VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was traveling down the road cruising @ 40mph in 4th. I went to hit the gas to accelerate some and the car was off.. I didn't even know because the tach was still reading like 2.5k rpms and i didn't hear anything...
So... I pulled over and tried cranking it and this is what i get...
Also... the car was in gear while i was driving it, and it was in gear while it shut off... so... the car wasn't bucking or trying to compression start... i am guessing the chains broke.
I had a local VW shop do my timing like 5 days ago and i just got it running the other day... I called the owner up and told him the symptoms and he said, "looks like i owe you an engine..."
VIDEO!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSVedBKh50E

·
Registered
538 Posts
Brutal man. Make sure you take him up on that new engine

·
Banned
4,379 Posts
Re: (jesgag)

at least the dude fessed up to his mistake. sucks your car is down again though.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by jesgag »
Brutal man. Make sure you take him up on that new engine

--- I haven't had the car running in over 8 months, i took the engine to him to do the timing. He put a new upper guide and tensioner bolt in (older style - he would only warranty the work if he put the older style stuff in) so i went for it. Was only 120 for the parts... and 75 for the timing to be done... So 195 (no tax cause my dads a dealer
) and it was running fine until today. I had a misfire in cyl 4 but that was cause of the falling apart spark plug wire...
this def. sound like broken chains though right? Also... why wouldn't my engine have made any type of sounds? Clunking, banging, grinding etc etc... especially if i was driving and the piston and valves had to have hit one another.

Modified by iMAHLON at 11:38 AM 4-19-2010

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't know man. I would expect an awfully loud noise if it was the chain, and contact as well within the engine.
Either way, take him up on the new engine

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by jesgag »
I don't know man. I would expect an awfully loud noise if it was the chain, and contact as well within the engine.
Either way, take him up on the new engine

--- I have a mk3 oil pan on, so my flywheel is exposed on the bottom (i never got the housing cover)... So i had my buddy crank it while i was under it to see if the starter was spinning the flywheel.. It was surely spinning...
So If the flywheel is spinning... that means the crank is spinning... and if the crank is spinning... that means there should be some type of compression going on... and it's not.
When i bought this car it had broken chains and it sounded exactly like this... I bought this engine and had the chains done and all with brand new oem parts... So yeah... i am like 80% sure its broken chains, i just dont see why i didnt hear anything when it happened.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Skinner »
did you compression test it?

--- Didn't do anything except for what i stated. I just cranked it and such, made sure the starter was cranking the engine... Called the shop up, and then called AAA.
They took it to the shop, and i have to call back later once they diagnose it.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by ratdub »
damn, last week i had a low mile later obd2 mk3 vr shortblock (but i sold it)...i do have a brand new rebuilt head (if you need it)...lmk, i'm over the bridge in hamilton township...

--- I am selling the car after i get it back... Going back to honda's.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by ratdub »
are you shelling out any money for the new engine/topend? if so, how much do you want for it as is right now?

--- The place who just did the engine work said "i guess i owe you a new engine"... So... I am only assuming he is taking blame and the engine work was still under warranty... So it is going to be @ their cost.
Right now, i really dunno how much it is worth with a bad engine... PM me a offer. It has tons of little mods, just nothing posted up.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by iMAHLON »

--- I am selling the car after i get it back... Going back to honda's.

I hope old Hondas, because new ones are pure garbage

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Re: (Mr.Ed)

Quote, originally posted by Mr.Ed »
VR6's are non-interference heads. The vavles will never hit the pistons. On 1.8t's though..

VR6 is an interference engine.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Mr.Ed »

VR6's are non-interference heads. The vavles will never hit the pistons. On 1.8t's though..

Quote, originally posted by wav3form »

VR6 is an interference engine.

--- Def. an interference engine...
Quote, originally posted by Skinner »

I hope old Hondas, because new ones are pure garbage

Either going DC2 Integra, or EK Hatch Civic... B Series... Boosted w/ GT3576... Something along those lines.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts