VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody still have a copy of this letter that was sent out or a web link to a PDF. I can't find mine and my dealership is giving me a hard time without it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Jetta ignition coil recall for Jetta 1.8T, VR6 from 2001-up (Round_Mound_of_Sound)

They shouldnt be giving you a hard time, I think I read in Consumer Reports that as long as you have a vehical within the specs the dealers were supposed to replace without question. I had mine done last Monday, they didnt even ask about the letter.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Jetta ignition coil recall for Jetta 1.8T, VR6 from 2001-up (lickmyhead)

This brings up a question that I have. I have an early 2001 Jetta VR6 and I have yet to receive my recall letter. Should I be worried about it or just let it be?

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Jetta ignition coil recall for Jetta 1.8T, VR6 from 2001-up (frankwhite2000)

Call VWoA with your VIN and see if your car is covered.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Jetta ignition coil recall for Jetta 1.8T, VR6 from 2001-up (lickmyhead)

Do you know what part number the news coils they put in have now?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Jetta ignition coil recall for Jetta 1.8T, VR6 from 2001-up (Round_Mound_of_Sound)

I just took my car into VW and they said that they won't replace the parts unless the engine light is on and comes up in the computer read.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Jetta ignition coil recall for Jetta 1.8T, VR6 from 2001-up (icarus19)

my dealership service department told me that VWoA is sending out recall notices starting soon, proly with in the next two weeks i guess. they wouldnt change my coils when i asked them. but they should do it on thursday when i get the eibach springs installed there.

·
Registered
687 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Round_Mound_of_Sound »
Does anybody still have a copy of this letter that was sent out or a web link to a PDF. I can't find mine and my dealership is giving me a hard time without it.

You know what that is a bunch of crap. My dealership is trying to give me the same B.S. I actually just called VWOA today to see if they could fax me a copy of the letter, and they said they would have to get back to me because they have never done that before.....

·
25,220 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Round_Mound_of_Sound »

your car is NOT covered. It is a 12v VR6 with a coil pack.
Only 24v VR6's with individual coil-on plug ignitions are covered under the recall. These engines did not appear until the middle of 2002 models

·
25,220 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Jetta ignition coil recall for Jetta 1.8T, VR6 from 2001-up (frankwhite2000)

Quote, originally posted by frankwhite2000 »
This brings up a question that I have. I have an early 2001 Jetta VR6 and I have yet to receive my recall letter. Should I be worried about it or just let it be?

you are not covered either.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Jetta ignition coil recall for Jetta 1.8T, VR6 from 2001-up (rs4-380)

It is up to your dealer and VW if they will replace your coil pack under warranty. I have a 2000 Jetta GLS VR6 and had a problem with the coil pack (ignition module) 4 months after my warranty expired......the same time that VW finally acknowledged the coilpack issues. My dealer replaced my coil pack under "good will"......I did not have to pay a cent.
I also had my 2nd gear grind fixed at the same time.......VW wouldn't give me money for the rental car since my car was in the shop for 4 days.....but my dealer came throught again.....they split the cost of the rental with me.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Re: Volkswagen Jetta ignition coil recall for Jetta 1.8T, VR6 from 2001-up (EZD)

Can't wait til VWoA sends out this letter so I can take it back to the dealer that denied me and laugh in their face.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Just wanted to chime in with my experience with VWOA and this coil recall issue. I have a 2001 12v VR6 with had the coilpack fail and left me stranded away from my home area. Strike 1. I knew of this problem and had several printouts from VWOA stating that my car was covered like this one:
http://www.vw.com/VwSFB/faq_ignition_coil
I had a couple other documents that were even more specific about my car being covered. However, the ****hole dealership that I had my car towed too, pretty much ignored every single document I had presented, and said that I would have to pay for it myself. Strike 2. Well things just got worse from there, as I was not about to pay for something that failed exactly as mentioned in the document above. Alot of back and forth went on, and everyone just **** on me. Here's lies the biggest problem, my car was in the dealership for 2 weeks since the part was not available (no surprise there since so many others needed this part too). I had taken a rental car and used for the 2 weeks. In the end I had to pay for the towing, the rental car, and the part. For a grand total of $1500.
Strike 3. Needless to say I'm looking to trade my car in on a car from a REAL company like BMW perhaps. I don't think VWAG would have misbehaved like this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts