VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im about to pull the oil pan to see if i have a spun rod, I found metal shavings in my oil when i went to change the oil.
There were no signs of a spun rod. There was a clicking noise but it went away when i replaced the bushings on the intake manifold shift rod.

there was another rattle, coming form the top back of the motor, my mechanic said engine chain guides but didnt really take it apart to check...

could the metal shavings be from the guides/rails wearing out?

Just looking for some input before i take of the pan. couldnt really find a lot of input on it.....

thanks​

·
33,221 Posts
Im about to pull the oil pan to see if i have a spun rod, I found metal shavings in my oil when i went to change the oil.
There were no signs of a spun rod. There was a clicking noise but it went away when i replaced the bushings on the intake manifold shift rod.

there was another rattle, coming form the top back of the motor, my mechanic said engine chain guides but didnt really take it apart to check...

Just looking for some input before i take of the pan. couldnt really find a lot of input on it.....

thanks​
yes...if a rail has broken off or worn through and the retaining pins are wearing.

pulling the pan is cheap and easy. also, check the oil pick up to make sure there isn't any debris inside.

·
Registered
180 Posts

thanks​
A spun rod bearing will make a hell of a noise and the engine will constantly make a knocking sound. Somethings falling apart of there's signs of metal shavings but if you're not hearing a constant knock that gets louder as engine speed increases, I would guess your bottom end is fine. Without hearing the noise first hand, it's impossible to confirm. The timing chain guides are known to wear early...generally between 80-110k with a few that I've heard that reached close to 150k. It's not a bad job..it really isn't. Get a full kit and do it right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.