VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BRIEFING:
I was in an accident on the 25th of Sept and had some front end damage, and thought it was a good chance to improve my Jetta's look. So i did some research and took peoples advice and got the VOTEX front bumper.
The part came in and then the bodyshop put in on and it didnt fit right; that was the first bumer. The fit was very odd...Both sides of the top of the bumper were too long/wide for the fenders. SO then the dealership ordered ANOTHER bumper and to see if it was just the previous bumper that was weird. The bumper came in today and I went in to the bodyshop and checked it out.
AGAIN.... the same problem. VOTEX bumper again... fit funny just like the previous one, we compared it to the stock bumper and the stock ones fit fine.
AM i just having bad luck?
OR DO VOTEX's BUMPERS SUCK...

It came from the VW catalog which tells me that it should fit the car with no adjustment, BUT obviously it didnt.
German quality control... how can they explain this problem... I looked at VOTEX body kit very highly...but after my experience... i must say that they are not worth the hassele.
If it is obvious that a part doesnt correctly fit the vehicle, VW should not be endorsing the product. I must say that i am VERY dissapointed.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Re: VOTEX bumper from the VW magazine... (PUJetta2001)

Did you suffer some front damage? and that's why it won't fit?
I hear from everybody that votex fits great, since it is OEM quality.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Re: VOTEX bumper from the VW magazine... (jetta-jameson)

Yeah, Votex quality is reputedly good, though I haven't seen 'em in person. Unless your front end is tweaked more than you think (I hope not!), I'm stumped.... Bump for a local, though!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts

Alot of people have the 'tex bumper without problems. I think it's one of the best looking body kits you can get for the Jetta, IMO. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Have the shop check the front of the car to be sure nothing else's is damaged before discounting the bumpers.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
if it was somerhing with the car, the stock bumpers wouldnt go back on smoothly as he stated.

·
Registered
11,911 Posts
Re: (Bugs)

a friend of mine suffers from the same problem. -bumper doesn't fit at the seam near the passenger side headlight. it was his second one as well.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts
Re: (screwball)

I sure hope mine doesn't end up like that. It arrived at the body shop yesterday, and I should have the car back by the end of the week hopefully. I'll be sure to check it out and see if mine has the same problem.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Well the stock bumper that you had on the car during the accident may be tweaked in the same manner as the mounting points on the car??? Was it your bumper (stock) they put back on??? Or a brand new stock bumper??

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: (Kahnjr321)

OK... The bodyshop has TWO VOTEX bumpers and ONE STOCK OEM bumpers...Three bumpers lined up and i put every single one on the car.
First VOTEX bumper came a week ago and we mounted it and it did not fit correct as i explained above. Then the second one was ordered, second one did not fit as well as the first one. BUT then when we put BRAND NEW STOCK OEM bumper on my car, magically it fit with no problem. There were no gaps inbetween the fender and the bumper... nothing wrong AT ALL. Only problem was with the VOTEX bumper when it was mounted.
I HIGHLY doubt that there was any tweeks or anything in the mounting points of the bumpers. If there was, then would't my NEW STOCK OEM bumper fit funny as well...

I would highly advise all you if you are getting the bumper... goto the bodyshop when they mount and check it out... maybe its my bad luck... but who knows...
Two out of Two brand new VOTEX bumper didnt fit right... BUT a stock OEM bumper fit no problem... is it magic...?

Modified by PUJetta2001 at 12:29 AM 10-22-2003

·
Registered
923 Posts
Re: (PUJetta2001)

post some pics. I put the Votex bumper on my sister's Jetta and it fit perfectly. Not sure where your problem is so pics would help

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: (sgolf)

ALOHA,
I will try my best to take some pics but I can not gurantee anything...
It is kinda hard to get around these days without a car.
If you email me or post your questions on the forum i will try to answer my best.
OR if you are really really desperate send me a ticket to the island
and ill show you what the problem was with your sisters car and my best attepmt diagram and etc. We can go cruisin' and surf and take some frustration out...

·
Registered
923 Posts

aloha to you too. My sister's car doesn't have a problem...as I said earlier it fit perfect. was having trouble installing until I realized the foam had to go. I was asking for pics to see your problem and maybe I could help.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: (sgolf)

So is it that the white foam that goes on the frame of the car has to be removed... and the bumper fits perfectly...

if that is the case..... i am gonna have to goto the bodyshop ass crack in the morning and see if they put the stock ones back on or not and see if i can still work out the VOTEX...
IF it works i would feel like a jackass...
IF removing the foam thing doesnt work either... than i am just gonna blow up on someone...

Modified by PUJetta2001 at 6:16 AM 10-22-2003

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

Are you sure the body shop is installing the VOTEX correctly?
The only way I could think of that happening is the body shop not sliding the top of the bumper into the clips correctly. That would make the bumper look like it's too wide for the car. Although they would have to do that with the stock one as well, and you say that fit fine. Check it out and see what happens.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: (SeaBiskit)

There are two clips on each side which mounts to the bumper... and yes they did do it corectly...
I am taking the consideration of removing the white foam thingy which mounts to the bumper frame and see what happens...
Lets hope that the dealership didnt put the stock ones on and painted them... and etc...

·
Registered
923 Posts

Quote, originally posted by PUJetta2001 »
There are two clips on each side which mounts to the bumper... and yes they did do it corectly...
I am taking the consideration of removing the white foam thingy which mounts to the bumper frame and see what happens...
Lets hope that the dealership didnt put the stock ones on and painted them... and etc...

Tell the body shop to remove the foam and it will fit. remember the Votex is a Euro spec bumper and the Jetta (Bora) in Europe doesn't have that foam thing. hope that solves your problem.

·
Banned
318 Posts
Re: (Boostin20v)

I have the votex front and it fits perfect. I mean, its lined up to the tee.
I didnt install it, so i cant comment on the foam, but the bumper SHOULD line up perfect. Im talking about 100 percent fit.
Good luck.

·
Registered
501 Posts

I've had mine on for several months now and it doesn't fit as clean as the stock one either. This is a common problem and the only answer I've read on it is to trim the foam behind the bumper, but I haven't done it yet. Pics are in my signature and you can notice the gap slightly. Its happens where the bumper meets the side fenders and right below the headlights. I changed to ecodes and it still has a gap. Its just something I learned to deal with as I haven't gotten to mess with the foam yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts