VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my names mike
hi mike
im from south africa and just wana thank all you guys for the tips and tweaks vortex forum users have contributed http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
im doing my 1st VR swap into my golf but im worried that once the old 8v is out,.....im worried about how im going to get the VR motor into my car.....its out of the donor car already
if any one can send me a link to a good build thread on a VR swap id be really greatfull

1 motor and tranny mount specs would be awesome
2 any other engine bay mods needed to house the motor comfortably would also be appreciated
pics to follow soon
thanks guys http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,068 Posts
The best advice i can give is a trick i learned awhile back, its two fold it helps make the swap much easier and gives alittle bit of power in return.
First while the motor is out this is the best time. take a MAP-Gas torch and heat the crank pulley(between the outer dish weight and the pulley) there is a rubber ring(heat that).
Then use a puller(like a old steering wheel puller) to remove the big crank weight. The reason for this is to make room on the passanger frame rail so you do not have to bash the frame with a sledge hammer!
This will lighten the crank pulley, with out you having to buy one and also give you the room you will need. (for back round i have done 5 this way all work great and have no problems)
Also get your self a passat vr front sub frame/a mkIII jetta/gti K-Frame. Remove the whole front clip(rad support, lights,grill,bumper) and slide the motor in that way. With these suggestions and the crank pulley weight off the motor will fit great.

Good Luck with the swap and enjoy!

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: VR swap help? (HappyGTS)

waahoo!!!
you guys are great thanx for the helpfull info
i think ill go with mkIII swap all the way, cluster and rad support.
treat you guys with some hi-res pics to follow fo sho
can any1 tell me.....motor and tranny mounts? do any mods need to be done there? the vr is still at the factory....didnt get a chance to check them out and compare.....wont get back to the factory till next week monday

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Re: VR swap help? (dubbinmk2)

Quote, originally posted by dubbinmk2 »
dont do the mk3 dash......unless you want to open your door to roll down the window at liek 80 mph

Really, Not Tryin To Start Anything Here. I have A Full MKIII swap, vr,dash gas tank and i can roll my windows down fine, a small window crank mod and noproblems(alittle work is no reason to not do it).
I have done alot of these swaps and they all are fine and none of them have a window roll down issue and the dash looks great in the mkII.. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.