VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been working for Volvo Cars for over six years now. After five years, I achieved my Master rating and as such, qualified for the Volvo VISTA (Volvo International Service Training Award) competition. So, back in February, & travelled to Vancouver for the semi-finals, & won one of ~8 spots in the finals for Canadian techs. I then went to Volvo North America's HQ in Rockleigh NJ to compete in the finals. Surprisingly, I won one of the TWO technician spots & won a seven day, all expenses paid trip to Volvo's home of Gothenburg Sweden. I just got back yesterday, & I figured there's plenty of car related stuff on my trip to post up a thread.

VISTA involved approx 200 service staff from all around the world.

Day 1 (Saturday June 23/Sunday 24)

Left Calgary at 3:30pm, transferred in Amsterdam, & arrived in Gothenburg at around noon on Sunday. This is my first time travelling this far & the jet lag nearly killed me.

Eastern Greenland

Sunset

& sunrise again, about five minutes after it set

Glimpse of Gothenburg through the clouds

V60 D5 AWD Ocean Race Edition

Hotel at night

VISTA desk in the Clarion Post Hotel

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Day 2

Woke up at 2am.:facepalm: So I walked around the city to have a gander.

WTF

We bussed it to Volvo HQ in Torslanda for some presentations, including the reveal of the V40, and showed us the design process. We also learned about the V60 Plug-In Hybrid.

After lunch, we headed to the Volvo Museum. I'll try to stick to some of the more interesting stuff, but I have hundreds of photos from there. I'll try to label most of them, but if I don't & you want to know what it is, just ask.

King Gustaf's personal car

Armoured 960

P1900

P1800ES

Amazon

T6 Roadster Concept

740 BTCC car (iirc)

YYC Concept

245 :thumbup:

262 Bertone

850 T5R

480?

Odd old concepts, etc.

newer concepts

Volvo Trucks area

After the tour, they took us on a ferry to Bjorko for dinner

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Day 3

We toured the Volvo factory, & another exhibit at the info centre.

remnants of a 740

Polestar put on a presentation for us as well. We were supposed to see the new S60 Polestar car, but apparently some journalist roasted the clutch & it's in being repaired. :mad:

Crash Test Centre

Saw this in the parking lot - V60 D5 AWD R-Design Polestar w/ 6-speed manual. Do want. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Factory Delivery Centre

Blue Train Tour - we only got to see the sheet metal stamping & chassis assembly areas. All other areas were off-limits. I expect that they're prepping for the MY2014 facelifts & XC90. No photos inside of course.

Now for the best part of the trip! We went to the Demo centre & got to drive nearly every available option of vehicle or drivetrain.

C30 Electric

V40 (D2,D3,T4)

We also got to see the V60 Plug-in hybrid

That night, Castrol put on a dinner & slotcar race competition. My team won & we each got an ipod nano!

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Day 4

We drove ~3hrs north into Dalsland county for outdoor activities & a boat ride through the Dasland Canals. The canals have a series of locks, & even an aquaduct in Haverud.

Limo

They made us canoe around the lake to find our beer - it was sunk into the lake and marked with buoys. :laugh:

Dinner on the lake

Had trouble sleeping all week. This, plus the jet lag may be why. It's 11:30pm.

Not much to see day 5 or 6, just more food, activities, etc.

Awards dinner

Gotta love the Japanese

Day 7

Headed home

I wish. It was ~9hrs of holding it in. :(

Ice flow near Baffin Island

Glaciers on Baffin Island

It was an incredible week to say the least, & I look forward to competing again in 2014. :):thumbup:

·
Banned
6,736 Posts
that's awesome man!

I'm super jealous, and sad that I work for the Mazda side of our dealership.

·
Registered
23,418 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Atlas V6 R-Line; 2019 330ix M-Sport
32,990 Posts
One gets used to it when you live this far north. I hate winters more. Just a 7-8 hours of daylight in the midst of winter. I live around the same latitude as Gothenburg.

It's a trade-off I guess... Light until well after 2200 during the summer is awesome. :thumbup:

As long as we keep the windows closed we don't have to hear the damn birds in the morning... :laugh:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Congrats, looks like a fun trip. And it was free which was probably the best part. :thumbup:

·
Registered
313 Posts
One gets used to it when you live this far north. I hate winters more. Just a 7-8 hours of daylight in the midst of winter. I live around the same latitude as Gothenburg.
Just visited my grandmothers house above Arctic Circle. A couple of weeks sun 24h/day. Kids had a bit difficulty -I wonder why IMO they should be used to that as e.g. here in Helsinki sun sets today 22:46...

I love distinct four seasons and major lightning changes during year - activity in summer and reason to stay in during wintertime (drinking red wine by fireplace...)

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,194 Posts
Congrats on winning that trip--it looks like you had an awesome time! Were you able to drive anything fast at the demo center? How long was a lap of the course? It looks like you took out one of the electric cars. What was driving one of those like?

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats on winning that trip--it looks like you had an awesome time! Were you able to drive anything fast at the demo center? How long was a lap of the course? It looks like you took out one of the electric cars. What was driving one of those like?
The V40 T4 was pretty swift, & they also had an S60 T6 AWD, but I passed on driving it since we have those here, & I wanted to try out all the Diesels, & the other variants, like the V60, & some of the cars were "drivE" with start/stop technology. I have to say though, other than maybe the D2 & D3, the D4 & D5 are swift powertrains and I wouldn't have as hard of a time compromising full out performance of a T6 for the good power & economy of the D5. I was very impressed!!

The C30 electric is really odd at first. It's silent, so you have to pay attention to the gauges to tell if your engaged, & the electric park brake is off. Then you stomp the "gas" pedal and it takes off really quickly & smoothly, but begins to wane once you're over ~60kmh. The handling is excellent though, with the battery pack located centrally along the car, the weight is very balanced & flat.

:beer:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts