VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
2,127 Posts
A Tiguan R would likely cost more than a Q5 2.0T and not be substantially faster.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
We talked about this before and I still think it was a bummer that the e-Hybrid got nixed for North America. I'd like to see a more powerful variant but I'm not sure I can picture them doing it. I think a North American Tiguan GT (with the GTI powertrain) in the same vein as the short-lived NMS Passat GT would be more likely than the Tiguan Allspace getting a full R treatment.

The question is whether it would attract enough new customers to make it worth the internal cannibalization that would occur. I think adding a 2.0 TSI sportier option to the Taos early on in the life cycle will probably be the move.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A full GTI/R is probably not feasible, but I think the 235-hp motor from the Atlas/Cross could be a significant upgrade in terms of performance and drivability at a very reasonable cost. Same goes for the Passat, for that matter, although there is little chance of any upgrade with the end in sight for that car.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Ach76 said:
A full GTI/R is probably not feasible, but I think the 235-hp motor from the Atlas/Cross could be a significant upgrade in terms of performance and drivability at a very reasonable cost. Same goes for the Passat, for that matter, although there is little chance of any upgrade with the end in sight for that car.
Yeah, the existence of the Atlas Cross Sport and Atlas is why I don't picture it. The European markets that get all of the Tiguan variations don't have these cars, so there is that big $ gap between the Tiguan/Allspace and Touareg. Will be interesting to see if they find a way for it to make sense.

·
Registered
2018 Tiguan, 2012 X5 35d, 2012 Golf 2.5
3,753 Posts
Exactly. I understand diesel gate probably had a huge influence on offering such a single mundane powertrain, but the Tiguan is being left in the dust by its competitors. I'd have gone with a new Explorer or Kia had they been available.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's weird. In Brazil we only get the LWB Tiguan (7 seater) but we do get an "R-Line" version with the 230bhp 2.0 TSI and AWD.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
It's weird. In Brazil we only get the LWB Tiguan (7 seater) but we do get an "R-Line" version with the 230bhp 2.0 TSI and AWD.
I believe it's at least partially because you get the 150 hp 1.4T as the base engine, and you don't have any larger SUVs on offer.

·
Registered
S2000
7,366 Posts
Just do the damn thing.

Perfect way to keep GTI drivers with growing families in the brand. Hyundai is already readying a Tucson N, VW should be earlier to a segment for once.

·
Registered
26 Posts
From my understanding, the engine in the current US market Tiguan is essentially the same as the GTI, turbo and everything, just tuned differently? Perhaps this is because the transmission can't take the extra power? We just picked up a 2018 Tiguan SEL-P for my wife, and we love it as far as comfort goes, but it is indeed rather sluggish. In theory, it's just a tune away from making GTI power though

·
Registered
Japanese Vacuum Cleaner
5,654 Posts
Yeah, and it's built at Puebla right alongside all the US-bound Tiguans, I really wish I knew why VW won't offer it to the US market. It's literally the perfect solution for someone who has to compromise between a GTI and a family hauler.

·
Premium Member
8,241 Posts
Yeah, the existence of the Atlas Cross Sport and Atlas is why I don't picture it. The European markets that get all of the Tiguan variations don't have these cars, so there is that big $ gap between the Tiguan/Allspace and Touareg. Will be interesting to see if they find a way for it to make sense.
VW's thinking is poopie. I think the only Tiguan competitors that don't offer a GTI level power upgrade are Chevrolet, Toyota and Nissan. And maybe Mitsubishi? If Kia can sell a loaded Sportage with a ~250HP 2.0T VW has no excuse.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
27,610 Posts
That would be a pretty exciting and out-of-character decisions for VW to offer such a product in the US. There will likely be some excuse about cost keeping this out of the US market, as is typically the case for most fun things that are found overseas and not brought to the US. I would be into this if it was offered in the SWB version of the Tig, which we don't get in any form.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
VW's thinking is poopie. I think the only Tiguan competitors that don't offer a GTI level power upgrade are Chevrolet, Toyota and Nissan. And maybe Mitsubishi? If Kia can sell a loaded Sportage with a ~250HP 2.0T VW has no excuse.
Kia has no premium brand product for the compact SUV customer to upgrade into, while the Tiguan has several from Audi and Porsche. I also bet Kia doesn't sell a very high percentage of those.

There are others without ~240 hp options- CR-V, Forester in this gen (Sport is appearance package now-and ugly IMO), Tucson doesn't but Santa Fe does, and Equinox doesn't anymore because Blazer does.

Cars with the high power options like the CX-5 and Cherokee also don't have premium brands connected.

I think the fact that the Taos is a lower end product with a 1.5T/DSG combo makes it a better candidate to get a hot version with a 2.0T/DSG in North America, essentially the CUV equivalent of the GLI... Enthusiasts are clamoring for the SWB Tiguan (mainly in a hot form) and the Taos is about that same size.

·
8,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm interested to see what Scott Keough does with VWNA. He came into office, what, one year ago? Two? Time blurs together now. Anyway, he did amazing things with AudiNA and I hopeful that he helps VW find some sort of character/value proposition/brand clarity in our market. Since 2011 they've chased volume (it kind of worked) through decontenting, but within months of their new "Americanized" models being introduced, the competition released new models that leap-frogged them.

Remember the NMS Passat? Bigger, lower-priced, competitive, somewhat-darling of the auto mags, then Honda releases the new Accord. Toyota came out with a new Camry. Now both the Tiguan and the Atlas are in the same kind of trouble: the competition has moved forward and VW is again behind. Both models had space and low-ish price as their main attributes, but both have adequate yet underwhelming powertrains, their interior materials are adequate yet underwhelming, and their styling is adequate yet underwhelming.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts