VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volkswagen MkV "Premium Six" Headunit and MFA Displays

It seems that every few weeks, someone asks about features of the "premium six" headunit. Most questions relate to the screen display capabilities over the various functions. This thread will hopefully clear up what each function is capable of.
<ALL PHOTOS CLICK TO ENLARGE!>
Radio- non-RDS Capable Stations

The headunit display should look like the first photo above, and the MFA (if equipped) should look like the second photo above. For non-RDS stations, there is no way to alter any of the display capabilities- what you see is what you get.

Radio- RDS Capable Stations

The headunit display may or may not look like the two photos above (depending on your individual settings). The photos above show the radio function that allows RDS stations to display any information that they choose to display. This information will not scroll, but rather will display and then go away for the next bit of information to display. The photos show this sequence. They also show why I hardly ever listen to terrestrial radio these days.

The MFA (if equipped) will show the same information as it will for a non-RDS station.

Satellite Radio (if equipped)

The first photo shows what the headunit display should look like for Satellite Radio if the "detail" option is chosen in the radio settings menu. If the "basic" option is chosen, I believe the author and title will not display. Satellite radio author and title information will not scroll! The second photo shows the MFA (if equipped). This will not change whether you are using "basic" or "detail" display settings.

Audio CD- non-MP3

The first photo shows what the headunit display will look like. There is no way to get author and title information to display! The second photo shows the MFA (if equipped).

Audio CD- MP3

The first two photos show the headunit display in sequence when scrolling text is enabled. The author and title will scroll as if it were one "block" of text as opposed to separate "blocks" of text. It will scroll to the end of the song title, stop and pause, and then revert back to the initial position (ie. the information scrolls from right to left, but the author information will not "wrap around" and scroll back onto the screen from the right). You must activate "scrolling text" to have this function! The third photo shows the MFA (if equipped). This will not change based on the scrolling text settings.
Hope this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to post them. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by BRM10984 at 2:00 PM 6-25-2006

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re: Volkswagen MkV "Premium Six" Headunit and MFA Displays (BRM10984)

opinion I know......is it just me or is this HU....um....cheaply made?
it just does NOT seem to be consistant with the rest of the over-all design
of the car...........
thoughts anyone...thanks

·
Registered
261 Posts

Ok so here is my question regarding the scrolling text. How do you activate it? I looked through my manual and found nothing. Well I found some neat buttons they have in the manual that aren't in the car, like mix and stuff like that.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Volkswagen MkV "Premium Six" Headunit and MFA Displays (rollzroyce)

In any radio mode, hold down the knob on the right side of the headunit until a hidden menu appears. Then turn the knob to scroll through the menu selections. When you get to the scrolling text menu, press the button in the set of six "preset" buttons that is under the option to turn scrolling text "on." You can then hold the knob down again to exit the menu.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Re: Volkswagen MkV "Premium Six" Headunit and MFA Displays (papaTDI)

Quote, originally posted by papaTDI »
opinion I know......is it just me or is this HU....um....cheaply made?
it just does NOT seem to be consistant with the rest of the over-all design
of the car...........
thoughts anyone...thanks

I think it is very OEM. It's nothing fancy, but very functional. It's very simply laid out, everything accessible, fits with the rest of the interior, gets the job done.
Could it be nicer? Yes.
Could it sound better? Yes.
Does it work well? Yes.
Will it be the first thing to go once my XM free trial is up? Yep!

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re: Volkswagen MkV "Premium Six" Headunit and MFA Displays (PDong)

Quote, originally posted by PDong »
Will it be the first thing to go once my XM free trial is up? Yep!

whatcha gonna get 2 replace?

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Volkswagen MkV "Premium Six" Headunit and MFA Displays (beaglebot)

Quote, originally posted by beaglebot »
Is there anyway to get MP3 CDs to display something other than Title 01, Folder 02?

In the MFA? Nope.

·
Registered
13,883 Posts
Good work! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,604 Posts

It's too bad that you can't see the information on the MFA just by clicking the stalk buttons up and down. You have to go into the Main Menu of the MFA, then drill down from there. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Volkswagen MkV "Premium Six" Headunit and MFA Displays (Pooz)

Quote, originally posted by Pooz »
It's too bad that you can't see the information on the MFA just by clicking the stalk buttons up and down. You have to go into the Main Menu of the MFA, then drill down from there. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

Main menu? I'm not sure I understand. At least on my car, all I have to do is use the top left button on the right side of the wheel to change displays- trip computer, settings, radio info.
Perhaps it's different on the 2005.5 cars?

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Volkswagen MkV "Premium Six" Headunit and MFA Displays (EL_3grab)

Quote, originally posted by EL_3grab »
Is that supposed to be better than the RCD500 in the GTI ??

I haven't heard it referred to as such, but as long as you are in the US or CAN market with a US market or CAN market car with the headunit pictured above (allowing for the absence of SAT radio), then it should function as shown.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »

Main menu? I'm not sure I understand. At least on my car, all I have to do is use the top left button on the right side of the wheel to change displays- trip computer, settings, radio info.
Perhaps it's different on the 2005.5 cars?

I have a package 1, 2005.5. The main menu I mean, where you change items like Coming Home / Leaving Lights, Compass, things like that. It's not part of the scroll-through on the windsheild wiper stalk buttons.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.