new US Passat platform with a full 6-8 seats. This is still a 4 seater for all intents and purposes, and doesn't stand to replace the Routan. While it is very cool, and I could see it fitting my daily driver needs, it isn't the "family van" I wish they would make. Chrysler is a stop-gap at best, and I am saying that as an owner of a Routan SEL!!

VW, I love the concept as a Golf alternative but PLEASE BUILD A REAL MINIVAN!!!! I don't want a Chrysler, or a Toyota, or a Honda. I WANT A VW!!
See, I still have an issue with some of the above statements (not trying to be offensive, so humor me). Since when does a "family van" have to have 6-8 seats?? I've got a family of four and this thing would fit the bill PERFECTLY. I don't want a large "minivan" (there is nothing "mini" about current generation vans) for my family. My dad bought a Chrysler Town & Country that he brought out here to visit us in and the thing wass HUGE - we hated it. I hated driving that thing around, it was ridiculous. Yeah, it had tons of room, but it's tons of room that we really don't need. Frankly, most American families of 3-4 do not need these large vehicles or SUV's. Sure, you've got a larger family - no argument there. But if you only have one or two kids, you don't need a Suburban, Tahoe, etc. IMO. Besides, VW builds a "real" minvan already, it's the Sharan - they just need to bring it over ;)

My main concern is a bit more leg room in the back for the kids and room to bring home the groceries, that's it. We use a Corolla right now as the family car and it's fine - just needs a bit more room in the back. We don't haul around camping gear, three soccer teams worth of stuff, or any of the other garbage that I always see pictured in large SUV/van style ads. I'm not really sure if our family is just that strange or I just have no real understanding of what the "average" family really is :) Especially now that gas is creeping up to or exceeding $4/gallon, all I want is a smallish people hauler that gets good mileage. Not a land yacht that is going to cost me $60-$80 (and counting) every few days to fill up. Hell, it cost me over $40 to fill up my Jetta this morning
:(

·
Registered
556 Posts
I love these new concepts. Just like the Jetta R Coupe, we will probably never see them.

When VW tries to be like Toyota (volume of car sales) their quality and styling suffers. I mean, the new Passat, as nice as it is, will not be offered with AWD? At least it's built in the states...

The CC doesn't even have a retractable sunroof? It only tilts. These are corners they cut now, think about if these awesome styled concepts make it state-side; no projectors, no leds, etc.

Step it up VW, people are willing to pay more than 15k for a Jetta if it is built with high quality materials!

I approve the designs! Putting these cars on a container ship is where I become skeptical.

61 - 80 of 239 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.