VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 3 wires coming into the temp sensor mounted on the radiator side just underneath the battery. Looking down from the front of the car the left is red, middle is red/white and the right is red too. Which one of the controls the first speed of the rad fan? I want to apply 12V to it and see it the fan comes on but am afraid I'll fry the fan motor if I mess up.

·
Registered
11,535 Posts
Re: VR6 radiator fan switch wires (mecca666)

There already is 12 volts going to that switch. Just take off the harness and use a piece of wire to jumper the connections. I forget which one does what, but you won't hurt anything jumpering the connections.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: VR6 radiator fan switch wires (vw mofo)

Hmmm.
I was under the impression that you need to give it +12V for the radiator fan to come on.
I want to do a switch inside to be able to turn the fan on at will. Planned to do a relay routing 12V from the battery and have a switch control it. Wouldn't that work?

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: VR6 radiator fan switch wires (mecca666)

sure good idea. I might do that too. That way, when (whatever) goes, you can fire it up from the cabin, or during staging.

Remember the amp's the fan uses (at XX speed), and run proper FUSED wire to prevent a fire.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Re: VR6 radiator fan switch wires (mrkrad)

yes i would like to know this lalso
which wire color is the low speed output on the fan switch
the red is power in and which colr wire is power out when the appropriate temp is reached for the low speed fan

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: VR6 radiator fan switch wires (kavinmacd)

OK I have it all figured out. There are tho ways to do this.
1. The not so good way
Have a relay installed and connect the wires to the fan motor (red/white) and battery. Don't forget a fuse in case something goes wrong. You'll be giving the motor +12 and it will run on low speed.
2. The good way
If you look from the top standing in front of the car, there are 3 wires coming into tthe radiator fan switch. One (right) should be red and the other two red/white. The middle one is low speed, left one is high speed. Now what you have to do is tap into both (middle and right) wires, and install a switch in the cabin that will close the circuit after it's pressed. Voila - fan is on

1 - 6 of 6 Posts