VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here is the deal.
90 vr6 jetta car was running perfect had some tranny issues had to pull the engine and tranny. Everything is back together and it won't run now. Fuel pump is not turning on with key. Changed the relay already. The big red wire with the yellow connector has no power even with key on. When I give that power the pumps turn on but car won't run

So I pulled the ecu I do have main power and grnd. But when I test 10/54 and 33/54 I get 5.3 volts instead od 12.8. This docent make sense. I am thinking bad ecu but how does that just go bad? Changed ecu relay. Any help would be great
Thanks Joe

·
Registered
10,028 Posts
The big red wire with the yellow connector has no power even with key on.
Thats main power from the battery - it should always have 12V regardless of the key position. Are you sure its connected to the battery? Is the battery earth strap properly connected to the body?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have power at I think 55 and the throttle turns on with key on I always thought that was indication of power. I checked all grounds on engine and by battery
Thanks Joe
you usually cant here to fuel pump.. at least with myn i cant here myn maybe your ignition switch is bad? try either pop starting it or jumping the starter by putting a screw driver on terminal 50 on the starter and the power on the starter

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I should have been more clear. The car cranks fine just not getting fuel of spark. I traced that red and bmack wire with the yellow connector into the fuel rail coil pack and ecu. I am guessing that the ecu sends out the signal to all of those items? When I checked the ecu there was low ground signal. So I am leaning towards a bad ecu any other ideas
Thanks joe

·
Registered
152 Posts
dont rule out the switch just because it will turn the engine over. I had the same issue with my swap after taking the engine out and putting it back in. after a nightmare of tracing wires i found that the switch was bad. it would turn the engine over but while cranking it would not maintain power to the engine electronics. the best way to test this is to pull the plug off the back of the switch and jumper the pins to simulate switched position, then bump the starter circuit.

hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.