VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody out there have some useful mods other than rims, pedals, and guages. That sh*t is cute but it don't win on race day. I'm looking swap knowledge with somebody get the most out of my VR. I am tired of the endless babble about how much you can squeeze a 4 banger hand grenade. Anyone with actual useful sh*t please reply. For the record I want my car to look as stock and as goofy as possible, when people lose to me ... I laugh twice as hard.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Re: VR6 GTI MODS........ (supergez)

Turbo it and put a big ass dent in the passenger door.

[Modified by DGMVW, 8:55 PM 4-4-2002]

·
Registered
213 Posts
Re: VR6 GTI MODS........ (supergez)

Cold Air Intake is Great, it really helps the mid range. Exhaust is good but not necessary, you should get the TDI midpipe. A chip is okay but buy an intake first. Tires make a big difference too.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: VR6 GTI MODS........ (OVeRide)

I hear you man, to hell with peddles and tint!!!! its all about grass roots performance with out selling a kidney. I did the TDI midpipe, highly rec. cheap like $50 about 20 minutes to put it in, a little less midrange torque but revs up faster in the high RPMs, which I found was a big problem for this car. To hell with an intake, find an intake or aftermarkte/performance filter that consistantly yields good dyno's, not gonna happen, if you don't give a rats ass about your car take the air filter right out! though I wouldn't rec. doing that for too long, just enough to help on race day. Other then that I think the weak point is the clutch tends to slip inconsistantly, somedays its fine others its a loosing battle. And yea a good set of tires is a must, a sc or turbo would be nice but its a lot of $$$. Happy motoring.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Re: VR6 GTI MODS........ (OVeRide)

IMHO -- buy and intake and gamble with your MAF. A chip will give you decent gains that are more reliable. Coilover suspension, a good set of lightweight wheels such as SSR Comps with good tires. Get a swaybar set if you really like carving corners. Short shifter, exhaust . . . cams if you want to remain NA. Otherwise turbo or SC, depending on what type of power curve you're looking for, not to mention upgradeability. You can easily upgrade turbo systems, but SC's are a bit sketchy. Oh, and if you go FI, invest in a Quaife or Peloquin diff. With all that, you'll probably be at least $10k in the hole when everything's done . . . assuming everything works well the first time around.

·
Registered
7,686 Posts
Re: VR6 GTI MODS........ (NeoJetta)

GIAC chip + AEM CAI + Miltek + UR pulleys + DSR 256 cams + turbo =

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.