VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was drving my 94 vr6 corrado doing about 60 and then it started to blow white and grey smoke out of the exhaust and then out the hood, when i pulled over it looked like the oil was running down the exhuast manifold. idk what i did but right before it happened it started to make a slight banging sound like against the block some where idk... anyone every have this happen or know what could have been wrong.. should i be looking for a new engine or rebuild or what,, thanks for the help...

· Registered
1,278 Posts
Re: vr6 engine dead? (heizervr6)

I have not heard of a head gasket failing like that, but knowing the common Raddo problems, this might be the case. The banging noise you heard worries me, but the smoke and oil are indicative of a blown HG. You're not gonna know for sure until you start tearing it down. How many miles are on the car? Will it still run if you try to start it?
In the mean time, I'll buy you a
!!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: vr6 engine dead? (lotar_6)

it still runs if i turn it over and the amount of smoke that pours out depends on how high the engine revs. the car has 167000 miles on it another thing i forgot to mention was that on the way home it barely had enough power to make it move. felt like it was running a cylinder down or something, thanks for the info so far..

· Registered
1,278 Posts
Re: vr6 engine dead? (2low98taco)

When my HG blew, it went very slowly. I started smelling the sweet coolant smell in the car after driving it and noticed a little bit of white smoke every once in a while. But I did notice power loss as well. @ that many miles, it's a good bet the HG blew. You should also replace the timing chain, guide rails, and tensioner if you take the head off.
There are tons of threads about this topic... a couple people here are having similar issues right now! Do some searching on the archives and you can find out procedures to do it yourself or estimates on costs to have it done. I did mine with some help and it wasn't really that bad of a project! Just make sure to have the head checked for truness while it's off (just one of many tips out there)! GL!!

· Registered
2,295 Posts
Re: vr6 engine dead? (2low98taco)

definatly head gasket....... ive got a 92 corrado im considering parting......depends on whether i get a tker for the engine.....has 7k miles on fresh longblock....interested

· Registered
24,970 Posts
Re: vr6 engine dead? (kindbudz91G60)

lol thats mean but it makes you wonder why only a few vw's will carry the vr engine line any more. passat/r32 and thats bout it. 4 or 5 cylinders for the rest of the production line.

· Registered
27,959 Posts
Re: vr6 engine dead? (mrkrad)

the vr is in the base cayenne as well. It's not quite as problematic as it was 13 years ago. G60 operating temsp are insanely low. My car heat sokas like mad during anything over 80°.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.