VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Many moons ago when Kinetic (now CTS) came out with it's 3" down pipe for their VR6 kit I had some exhaust work done which started with Kinetics 3" downpipe then to a 3" high flow cat and 3" cat back pipe that reduced down to 2.5" at the rear axel beam. From the rear axle beam back is the remainder of a Techtonics Tunning 2.5" cat back system with 2.5" Borla muffler.

At the time this work was done no one was making a FULL 3" exhaust for the MKIII. Now both Techtonics Tunning and CTS make full 3" exhausts. My question, would there be noticeable benefits in going with the 3" all the way back vs. only 3" to the rear axle beam and then reducing to 2.5"?

I'm running the original Kinetic Turbo (Garrett) with a .82 housing (hot side) at about 20psi.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,756 Posts
You would notice a difference opening that up to full 3". You're running high boost on a 6 cyl, let the motor breathe.

·
Registered
12,756 Posts
Did you go 3" yet? I want to hear how it sounds. Always loved VR6T, never got the chance to mod my 04 24V GLI

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not yet, CTS put theirs on sale for $500. I hesitated and missed it so now I'm bitter... And winter is coming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts