VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, :wave:

I was hoping you can help me out. :heart:

I have a 1997 ABA 2.0 8v motor in my 1980 MK1. The problem I am having is that I have to register it here in CA and since it was purchased non-op, I need it to pass smog to register it. The smog referee check for a variety of things, like the status of the Readiness Status:

Here is a update of the readiness from a few weeks ago after 100 miles of driving it.
Exhaust Gas Recirculation
Oxygen Sensor Heating
Oxygen Sensor(s)
Air Conditioning
Secondary Air Injection
Evaporative Emissions
Catalyst Heating
Catalytic Converter(s)
Passed
Passed
Passed
Passed
Passed
Failed or Incomplete
Passed
Passed

And I am getting this fault code.
16885 - Vehicle Speed Sensor: Implausible Signal
P0501 - 35-00 - -
According to the smog referee, the reason why the EVAP is not setting is because the ECU needs to know how fast I am going "electronically" to run all the tests it needs to pass.

Here is my dilemma, my MK1 is using a speedometer cable driven VW Polo Cluster that was wired in such a way that makes no sense to me. There is a VSS sensor behind the speedometer on the cluster. Here is what was done.

^ As you can see, the cluster has been modified. The VSS is not for this cluster, so it too was modified to fit. There is also only one wire connected to the VSS, which is safe to assume that this wire is sending the speed signal to the ECU. :screwy:

After much more research, in order for the VSS to send the signal we would need to power it.

^ So I took it apart and see how the wires were attached. :confused:

Then, I used a voltmeter (1st time for everything) to figure out power and ground. Once I figured out where I can grab power and ground from the cluster, I added the other wires. Here is what it looks like now. :p

So now, with everything now hooked up, I drove the car around and nothing caught on fire. LOL Then I clear the codes and drove the car around another 10-15 miles.

I scan the car again after driving it and I got the same fault code. :banghead:
16885 - Vehicle Speed Sensor: Implausible Signal
P0501 - 35-00 - -
Sorry for the long story, but I am going to try to make it short.

The wiring on the car is all screwy. Also I think that this sensor is position in the wrong spot. Or even the sensor is just bad. Or maybe the wiring is just bad. It could be so many things. I feel like I ran out of options. So my quick and easy fix, instead of trying to fix the VSS behind the cluster, just disconnect the cable driven speedo and use an electronic VSS from a MK3 transmission and wire it directly to what I needed it for. Get it smogged, registered and then figure out how to have both my mechanical and my electrical speed sensors to work separately.

Can anyone tell me where on the ECU is the VSS wire and where I can connect to the power and ground? I was told that the voltage needs to be a certain amount for the VSS.

Who ever can help me (locally) I would :heart: you forever! And will provide :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer: afterwards. ;)

·
Registered
5,357 Posts
Very intriguing how that was done. Clever :thumbup: I'm guiding to assume they used the piggyback method. Maybe someone in this thread can give you some insight.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...2-0-swap-2-0-into-A1-2-0-into-MK1-info-thread kinda sucks you have to use ob2 smog reports for a mo1 swap out there. Gl man!

Does the car still have the a1 dash in it? I'm assuming you bought it swapped already. Pics?

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the car still have the a1 dash in it? I'm assuming you bought it swapped already. Pics?
It's got a Cabriolet Dash now, but need to work on the cluster surround to make it look nice.

I actually bought the car without a motor, then I paid a guy to do the swap for me. Long story short, I am no longer talking to the guy and have to figure this out on my own. I leave the engine stuff to the experts, trained in the field etc.. etc.. If you tell where to wire stuff, I can do that. But if you ask me to get a voltmeter test the frequency of signal, then I am am stumped at voltmeter. LOL.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.