VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My friend has a Golf VR6 and has done some mods to it, he believes he can take on my dads 1987 buick Gran National with his Golf. Could someone please tell me if he has a chance at it or is he gonna just waste gas and tires?
Thank You

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: Volkswagon Golf VR6 vs 1987 Buick Gran national (TwinTurbGTi)

unless your friend has a really good turbo or a supercharger he has no chance....
and what tire wasting are you talking about?
i dont think he can spin the tires anyway...

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Re: Volkswagon Golf VR6 vs 1987 Buick Gran national (CHEVYRULES)

quote:[HR][/HR]unless your friend has a really good turbo or a supercharger he has no chance....
and what tire wasting are you talking about?
i dont think he can spin the tires anyway...[HR][/HR]​
you don't think a vr6 can spin its tires?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Re: Volkswagon Golf VR6 vs 1987 Buick Gran national (DohRado)

Haha. He doesn't think a VR6 can spin the tires!
Well it can...
I'm not sure who would win. If the cars are stock then I would say its pretty even, and thats IF I remember the GN specs correctly, which I prolly dont.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

I personally do not think your friend's Golf Vr6 can take a 1987 GN in a 1/4 mile.
Does he have cam's and headwork or even a limited slip differential. My 1996 GTi Vr6 ran high 13's with with cam's and headwork and a LSD. I have a co-worker with a 87 GN and it run's high 7's in the 1/8th mile. 1986-87 GN's ran high 13's to low 14's stock.
Joel

·
Registered
2,885 Posts

Stock a GN in good shape would run high 13s or at least deep in the 14s.
For ~1500 well spent dollars and a few gallons of race gas, high 11s. Some even dip into the mid 11s for under 2 grand.
J.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Re: Volkswagon Golf VR6 vs 1987 Buick Gran national (Y2kSI)

quote:[HR][/HR]It's pretty bad if you can't spell Volkswagen, especially if you own two of them. BTW, what's a 2001 GTi 4 Motion?[HR][/HR]​
Its a joke...like the twin turbo VR6 he has too

Post some pics, bud. Then ask your questions.

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Re: Volkswagon Golf VR6 vs 1987 Buick Gran national (2lowA4)

No chance if the Grand Nat is running properly. Go talk with the VR guys who have turbo's or superchargers.... they don't hook up great off the line and the GN does.... beautifully. That's pretty much all it does but who's complaining when its a 15 year old car that can still whoop 98% of what's on the road today.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts

18 yrs old with a 4 motion gti (which they don't make here, if at all) and a twin turbo vr6?

Got Pics?

[Modified by NJTDI, 10:59 PM 4-11-2002]

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Re: Volkswagon Golf VR6 vs 1987 Buick Gran national (nokona)

quote:[HR][/HR]Yeah, the VR6 will beat the GN.
As long as the GN is in Park...[HR][/HR]​
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
POST SOME PICS

·
Registered
7,434 Posts
Re: Volkswagon Golf VR6 vs 1987 Buick Gran national (TRYNTRUEA2)

quote:[HR][/HR]Mayb if the vr6 ,is put into an MK2 GOLF along with a supercharger it could take the GN,not a porky MK4[HR][/HR]​

I'd put money down that 9 times out of 10 a GN in perfect tune will take down a MK2 Golf with a supercharger. GN's plain and simple where built for the drag strip.
****both cars must run street tires and not DOT approved street drags****

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Re: Volkswagon Golf VR6 vs 1987 Buick Gran national (Lexi)

quote:[HR][/HR]
I'd put money down that 9 times out of 10 a GN in perfect tune will take down a MK2 Golf with a supercharger. GN's plain and simple where built for the drag strip.

****both cars must run street tires and not DOT approved street drags****[HR][/HR]​
Errr... While I'm well aware of the GN's legendary status (a lot of it well deserved), I'm always leary of grand sweeping statements like these

Why would the Grand National be so particularily unbeatable? (How would it be so much more built for the drag strip than a MK2 with an engine swap and tuning in technical terms?)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.