VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 2 questions
1 I have a 14 Touareg vr6 and cyl 6 has a cracked piston is this common I do vw audi and never seen a cracked piston. Here are 2 pics of it

2nd question can I use a 14 passat or cc engine with modifications in place of my touareg engine with small power loss. And are they compatible meaning what do I have to do to make them work, I have messed with alot of 2.0t and there all same castings and only have to change a few things to make it work.

Attachments

·
Registered
16,884 Posts
The parts can be swapped. The cylinder head coolant port is the main item that could trip you up. I’m not certain if the Passat has the bolt hold for the flange. I know it has the port with a freeze plug.

Other differences that you will need to swap:
-Fuel rails
-intake manifolds
-lower Timing cover
-oil pan
-pickup tube
-oil filter flange
-maybe the waterpump not sure about B7 Passat having a vacuum port

For the most part nothing crazy and it all can be done if you want to.

The 3.6 rarely has mechanical issues like your bad piston. I have a Touareg engine and drive it pretty hard.

Did you take in water and hydro lock?

Here is a thread I did explaining the differences between some of the earlier and later engines. It may help give you confidence that they are all fairly similar.

The Atlas is similar too but has another coolant port on the head but beyond that nobody has done a serious comparison and reported out to my knowledge.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you that's exactly what I was looking for if there is a freeze plug probability will be able to pop it out and drill and tap the holes I have a very high skill level I just have never messed with the vr6 but if I it will work or with alitle engineering I can make it work I will definitely do it as the engine is a 1/3 the cost

·
Registered
16,884 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any experts out there I started swaping the engines, the cc engine does not have a vacuum port on the water pump does that affect anything it just stops flow would assume for faster warm up
Has a freeze plug on the front of the head going to pull that out today and drill and tap the hole for the bolt, looks like all mounting holes are there the thing I'm most interested about is the water pump and the effects it will have
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not sure if it's California emissions it a 14 rline. When it's running there is a code for it range performance I stuck it in a coolant hose for now so it will read some temp.
So I have found out that toureag and fwd are different blocks and heads the water pumps are different sizes, the coolant head temp plug non existing on the fwd and the head plug on front of engine same size just needs to be popped out and a hole tapped other than a few bolt on parts they are the same!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts