VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I have to recommend to all VR6 owners to get the intake manifold changeover valve (intake shifter rod) replaced. Wow, my car feels like brand new again. I no longer have a loss of power after 3000 RPM and a sudden surge at 4000. My car no longer sounds like it's about to fall apart. It's great!
My 2000 VR6 has 54k miles. The dealer claims that the part is not covered under the powertrain warranty. Have you had this part covered after the bumper to bumper warranty period? I'm planning a call to VW customer care and would like to hear other people's experience.
Thanks.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Re: VR6 shifter rod/intake manifold changeover valve - Who's had it replaced un ... (Yellow Rabbit)

i know what you mean, believe me! i had mine replaced at 41,000 miles the first time. at 48,000 it started to make the noise again and i consulted with the service manager at reeve's here in tampa. he said if it get's to where it is doing it consistently bring it in. it got progressively worse as i knew it would and i just took it in with roughly 51,000 miles on it and had it replaced. it was covered again because it had been within 12 months and 12,000 miles since the last service of the same problem. i am a little concerned now that it will happen again since the first fix lasted a short 7,000 miles. i've heard that if the problem continues the intake manifold may have to be replaced but i'll have to wait and see. anyway, i didn't mean to ramble on but i like to communicate with others who have had similar issues with their cars. i also like to express my complete satisfaction in a dealership that has never done me wrong, especially when i hear so many stories in here to the contrary. thanks.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Re: VR6 shifter rod/intake manifold changeover valve - Who's had it replaced un ... (Yellow Rabbit)

I didn't even bother with the dealership. I bought a replacement from impex and switched it myself. Took a whole 5 min. Worth it IMO instead of making an appointment, them hassling me over mods, waiting for my car, wondering what their doing to my car, etc. My car does run a lot better with a new one. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
7,718 Posts

I called the dealership up and they told me no problem it would be covered. Took off my CAI and brought it in and now I have a new car again. Call around but it should be covered.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Re: VR6 shifter rod/intake manifold changeover valve - Who's had it replaced un ... (RavinJetta)

iam on my third one thesethings suck. iam out of warranty just waiting for them to recall it.
or i may do it again.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Re: VR6 shifter rod/intake manifold changeover valve - Who's had it replaced un ... (SALVO82)

Get used to changing it.. Once it goes seems like you have to change that POS about every 5-10k... Another design flaw from VW in my book... Plastic give me a break... I am going on my thrid in less then 20K after the first changover at 55k.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts

it should be covered under the powetrain ... i was at 55K when mine crapped out and the dealer replaced it no questions asked.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Re: VR6 shifter rod/intake manifold changeover valve - Who's had it replaced un ... (bergenvr6)

no man powertrain warranty is anything that is lube by oil, thats what they told me. so like gears valves and stuff like that
I swear the next car i buy iam asking for them to take the warranty out i dont want it. EVERYTHING THEY SAY, IS NOT COVERED.
peace

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Re: VR6 shifter rod/intake manifold changeover valve - Who's had it replaced un ... (SALVO82)

Quote, originally posted by SALVO82 »
no man powertrain warranty is anything that is lube by oil, thats what they told me. so like gears valves and stuff like that
I swear the next car i buy iam asking for them to take the warranty out i dont want it. EVERYTHING THEY SAY, IS NOT COVERED.
peace
AGREED

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: VR6 shifter rod/intake manifold changeover valve - Who's had it replaced un ... (gqjeff)

It really looks like there is no offical word on this. Is it a dealer decision? Also, what's the warranty on their replacement parts? If the first one was covered for 36,000 miles, shouldn't the replacement be expected to last as long?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: (MastaVR6)

where is the intake manifold changeover valve located and what does it do? How can it make the car feel like new? How much does it cost in case I want to do it myself?

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Prince of Persia)

MastaVR6, was it under the bumber to bumper or the powertrain warranty?
The intake shifter rod basically varies the length of the intake manifold. At 4000 RPM the valve opens. As the part wears you start to feel a loss of power from 3k-4k and then a sudden surge at 4k. Mine also rattled at idle. You could hear it in the front of the engine. Also between 3500-4000 my car sounded terrible. The best way I can describe it is that it sounded like a Pontiac 3800 engine exhaust.
With the new part installed the power delivery is seemless and smooth. The engine is quiet again and it feels like a new car.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Re: (Yellow Rabbit)

I just read the post above me, but I want to know if it might sound like valve tic? My car, when its semi-warm, from about 2600 to 3000 sounds like my buddies 92 8V with the hood open. Is this the cause. I figured i'd be doing a head job, but this sounds WAY easier!
edit: 01 VR6 with around 40,000

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (hiegear2)

Quote, originally posted by hiegear2 »
I just read the post above me, but I want to know if it might sound like valve tic? My car, when its semi-warm, from about 2600 to 3000 sounds like my buddies 92 8V with the hood open. Is this the cause. I figured i'd be doing a head job, but this sounds WAY easier!
edit: 01 VR6 with around 40,000

Yes, I tought mine was the valves too.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Re: (Yellow Rabbit)

mine does tic like a damn 92 8v, but only under a load, it doesn't make any noise on a free rev.
just ordered from impex, 54 bucks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by hiegear2 at 6:17 PM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: (hiegear2)

Where is impex? I get some work out crap when I search for em.
I just called my local dealer and this guy said that in his 12 years of working on VW's he's never heard of this problem. He did tell me to bring my car in so they can check it out and determine if this is the case and whether or not its covered under the PT warranty.
If not I'll do it myself if someone can hook me up with a link to buy it online for less then $75!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Re: What the?

Ok guys.. I just took my ride in this morning and told them what this thread said. The tech said he's never heard of this issue and they called the tech hotline and they too had no clue about this being the cause. I was told that the MAF was bad and that was causing me the lag and the rattle.
I was pretty adament (sp?) about the shifter rod but was informed it was the MAF. He told me VW extended the warranty on the MAF due to this problem and they installed a new one for me at no charge.
NOW... I do feel my lag has improved but I still hear the rattle but not as bad as before. They said to give it a few days and it should go away.
What the??

Any input from you peeps?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts