VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and this year US sales have fallen 18%. They also expect to lose money this year and in 06.
I just read this at the Wall Street Journal dated Sept 8. The article states that VW need to provide a light truck to accomodate half of the US market and build a minivan and small SUV to stay competetive. Interesting, didn't realize that VW is in that bad of shape financially.

· Registered
1,328 Posts
Re: Volkswagen loses $1.13 billion in 04....... (jefftyky)

Here in Montreal, VR6 production has come to an end
There is very few demand for these engines.
If vw were to sell cars like people are buying mk2's these days, they would be the number one competitors http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
1,103 Posts
Re: Volkswagen loses $1.13 billion in 04....... (Krazy Hare)

Quote, originally posted by Krazy Hare »
Here in Montreal, VR6 production has come to an end
There is very few demand for these engines.

in Mexico there's no more Jettas or Golfs with the 1.8T engine just 2.0

· Registered
10 Posts
keep in mind that gas prices are rising.
also keep in mind that VW makes one of the few reasonable diesel automobiles.
i think people are going to realize that diesel is the way to go.
light truck? VW could just cut half of the golf off again.

· Registered
1,721 Posts
Re: Volkswagen loses $1.13 billion in 04....... (2003Sport)

Quote, originally posted by 2003Sport »
This biased info is being posted again. Worldwide they have made a profit, They made 464 million Euro profit in the first qtr of 2005 140 million up on this time last year.
Dont know where all this doom and gloom comes from!!??
Read it yourself!
http://www.volkswagen-media-se....html

ROFL do you own volkswagen? relax man
Regardless of their worldwide profit, normally businesses consider it bad when one giant location of their business is losing money, in this case...quite a bit.

· Registered
969 Posts
Re: Volkswagen loses $1.13 billion in 04....... (navstarr)

Quote, originally posted by navstarr »
ROFL do you own volkswagen? relax man
Regardless of their worldwide profit, normally businesses consider it bad when one giant location of their business is losing money, in this case...quite a bit.

You missed the point. I am the one telling you to relax.Why post only part of the information?. Just because the figures are temporarily down in the US you guys are hitting the boards in a big panic. And of course there are always people like you to make it sound as baaad as possible.
Take your own advice..........RELAX

VW will be around long after you are gone......

· Registered
2 Posts

Although VW did make a world-wide profit, their global market share is declining. Beyond that fact, it's a matter of opinion. And, in my opinion, the reason why VW continues to turn some profit world-wide, although that is decreasing, is because they supply a line of vehicles in other countries that is more in line with what the auto-buying public wants. But I think they miss the mark here in America. And here's what I use to support that view. A large portion of American auto sales are light trucks or SUV's. VW has one in the American market, and it's more expensive than most. Beyond that, their product line is mature, for lack of a better word, they don't have an entry level car at a reasonable price point to compete with the Honda Civic, and they continue to have a perception for quality problems. Meanwhile, while all of the American automakers have Employee Pricing and the Asian manufacturers have rebates, Volkswagen has sat on the sidelines. They have a great car for the times, the TDI, but they don't have enough supply to meet demand for the one car that is hot right now, and they can't sell them new in 5 states. The sum total of it all is they're getting killed in North America.
I am a VW loyalist. I will stick with them and I can name many good points about their vehicles. I think my Jetta is a great ride and fun to drive. I love the safety features and great crash test ratings. The feel of the car is great. But I'm afraid I (and many of the rest of us) are a niche group who stick with VW through thick and thin. The broader population does not have this brand loyalty, and VW is losing their business. One of the first questions people ask me is "how many problems have you had with your Jetta?" Or "did your brakes go at 25,000 miles?" For some that have owned VW's, they ask "How many Mass Air Flow Sensors have your replaced?" "How many times did your window fall off the track?"
VW needs to freshen up the lineup, and fast. The Lupo would a big seller right now if they would only bring it over. They need a small SUV in the Rav-4/CR-V class. They need to either fix the quality problems, or stand behind their products better when they do break. That's my two cents.

· Registered
42 Posts
Re: (SuperRobot46k)

Quote, originally posted by SuperRobot46k »
keep in mind that gas prices are rising.
also keep in mind that VW makes one of the few reasonable diesel automobiles.
i think people are going to realize that diesel is the way to go.
light truck? VW could just cut half of the golf off again.

The diesels aren't going to bail VW out of anything unless they start importing them in number MUCH higher than they are right now. Of the four VW dealers within 50 miles of my house, not one has a TDI on the lot.
It does no good to be able to brag to a prospective customer about the 40+ mpg of the TDI when there are none available.

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Volkswagen loses $1.13 billion in 04....... (tonyspadaro)

A company losing $1.13 billion of dollars in North America is not something any company would happy about. Even if the other big 3's automaker's losses are bigger. Also, market anaylsts expecting that VW will continue to lose money in NA in the next couple of years is not good either.
There are many reasons why VW isn't doing well here in the states, could be the overall economy, consumer preference, better products from competitors, etc. This is a reality that many global companies are facing today, "fierce competition". I am sure Volkswagen is coming up or has a plan already in place to turn to company back to profitabilty in the long run. They will definitely do this by reducing the costs to make their vehicles and offering vehicle that consumers want here in North America.

· Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote, originally posted by 2003Sport »
Maybe you havent read that VW has a 72% sales increase in the first 10 days of September due to increased small car and diesel sales!!!
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/...infkg

Modified by 2003Sport at 3:06 PM 9-13-2005
Thanks for the link. Good start for VW this September. The Jetta Diesel is definitely a car that consumers would want here in US especially with escalating oil prices. Let's hope VW continues to meet the demand.

· Registered
258 Posts
Re: Volkswagen loses $1.13 billion in 04....... (jefftyky)

Imagine if VW were to bring more TDI vehicles into the US and didn't have states such as California limiting the number of diesel vehicles to be sold? Sales would definately be much better.

Modified by java959 at 3:22 PM 9-14-2005

· Registered
393 Posts
I had to put a deposit on my TDI that wont be here till Oct to secure it. I'm still looking at paying MSRP when it shows up due to the dealerships knowing if I don't buy it the next Joe coming in the door will gladly buy it. I wish there were more TDI's out there. Not only would VW make a killing in the market now, but maybe we could get a buck off of the MSRP

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.