VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so happy with the way Volkswagen is handling me as a customer. I bought a brand new 2003 GL Passat (not one single option), on the 25th of October last fall. Literally from day one, I was having "small" problems and "big" problems at the same time. First it was wiper blades that smeared the windshield. Then it was trunk struts that would not pick up the decklid and a piece of trim on the driver's door that came loose at the bottom. About this time (we're talking a week here), I noticed the tranny was shifting roughly into second on upshifts and downshifts. I told my dealer and they blew it off. When my trunk struts came in a WEEK later, I insisted there was something wrong. They gave me a W8
for a loaner for a week while they tried to fix it. They also did an "air cept" treatment on the ventilation system because it had a VERY musty smell when I fired up the AC.. Supposedly nothing with the tranny. Well, about two weeks later it happened-clunk, ca-chunk, THUNK!! My tranny ground the second gear synchro into a pulp. Anyway, I promptly brought it in for service that evening. Needless to say the dealer started kissing my tuchis at that point. Gave me a loaded Jaguar X-type for a loaner! (I've gotta admit I REALLY fell in love with that car. I had it for FIVE WEEKS, and not so much as a rattle. Everyone that saw I was driving it had to take a closer look!) They rebuilt the tranny much to my disappointment.
Anyway, needless to say the tranny went out again after ONE WEEK.
Gave me a POS Chevy trailblazer for a loaner that time. About a week after I got my car back with the "new" rebuilt tranny VWoA sent me a letter telling me that they were going to replace my car!! So here I am waiting for them to find my replacement-a 2004.5 with Monsoon, Cold Weather Package, and ESP for only $120 in upgrade fees! I'm sure a lot of you reading this have heard of all the horror stories about VW not taking care of customers, but I can assure you that if you are cordial with them and don't YELL at them, it goes a LOOONNNNNGGGG way!

Modified by Bi-Xenon at 10:15 AM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Re: Volkswagen is replacing my 2003 GL Passat-manual tranny (Bi-Xenon)

Did the second gear synchro shoot out of the tranny or just grenade into the tranny? My girlfriend's Passat is difficult to shift into and out of second when it is cold. Hmmm.... your post worries me. When she took her car into the dealership for her 5K service she asked the head mechanic to look at that and he said that it was just a new car and probably need to be broken in.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Re: Volkswagen is replacing my 2003 GL Passat-manual tranny (PyroPopTrt)

MAN YOU are lucky there going to replace the car wow i guess vw is finally seeing the light btw what rental company gave you those cars Hertz or enterprice and good luck on your next passat. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Volkswagen is replacing my 2003 GL Passat-manual tranny (PyroPopTrt)

It just broke into a bunch of little pieces inside the tranny case. The first time it happened there were only about 2900 miles on the car. The dealer area rep for service took this matter VERY seriously. In fact, when it did it the second time he said the tranny was going to be sent back to VWAG(Germany) to be gone over, and then they were going to send the tranny back to the manufacturer(I think it was ZF) As I have lots of experience with ZF transmission components from farm machinery, I think it is honestly a fluke that this one crapped out twice. It seems that a race or bearing in the tranny may have been machined wrong or something.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Volkswagen is replacing my 2003 GL Passat-manual tranny (MLEKOC1)

It was Enterprise that gave me the Jag and the TrailBlazer. My dealership has their own location. As for the W8, the dealership themselves gave me that to drive-it was a "demo" car. When I picked it up it had about 850 miles on it and had about 1350 when I returned it. Needless to say, I found lots of reasons to "run errands!!!"

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Re: Volkswagen is replacing my 2003 GL Passat-manual tranny (StattlichPassat)

-quote: That sucks!/That rules!

Couldn't say it better myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts