VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All right everybody I need to know something. My VR6 started to missfire real bad just a little bit ago so I stopped by Autozone to use their tester. I thought it was my MAF again...according to them it's the coil-pack, wire, or plug. Anyone else have something simular happen? I guess that the VR6s coil packs are different than the 1.8s so they are not part of the suspect group. anyone?
TIA.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i have a 2002 GLI with bad coilpacks

my car has been at the dealership for the last seven days...
coilpack failure...
it seems that the part is b.o.
so i just might be driving my rented sebring for a few more days...
jr

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: i have a 2002 GLI with bad coilpacks (jetblack)

All of these experiences I'm having is really disappointing. Sorry to hear about your problems.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: VR6 Coil packs..... (mr_e1974)

I'm having the same problems. I just called my VW dealership and they told me that my coil pack isn't the problem one (I have a 99.5 GTI GLX). I'm frustrated because my car is hesitating all over the place and then it's like somebody switches the power on and the car leaps ahead. I've had the occasional backfire with the car too. I'm going into the dealership on Saturday to get my cat replaced (the MAF killed it) so I'll let you know what they say about the coil pack.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Re: VR6 Coil packs..... (nianmuzik)

I had my coils go too 2 months ago.....they charged me 50% of the cost ($260) but on VW.com it says they are 100% covered....just found this out a few days ago, next week the dealer will be feeling my wrath
. Just go to the dealer (Howard Cooper is good from in Ann Arbor or if you want to make the trek, go to William's in East Lansing, from what I hear they are the best in the state and even told my friend they'd fix his coils before they went out) and they should have them in stock and they'll hook ya up, and maybe just to be sure go to http://www.vw.com/VwSFB/faq_ignition_coil and print it off incase they give you crap. good luck http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by boraman717, 9:48 AM 3-13-2003]

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Re: VR6 Coil packs..... (mrcvr6)

Yes. I also called my dealer while back about this issue: http://dealer.vw.com/vwpress/fullStoryA.html?release_id=5824 and he told me they only cover the 1.8t and not the VR6. So I told him that on http://www.vw.com and according to VWoA they are covering all models, etc...
He pretty much yelled in the phone and said "Well I guess they know more than me don't they"
haha, well I guess so dip****... Man some people.
So I called VWoA and spoke with a VERY nice lady about this issues and she stated I would be covered when this problem started to happen so please call her when this starts to go out and they will speak with the dealership.
So all in all if you have issues CALL VWoA.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Re: VR6 Coil packs..... (boraman717)

VR6's are included in the warranty as well as the 1.8t, but only if it is a 2001+. If you have a 2000 and have no extended warranty, you are S.O.L.
Unless of course your dealer is really cool, and we all know the odds of that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Re: VR6 Coil packs..... (NeoJetta)

Nope, no extended warranty. Those things are more trouble then their worth sometimes!
What I thought was odd is that I explained the problem to my dealership and they offered to tow the car if it was undrivable. Keep in mind I work 30+ miles from where this dealership is located and they are well aware of it. Either they are being really nice, which they tend to be, or they know something that I don't. Either way, thank you very much for a definitive answer on whether my 99.5 VR6 is covered. I've been reading a lot of the postings on here only to leave more confused than when I started out!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.