VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

VR6 RADIATOR AND OIL PAN

667 views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  twelvevolt 
#1 ·
im doin a 96 vr swap into my 95 jetta. The engine needs a radiator & fans and the oil pan. can i use the ones from my 2.slow or do i have to get new ones?

#4 ·
Re: VR6 RADIATOR AND OIL PAN (1sik95jetta)

I don't know about the radiator if it would fit with the VR6 but for sure it's smaller and doesn't have the dual fans of the VR6. I definitely wouldn't use it, the VR6 needs all the cooling it can get.
The oil pans are completely different between the 2.0 and the VR6. If it needs a new oil pan be careful none of the oil pickup has been damaged.

Modified by Fast2.0L at 2:50 PM 2-12-2004

#6 ·
Re: VR6 RADIATOR AND OIL PAN (Fast2.0L)

Quote, originally posted by Fast2.0L »
I don't know about the radiator if it would fit with the VR6 but for sure it's smaller and doesn't have the dual fans of the VR6. I definitely wouldn't use it, the VR6 needs all the cooling it can get.

Sorry dude, but you don't know what you're talking about. The 2.0 radiator and VR6 radiator are the same damn thing, except the inlet/outlet are on opposite sides. And my 2.0 radiator has dual fans. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

#9 ·

When you take the pan off the oil pump is right there. The long tube off the pump that would normally sit in the bottom of the pan is the pickup. If the motor didn't have a pan on it and it was sitting on the ground the pickup could be bent or something, so it may need an new pump as well. Just something to think about when you are looking at the motor. If it sat on a stand just make sure there is no debris in it...

#11 ·
Re: VR6 RADIATOR AND OIL PAN (punkassjim)

Quote, originally posted by punkassjim »

Sorry dude, but you don't know what you're talking about. The 2.0 radiator and VR6 radiator are the same damn thing, except the inlet/outlet are on opposite sides. And my 2.0 radiator has dual fans. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Damn and I thought they were different. Oh well it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong. Damnit I need a body kit to bolt on to make myself feel better about my failures in life. Maybe a dog to kick too. I was positive my old 2.0 had a single fan.

#12 ·
Re: VR6 RADIATOR AND OIL PAN (Jason@eurotuner)

no the motor is still in the gti and the oil pan is on it, it just has a hole. the car was in an accident. it rear ended someone. as fas as i can tell the only thing damaged was the radiator& fans. im goin to try and start it today and if i dont hear anything wrong then im goin to buy it.

#13 ·

Pick the motor up then. You are getting the whole car right? It would make the motor swap a hell of a lot easier to do with the whole car. Espescially since you need to go to a cable shifter from a linkage one. You will find you need lots of little knick knack parts off the VR to make everything work right.

#17 ·
Re: VR6 RADIATOR AND OIL PAN (punkassjim)

Quote, originally posted by punkassjim »

okay good... i was reading the previous posts and thinking to myself... i have dual fans, i know i do, i'm not imagining it...
is it possible to change the fans without removing the radiator? something's wrong with motorized fan(bearing maybe?)..wobbling all over the place, sounds awful scraping its surround

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.