VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was right and my girlfriend did get me digi-cam for my birthday. Here are the pics as requested:

It's a little tough to tell in the bottom picture, but the ring below the knob is also brushed aluminum and it matches perfectly with the interior.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Re: Votex R Shift Knob (VW TANK)

Man! that is nice! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It wasn't hard to install at all actually, I used the DIY faq in the IV forum for reference. Ordered from hillsideimports.com for $155 and it comes as one unit. The base, shift boot, knob, and ring were all put together when I opened the package. I was kind of hoping this wasn't the case though when I ordered it because I wanted to use my stock boot but whateva, I'll deal. But I think that's why the price is over one bill. I didn't like the stock knob, hence the reasoning for getting this. I need something I can firmly grasp with my hand and this feels perfect when I'm driving. Next thing on my list is to shave the shaft down a wee bit http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by the pik at 2:07 AM 10-21-2003

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
Re: Votex R Shift Knob (Zoku)

looks great. I will be doing this same shift nob....

But you said " shave down the shaft a wee-bit"....lol.....

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Re: Votex R Shift Knob (drm916)

nice knob...
what kind of camera did she get you? (i wish i had a gf to get me gifts
)

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Re: Votex R Shift Knob (the pik)

Looks very good.
Two things to be careful of when you're shortening the shift stalk...
1. be careful to wrap a rag around the shift mechanism so you don't contaminate the grease down there.
2) Don't cut off too much or you'll have trouble getting into 6th and Reverse. I took just under 2" off mine. It looks like this:

Thanks again for the pics. They look great!
Peter

·
Registered
623 Posts
Re: Votex R Shift Knob (PedroGringo)

Yea, but there is nothing like a cop walking up to your car pulled over on the highway and saying "Is that a golf ball shift knob?"

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
another option for a shift knob is the Audi S4 knob my buddy gave me his after he installed a new one on his S4 and it is sooooo much better to shift with than the stupid golf ball...I just could never find a comfortable shifting style with the ball just personel preference...don't know how much they are to buy but have to be way less than $150 but that shift knob looks awesome too, just giving another alternative

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Re: Votex R Shift Knob (jorlando)

I like the historic accuracy of the golfball shift knob, but it doesn't really match the rest of the interior (in my eye) and I don't like the way it feels in my hand. That's why I switched.
Peter

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Votex R Shift Knob (JakeN20)

Quote, originally posted by JakeN20 »
nice knob...
what kind of camera did she get you? (i wish i had a gf to get me gifts
)

She got me the Canon A300, not the one I specifically wanted but she got the manufacturer right so I really can't complain. It's a pretty sweet cam, 3 mins of video and res up to 2200x1200 with 3.2 megapixels. My girlfriend rocks heh, but hey I spoiled her on her birthday so it goes around.
Quote, originally posted by PedroGringo »
Looks very good.
Two things to be careful of when you're shortening the shift stalk...
1. be careful to wrap a rag around the shift mechanism so you don't contaminate the grease down there.
2) Don't cut off too much or you'll have trouble getting into 6th and Reverse. I took just under 2" off mine.
Thanks again for the pics. They look great!
Peter

Thanx for the tips. I only plan on taking maybe an inch off, inch and half at the most 'cause I just want a nice subtle look.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

Quote, originally posted by the pik »

Thanx for the tips. I only plan on taking maybe an inch off, inch and half at the most 'cause I just want a nice subtle look.

It'll look good 1" shorter.
Thanks for the photos. Now that we've got another person in the tribe with a digital camera, we'll see even more pics of mods. pik pics even???

Peace!
Peter

·
Registered
7,619 Posts

Quote, originally posted by the pik »

She got me the Canon A300, not the one I specifically wanted but she got the manufacturer right so I really can't complain. It's a pretty sweet cam, 3 mins of video and res up to 2200x1200 with 3.2 megapixels. My girlfriend rocks heh, but hey I spoiled her on her birthday so it goes around.
that's cool, i was looking at that cam, the a70 and i finally settled on the s230... i really wanted the s400, but just outta my range....

·
Registered
7,619 Posts
Re: (shawny0123)

Quote, originally posted by shawny0123 »
another option for a shift knob is the Audi S4 knob my buddy gave me his after he installed a new one on his S4 and it is sooooo much better to shift with than the stupid golf ball...I just could never find a comfortable shifting style with the ball just personel preference...don't know how much they are to buy but have to be way less than $150 but that shift knob looks awesome too, just giving another alternative

do you have a pic of the s4 knob?

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Votex R Shift Knob (PedroGringo)

Quote, originally posted by PedroGringo »

It'll look good 1" shorter.
Thanks for the photos. Now that we've got another person in the tribe with a digital camera, we'll see even more pics of mods. pik pics even???

Peace!
Peter

Yeah mos def, I actually have a few other mods that I've done already when I first got the car. Nothing too major though but I'll definitely post the pics up soon.
Jake you got the S230? OY that's the one I wanted! I trade ya

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I will see what I can do about a pic...I'll have to take one...it required a few minor modifications to the shift knob and my method of securing it could be improved uppon but you wouldn't know looking at it or even shifting with it

·
Registered
273 Posts

you can switch the boot it is really easy to do if you want to keep your original boot , I need to take pics so you can see how easy will be doing the boot swap

1 - 20 of 21 Posts