The production Volkswagen I.D. is aiming to reinvent how drivers get their information.

Speaking to Autocar, Volkswagen design head Klaus Bischoff shared details on how the I.D. will reinvent instrumentation systems when it heads to dealerships around 2020. According to Bischoff, the I.D. has managed to push its dash forward by at least 7.9 inches (200mm) by having the motor in the rear of the car and the climate control system up front. Volkswagen engineers will take advantage of the extra space to implemented an “augmented HUD,” that will be able to project information and pictograms to the driver. The information will appear as if it’s nearly 50 feet (15 meters) away, allowing certain elements like navigation arrows to appear on roadways.

By the time the Volkswagen I.D. arrives in dealerships, the technology will likely expand beyond just navigation, with the ability to highlight approaching hazards like pedestrian crossings and even slippery surfaces on the road. Expect the augmented head-up display to take advantage of the HERE system, which is owned by Audi, BMW and Daimler. The system uses both hyper-accurate Lidar-based 3D maps and data gathered by vehicle sensors to send live information and safety warnings to vehicles being driven on the roads.

[Source: Autocar ]

This article first appeared on autoguide.com