VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting this as a separate thread instead of blowing up the "What did you do...." thread. --- Little long winded here. :)

Little back story on me, and how this all came about.

My name is Taylor and I've worked for a major dealership in the little west Texas town of Abilene named Lawrence Hall for about 4 years. We own Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac as our main store. Lincoln/Mazda new and used and a separate used car "Supercenter." We purchased the VW dealer in August of 2012.

I started after a trade school I went to for collision repair. They hired me as a buffer :rolleyes: but that didn't bother me. After 3 months I was put into the body shop as a body man's helper. 9 months and a huge hail storm later, I decided I wanted to go to college. That lasted about a month. I have the mental capacity but not the financial fallback from parents and I already had student loans. So back to work I went.

The position I was in had been filled but the company offered me a spot as a lot boy basically at the Chevy store. Parking, organizing and occasionally washing cars along with doing anything our owner Larry Hall asked of me. Another 9ish months of this position.

I was dusting a Cadillac on the showroom when I was approached by a guy who eventually asked me if I'd be interested in selling cars for the VW store we were going to be purchasing soon. Resounding yes of course.

Only sold VW for 3 months until they moved me to our GM store. Been here selling the last 2 years.

Enough of me. On to the cars.

My first new car was a 2013 GLI, I did an employee lease on it to get the lower payment and it was great. Springs, wheels, APR Stage II+ all the goodies. Digging way back in the photobucket. Purchased 1-7-13 traded 2-6-14 because me and my girlfriend then and wife now moved 40 miles away from work.

Then I did a traditional purchase for my 14 Passat. You've seen this blasted around hehe. Best stance overall and Top 25 at DubSplash here in TX.

The Passat was owned 8 months and 24,800 miles then sold to the dealership as is, no trade in September. I was given this as a wedding gift from my Uncle who is more like a father. He's owned it since 1996 when I was only 5 years old. He did all the work to make it built 383 Stroker. 1985 C4 Corvette with lots of character and sentimental value. I now drive a 2004 Impala with no car payment and a license plate that reads BEEDER.

On to the purpose of this thread.

The manager of our VW store loved how much attention the VEEDUB (my license plate) brought when it was for sale. So, just a few weeks ago he approached me with an opportunity. "I want to put together a car like yours that we can put on the showroom and sell new. Just pick out the car and wheels and any details as if you were doing to your next new car."

That was it. I had no budget, within reason, no requirements other than, it better look good when I was done.

So I went car shopping! I landed on the 2015 TDI SE/roof in the absolutely gorgeous Fortana Red with Cornsilk beige. I would buy this car. The color is hard to explain without seeing it in person... Somehow stirs emotion.

We quickly ordered the full OEM ground effect package and H&R sport springs. So far only the side skirts have arrived.

Next it was time to shop for some wheels. Luckily, just in the nick of time I found that our good buddy here snobrdrdan was selling his minty fresh put together wheels/tires. Yes, I could have purchased any set new for full price but, why not help everyone out? He is expecting another little one (congrats again by the way) and this will bring down the end cost for the buyer.

Very painless transaction for all involved and the wheels showed up today.

The car I chose was sold retail to someone this weekend so now we are on a hold until the next one comes in. I think we have 2 more just alike inbound.

Stay tuned! Please feel free to ask any questions and comment!

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Great read! Like I mentioned in the "What did you do to...." thread, hat off to your GM for seeing the value of doing the mods for resale as a new vehicle. How quickly did your black Passat sell? So your doing spring, wheels, ground effects, plans for anything else? Any restriction or limitation for VGA should they find out that this is been done as a new sale through a VW dealership? Not tried to stir anything up, just curious. I'm with you I think it a great idea!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think I'm going to use this emblem and color match the backing. Keep the chrome VW. This is an extra so no harm if it looks terrible.

Great read! Like I mentioned in the "What did you do to...." thread, hat off to your GM for seeing the value of doing the mods for resale as a new vehicle. How quickly did your black Passat sell? So your doing spring, wheels, ground effects, plans for anything else? Any restriction or limitation for VGA should they find out that this is been done as a new sale through a VW dealership? Not tried to stir anything up, just curious. I'm with you I think it a great idea!
Just little details like interior LED's, nice tint, maybe some reverse LED lights. As for restrictions, that's tough to say. Here at Chevrolet, we have conversion trucks on the lot for sale. The big suspension components and so on are warrantied through the upfit company. Consider us the upfitter. So even if a warranty concern that is denied through VW we will help on our part. We decided not to do aftermarket headlights not only for cost purposes but because VW is pretty picky on electronics. We will give the end purchaser information with the lights should they want that finishing touch.

Wow. I think you have everyones dream job of building a car on someone elses budget haha.
You pretty much nailed it. Although it makes me sad that it's not for me. :( I get attached to my hobbies for a short period of time.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, so question for you guys. If anyone is following or interested in some input.

Since our red with cornsilk sold... We have the potential to change it to the "new" 2 tone interior. I really like this look more so than all black or all beige.

Thoughts? I need to know tomorrow for the MBO we have. I believe we can pull one from the order bank.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree the two tone looks sharp! With the red exterior I think it would be very cool. :thumbup:
X2. I am a big fan of the two tone. I saw it in a 2015 sport and it was bad ass. Would make it look upscale (jealous)
Thanks for the feedback! I know when I had mine, and I saw the two tone I was in love. It creates a different "atmosphere" especially with the black carpet. :laugh: I've told him that's what I'd like. He says, "Aight"

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I just priced an OEM flat bottom steering wheel but I think that will push the car outside of reasonable selling price. Unless anyone is selling a mint one for cheap!

No more Passat?? Thing was sweet lookin! Oh well, no car payments must be a nice treat.

Cool that you get to do some building on the dealer's dime, even though you don't get to keep them.
Yea it's nice for now! But, you know me, I just HAVE to have a hobby so I got back into the R/C world. :laugh:

Brushless E-Revo with lots of upgrades hah!

Check out my YouTube channel for all kinds of random stuff. Car cruises here locally, races in Mexico ;) R/C stuff such as this. All for fun. I am no good at putting together quality videos but it's fun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm starting this as a separate thread instead of blowing up the "What did you do...." thread. --- Little long winded here. :)

Little back story on me, and how this all came about.

My name is Taylor and I've worked for a major dealership in the little west Texas town of Abilene named Lawrence Hall for about 4 years. We own Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac as our main store. Lincoln/Mazda new and used and a separate used car "Supercenter." We purchased the VW dealer in August of 2012.

I started after a trade school I went to for collision repair. They hired me as a buffer :rolleyes: but that didn't bother me. After 3 months I was put into the body shop as a body man's helper. 9 months and a huge hail storm later, I decided I wanted to go to college. That lasted about a month. I have the mental capacity but not the financial fallback from parents and I already had student loans. So back to work I went.

The position I was in had been filled but the company offered me a spot as a lot boy basically at the Chevy store. Parking, organizing and occasionally washing cars along with doing anything our owner Larry Hall asked of me. Another 9ish months of this position.

I was dusting a Cadillac on the showroom when I was approached by a guy who eventually asked me if I'd be interested in selling cars for the VW store we were going to be purchasing soon. Resounding yes of course.

Only sold VW for 3 months until they moved me to our GM store. Been here selling the last 2 years.

Enough of me. On to the cars.

My first new car was a 2013 GLI, I did an employee lease on it to get the lower payment and it was great. Springs, wheels, APR Stage II+ all the goodies. Digging way back in the photobucket. Purchased 1-7-13 traded 2-6-14 because me and my girlfriend then and wife now moved 40 miles away from work.

Then I did a traditional purchase for my 14 Passat. You've seen this blasted around hehe. Best stance overall and Top 25 at DubSplash here in TX.

The Passat was owned 8 months and 24,800 miles then sold to the dealership as is, no trade in September. I was given this as a wedding gift from my Uncle who is more like a father. He's owned it since 1996 when I was only 5 years old. He did all the work to make it built 383 Stroker. 1985 C4 Corvette with lots of character and sentimental value. I now drive a 2004 Impala with no car payment and a license plate that reads BEEDER.

On to the purpose of this thread.

The manager of our VW store loved how much attention the VEEDUB (my license plate) brought when it was for sale. So, just a few weeks ago he approached me with an opportunity. "I want to put together a car like yours that we can put on the showroom and sell new. Just pick out the car and wheels and any details as if you were doing to your next new car."

That was it. I had no budget, within reason, no requirements other than, it better look good when I was done.

So I went car shopping! I landed on the 2015 TDI SE/roof in the absolutely gorgeous Fortana Red with Cornsilk beige. I would buy this car. The color is hard to explain without seeing it in person... Somehow stirs emotion.

We quickly ordered the full OEM ground effect package and H&R sport springs. So far only the side skirts have arrived.

Next it was time to shop for some wheels. Luckily, just in the nick of time I found that our good buddy here snobrdrdan was selling his minty fresh put together wheels/tires. Yes, I could have purchased any set new for full price but, why not help everyone out? He is expecting another little one (congrats again by the way) and this will bring down the end cost for the buyer.

Very painless transaction for all involved and the wheels showed up today.

The car I chose was sold retail to someone this weekend so now we are on a hold until the next one comes in. I think we have 2 more just alike inbound.

Stay tuned! Please feel free to ask any questions and comment!

Thanks for reading.
Quick question I kno u probably answered this a million times but what suspension set up Did u have On ur personal b7 was it just H&R sports springs?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes sir that was it. Got a little fancy with the spacers but otherwise that was it. In the future, in a dedicated thread like this, there's no real need to reply with quote to a huge long post like that. Keeps the repetitive content down later on.

Just say @TeeDubb or something. Just an OCD thing for me, don't mean to sound rude. :thumbup::):thumbup:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sad sad news that really makes me upset. "Someone" somehow scratched one of the wheels. They were out of the way, not even on a car yet.

I don't understand but oh well, I guess things happen. We'll be sending it out for repair and if for whatever reason it doesn't match, we'll have them all powdercoated or painted to match.

Good news is that the DRL and reverse lights came in. Thanks again DeAutoKey.com

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welp another day another small update. We earned 25 Passat TDI's during this week's MBO. We accepted TWENTY-FIVE! Of which there was no Fortana Red with the two-tone interior. :( I was really hoping for it but we will be getting both a beige and a black trimmed car to pick from. Probably go with the beige. I'm just ready to start putting this together.

Springs arrived today... Hardware is in one piece but the box has been through the ringer.

I'll update again shortly with something up my sleeve. I haven't talked about it yet. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got the ok to order a set of Ed's Option 3 headlights! Already paid for them.

The car we've selected is on a truck en route to the dealership. The wheel was sent out for refinishing on Monday too. Getting closer!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts