VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the durability to the factory VW wheel???? I'm thinking about purchasing used ones with 20k miles on them.
I was told that the factory 17 inch wheels were built to be able to drive in the snow- no problem.
Also. . . THIS IS THE MOST CRUCIAL DILEMMA I'M IN. My 03' golf came with 195/65/15s........Now according to the calculations of several wheel dealers. . . if I were to get after-market wheels. . . I would get 205/40/17s to match the diameter. Would my friend's 225/40/17s be ok to put on my car? Will it mess anything up????????????

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Re: VOLKSWAGEN STOCKS RIMS~~~~~ (QVB20L8V)

Actually, changing from 195/65/15 to 205/40/17 will give a difference of 3.9 mph. This means if you take the original tire size and use 60 mph as a baseline, changing to the 205/40/17 will be equivelant to 63.9 mph on your speedo. A closer match is 245/40/17 which gives a difference of .64 mph at 60 mph. The 225/40/17 gives a difference of 2.23 mph at 60 mph so you would be better off with those than the 205/40/17, but ideally you would want the 245/40/17. Make any sense?.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Re: VOLKSWAGEN STOCKS RIMS~~~~~ (Mark4VR6)

My Jetta came with the 17" Long Beach rims...
The tires are stock 245-45-17 I believe.
I live in the Metro Boston area and let me tell you about these rims in the snow - THEY SUCK!
The problem is that too much snow builds up in the rim. I came out of work to about a foot of snow on the ground and the snow was still coming down, shoveled the car out drove off just fine. Went to dinner at my gf's house, and on the way home when I got on the highway - the balance was off, it felt like the tire was bouncing down the road underneath me when i got up to about 45mph.
The problem: the snow built up inside and the heat melts it down, when I parked it cooled back down and the wet snow settled at the bottom of the rim and froze, throwing off my balance.
Also: I have been in the situation where so much snow has built up in the rim that it disabled my ABS brakes, you should have seen my display there were so many lights on it looked like a christmas tree. The ABS light was blinking, the brake light was on, the ESP light was on... I called the dealership and they said too much snow built up and I would have to let it melt out overnight then it would be fine - which was all true.
My fix: I bought steel rims with snow tires for the winter - no problems.
IM me if you have any questions on my experiences with my stock 17s

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Re: VOLKSWAGEN STOCKS RIMS~~~~~ (JettaWagonguy)

OT: Could it be possibly to put up a thread with pics and specs of all vw oem rims?? or is this just

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Re: VOLKSWAGEN STOCKS RIMS~~~~~ (Mark4VR6)

Check out this website. It will help you determine the difference in tire diameter based on different wheel sizes.
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Your 195/65/15 should be a near perfect match with the 225/45/17. Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts