VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
electrical/ engine management problems - Need Advise

Does anyone have engine computer problems on their VR6 equiped VWs? My mechanic told me to sell the car, as the car has just over 40K and I will only have more problems in the future. Does nayone have any insights they could pass on? I really don't want to sell my GTI and Jetta.
My 2000 GTI VR6 has just over 40K on the odometer and the car is starting to give me problems. At 30K the emissions ligt went on and the dealer said not to worry about it. Now all the service lights went on and there is a very noticable drop in power. I suspect its the engine computer module and took it to a new garage since my dealer (Royal Motors in SF) sucks. I took it to a Euro independent garage and the main mechanic told me to sell the car. He said he sees many late model VWs with tons of problems ranging from broken window brackets to blown head gaskets to broken sunroof mechanisms to engine control problems. Has anyone been experiencing the same problems? Please let me know

[Modified by sfrobert, 12:35 PM 11-26-2001]

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Re: electrical/ engine management problems - Need Advise (sfrobert)

Hi Robert,
Sounds like you may have a bad MAF (Mass-Air-Flow meter). If your mechanic has the scan tool and knows to properly use it he will be able to look at the MAF signal while driving and see if it is responding properly.
Good Luck
Jeff

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Re: electrical/ engine management problems - Need Advise (sfrobert)

You don't need a new car, you need a new mechanic!!!
Seriously, my 92 slc has over 105k with very few problems. Keep up the preventive maint and find a reputable shop that can actually fix cars or learn to do it yourself. I paid 7500 for my car 40,000 miles ago and prolly put less than 2000 in repairs over that time. It is my daily driver and I plan to keep it indefinately. Beats 25,000 for a new car. I could replace the motor and still be ahead of the game.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.