VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im noticing a trend that anyone who is dumb like me and wants to run there glorious sound maker and boat anchor of an engine (i dont want any feedback on going to a 4cylinder) for road racing or time attack track challenges, oiling issues like starvation or pcv clogs and spun rod bearings are occuring.

I recently attended my first track day at chuckwalla with a untouched bottom end with mystery miles but no oil leaks and good oil but after 70 hard laps over the course of the day, my day ended with the terrible sound of a spun rod bearing and clack clack clack of the rod crying for help.

Well i want to know how easy it is to get a pan with baffles installed and possibly a windage tray. Questions are, is there any on market? Has any one used one with any problems? Has anyone made their own? What were the results? Anyone know much about this topic, please chime in. I want to find a solution to keep my experience to just this once.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Have you tried searching the web on this topic? I understand that figuring the right question is half the battle. How much are you looking to spend? How much time are you willing to spend. A quick search will yield many companies out there with products to meet your needs. Or... create your own. Look at your pan and find that balance of keeping your oil from sloshing away from your pick-up tube and allowing the oil to return back to the bottom of the pan. This can be a simple fix and may require a working knowledge of hydraulics and fluid dynamics. Ill give you some pointers. Cut the baffles wide enough to create enough resistance to slow the movment of oil due to Newtons 1st law of motion. Look at the bottom of your engine and note where your oil return pasages are and try not to impede that flow to the point that less oil is returning to your pick-up tube than it's drawing up, and causing your pump to cavitate. Make a sketch and get with a welder/fabricator and have him cut out the right metal and weld em on. good luck :beer:

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts