VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my new tranny put in complete with 3.65 R&P, 0.75 5th, autotech flywheel, and sachs oem clutch. my other mods are UR pulleys, DSR 256s, GIAC chip, and open element K&N. My problem is that at part throttle the car surges fairly bad. It also has a wierd noise at startup that may or may not be related. when I first start it up it makes the same noise as when you kick an aluminum can across pavement (odd description I know) Anyway, I'm just wondering what the problem might be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.TIA
Jesse

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Re: VR bucking at part throttle? (vento98)

Quote, originally posted by vento98 »
. when I first start it up it makes the same noise as when you kick an aluminum can across pavement (odd description I know)

Timing chains, perhaps. Where are they coming from in the motor? Driver side?
Is you GIAC matched to the 256 camshafts? Any other details, problems, etc?
- Erik

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: VR bucking at part throttle? (bluefox280)

I don't think it's my timing chains as the car only has 64k on it. that and it started when the tranny was put in. I'm not sure where the sound is coming from yet. The chip is matched to the cams, but I've heard bad things about the GIAC/autotech flywheel/UR pulley combo. I will put my TT chip in and see if it fixes the bucking.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Also wondering if the fact that my alternator is a little weak might add to the bucking problem. The reason I ask is because I've seen dyno charts of cars with insufficient spark and the line is wobbly.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts

Alternator problem might cause it but it seems like it would get worse with load. The start up noise might be your starter itself. If you have the tools the pull it off, take a look and see if there are any missing teeth or significant shiny spot.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: VR bucking at part throttle? (Bora Lab)

Yeah, it goes back to the shop tomorrow to get the rattle fixed. But my mechanic just says that the bucking is because everything is lightened. I have read countless posts on the parts I've installed and never heard anything about it, So I'm kinda doubting that that is the case.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

K, the rattle is the starter hanging on the ring gear for half a second too long. But now I've changed the chip from GIAC to TT and the CEL is on

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

Ok... bucking is either an 02 sensor, MAF sensor, or a vaccum leak... I gaurantee it is one of these three

·
Registered
53 Posts
Re: VR bucking at part throttle? (BubonicCorrado)

sound right about the sensors, mainly the MAF, may want to check you idle vacuum and see if you have a leak, have your mechanic check the resistance in your Throttle position sensor, i put in a thottle body out of a 96 in my 97, and my card would accelerate hard and die when i let off the gas. put the 97 back in and no problems

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: VR bucking at part throttle? (semperjim)

Thanks for the help guys, tho I'm hoping I have a different solution. I was talking to a buddy of mine and he said that when the tranny mount in his V6 Legend broke he was having the same vibration at only specific RPMs. Has anyone experienced this before? Either way, I will have my mechanic check those things out.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Had all of the above possibilities checked out except the tranny mount. They have been ruled out, but the problem is getting worse. It clunks when shifting now. Also sometimes it has a hard time starting.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

im having the exact same problem. did you ever change your tranny mount?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: VR bucking at part throttle? (RedC)

Yeah, I did. I put in a VF mount and it helped the problem, but I also had the coil pack changed and that seemed to help it as well. I also had the fuel system cleaned, which is a good thing to do anyway. The car is fine now. I just need some plug wires and I'll be golden.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

im getting my tranny mount changed out on friday. my question is, how does a moving tranny affect the way a VR6 starts? are there any wires that may be out of place?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

oh yeah, did your actually start when it made the noise? mine is having trouble starting... it cranks but doesn't catch. i have to put the car in 1st gear and push the key up while turning. otherwise it makes that whiny noise.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Yes, it did start. The noise was just from the ring gear and starter gear not being perfectly synched, so the starter gear would hang up for an extra second. That has gone away over the past year. It sounds like you are having a different problem. Sorry I can't help.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts

yeah, it was my ignition switch once again. i somehow thought my tranny mount was related after i read your post. which front and rear mounts do you have?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts