VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 2 letters here, again like the bulletin I posted, I have to re-type these, so imagine the letter with no typos or grammar errors...
First, this is the letter from VW to the dealership:
quote:[HR][/HR]
Dear Volkswagen Dealer:
I want to communicate directly with you, and to provide you with our current status regarding the potential malfunction some of oru customers may hav experienced, or honestly might yet experience, with their 2001 or 2002 MY Volkswagens equipped with the 1.8t four-cylinder engine for the 2.8l VR6, and some 2002 MY Passats equipped with the W8.
You know we are experiencing a higher-than-normal rate of ignition coil faillure. In our experience, the problemw tih the coil is typically isolated to the failure of a coil for a single cylinder, which will affect drivability. If an engine coil failes, the engine and its electronic controls are designed to keep the vehicle running, though deterioration in performance can be expected.
Under warranty, we are replacing this part and taking care of customers as quickly as possible with an improved coil. The improved design is also being used in all our 2003 models, so the cars you are receiving and selling now, and have been receiving and selling during the last several months, should not exhibit this problem.
We are pleased to report that our parts supply is greatly improved over previous weeks. Our suppliers have taken all possible action to increase production. We are experiencing an increased and cosistent supply of coils, covering the anticipated weekly demand. That said, even though we are getting a huge share of total replacement part production, we do not yet have enough replacements to replace every coil in every car that might conceivably fail. For the time being we continue to ask that you follow the procedures that have been established to make sure that those customers experience an actual failure can be served.
We recognize that some of your and our valued customers have been inconvenienced due to higher-than-normal failure rate of the coil, and the fact that we cannot at this time replace every coil in every car. We want to take this opportunity to recognize the efforts that your dealership has implemented in assisting us in this difficult period. We also know that a great deal of concern has arisen from discussion of this topic in the newspapers and in the enthusiast chat rooms. Some of the information circulating has been accurate and some less so.
We feel it is our responsibility to communicate very directly, both with you and with our retail customers. For this reason we are today sending the attached letter to all owners of the aforementioned vehicles in order to assure them that we will stand behind our product.
In closing, you have my personal apology for the concern and inconvenience that you have experienced, and my thanks for your patience and support.
Regards,
Frank Maguire
Vice President
[HR][/HR]​
Here is the letter they are sending to customers.
quote:[HR][/HR]
Dear Volkswagen Customer:
We are writing to provide you with important information about your Volkswagen.
Through our monitoring of vehicles in the field, we have determined that some 2001 and 2002 Volkswagens equipped witht he 1.8t four-cylinder engine or the 2.8l VR6, and some 2002 Passats equipped with the W8 may experience a malfunction of an ignition coil. The 2001 and 2002 engines are equipped with cuch coils for the 4-cylinder engine, six coils in the 6-cylinder engine and eight coils in the 8-cylinder engine. Some owners have experienced a malfunction of one or more of these coils. If an ignition coil becomes inoperative, the engine and its electronic controls are designed to keep your vehicle running. Some deterioration in performance, however, can be expected. You can contine to drive with reducted power and should take your car to the nearest Volkswagen dealer for repair. If you do not feel comfortable driving with reduced power, you may call Volkswagen 24-hour roadside assistance at (800)411-6688 for towing to the nearest dealer.
Should you experience a malfunction, your Volkswagen dealer will be able to repair your car with an improved igintion coil. In order to minimize inconvenience to you, your Volkswagen dealer will offer alternative transportation to you at no cost.
We want to make it clear that your car may not exhibit this problem. However, if you have already experienced this malfunction and for some reason you had to pay to have it repaired, we are, of course, prepared to reimburse you. If this has been your experience, please contact us. We apologize for any inconvenience you may experience and we assure you that resolving this issue is the top priority for Volkswagen of American, Volkswagen AG and our Volkswagen dealers. If you desire any assistance, or have any questions, please contact us at (800) 822-8987 or vw.com click on (contact us).
In closing, you have my peronal apology for any inconvenience , and my thanks for your business.
Regards,
Frank Maguire
Vice President
[HR][/HR]​
Sorry for any spelling errors, had to type it all up by hand.

[Modified by Wholsea, 12:39 PM 1-31-2003]

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,022 Posts
Re: VW announcement letters to customers concerning coilpacks. (Wholsea)

Thanks for typing all that in!

I'm curious to see VW's response when they have to replace all the J coilpacks that are already failing. It's time for VW to call these guys to dig 'em out:

·
Registered
14,449 Posts

What a load of BULLSH*T that letter is. "Some" customers? How about an epidemice proportion of them? That would be more accurate. How about "Our waiting list of customers still waiting for coilpacks remains near the 10,000 number."
I bought 2 spares just in case. Although, it's interesting they say you CAN drive like this. Many people said the cylinder wouldn't be firing, etc and that gas would continue to into the cylinder. I'm thinking that the ECU automatically shuts off the affected injector, so you aren't f'ing up your car.

·
Registered
351 Posts

So what about the early 2003's (like mine) that have the H coilpacks? I'll be curious to see if I get this letter, since there's no mention of this affecting ANY 2003's...

·
Registered
323 Posts

I will give them half a nod for atleast writing a letter.
I still flame them for really really shady wording. They admit that one part may fail and that part will be replaced. Nothing clear at all about replacing all four.
thanks for the write up. I hope the general public and the press can read between the lines and understand that everyone is SOL on this one and will no doubt still face the possibility of multiple breakdowns and trips to the dealer.

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,022 Posts
Re: VW announcement letters to customers concerning coilpacks. (dcomiskey)

quote:[HR][/HR]Although, it's interesting they say you CAN drive like this. Many people said the cylinder wouldn't be firing, etc and that gas would continue to into the cylinder. I'm thinking that the ECU automatically shuts off the affected injector, so you aren't f'ing up your car.
[HR][/HR]​
You'd think so, but everyone reports a strong smell of rotten eggs (unburned gas in the cat) when a coilpack goes out. If anyone was motivated, they could log injector pulse widths for each cylinder while the engine is in 3-banger mode. That would show if the injector is really shut off.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Re: VW announcement letters to customers concerning coilpacks. ([email protected])

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm curious to see VW's response when they have to replace all the J coilpacks that are already failing.[HR][/HR]​
There are a lot of people here at VWvortex, at ClubB5 and in the Audi forums that are searching for real postings claiming the J's are failing too. So far, all the J failures that have been chased down ended up being false positives (they were actuall H's that failed).
Please post real data.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Re: VW announcement letters to customers concerning coilpacks. ([email protected])

quote:[HR][/HR]. . . everyone reports a strong smell of rotten eggs (unburned gas in the cat) when a coilpack goes out. If anyone was motivated, they could log injector pulse widths for each cylinder while the engine is in 3-banger mode. That would show if the injector is really shut off.[HR][/HR]​
When two coils failed in my W8, the car was rendered virtually undriveable. There was a strong smell of rotten eggs, as stated, which made me think that unburned gasoline was hitting the catalytic converter. Because of that, and because the owner's manual said not to drive if the MIL was flashing, I had the car flat-bedded. Apparently W8 coils are harder to come by then 1.8T coils because it took my dealer 24 days to get 'em.

·
Registered
351 Posts

I think they fudged the issue by saying "cars made for the last several months" - they don't mention 2003's directly anywhere in the letter (because they changed the packs part way thru the year). I think they wanted to avoid referring to 2003's because that would make recent buyers (who may not realize they already have the newer parts) concerned. Its clear that the 2003's with the H coilpacks ARE having failures, its just that the rate is lower than we're seeing in the 2001's and 2002's because the 03's haven't had long for the malfunction to appear...

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
9,022 Posts
Re: VW announcement letters to customers concerning coilpacks. (E36BMW)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm curious to see VW's response when they have to replace all the J coilpacks that are already failing.
There are a lot of people here at VWvortex, at ClubB5 and in the Audi forums that are searching for real postings claiming the J's are failing too. So far, all the J failures that have been chased down ended up being false positives (they were actuall H's that failed).
Please post real data.[HR][/HR]​
Were both these guys discredited?

http://clubb5.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=34863
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=677031&page=1

[Modified by [email protected], 1:34 PM 1-31-2003]

·
Registered
3,486 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm curious to see VW's response when they have to replace all the J coilpacks that are already failing.
Please post real data.
Were both these guys discredited?

http://clubb5.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=34863
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=677031&page=1

[Modified by [email protected], 1:34 PM 1-31-2003][HR][/HR]​
(1)The second thread has been discounted being based on a rumor.
(2)The first one is highly questionable--Dealers didn't have J coil packs until Dec 02. He states he got J coil pack in November 02. And the originator seems quite confused on the part number issue--nobody asked him to see what part number was on his repair receipt.

[Modified by E36BMW, 10:41 AM 1-31-2003]

·
Registered
3,486 Posts

We've had an on-gong post in the Passat B5 area here asking for *anyone* to post who's had a J failure---no takers to date.

·
Registered
714 Posts

I JUST had my 3 and 4 coil go on Tuesday. I also had my 2 and 4 replaced in September. My dealer told me that this past week, they replaced one H, and one J. They said that the completely dead H (3) put strain on the J (4).
Does firing order come into play here? The dealer said they had J coils in September.
Now, I am NOT saying that the dealer is being truthful. This is the same dealer where my change and work keys were stolen from my ashtray. They aren't the most honest people in the world.
But, my 3 and 4 have now been replaced with J's. Maybe the second J for #4. I am waiting for number 1 to go.
The entire VW organization should be lined up and shot in my opinion! They have failed on all counts.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Re: VW announcement letters to customers concerning coilpacks. (JJJETTA)

quote:[HR][/HR]IThey said that the completely dead H (3) put strain on the J (4)[HR][/HR]​
*put strain on the J * ???
Diagnosis seems flawed. The dead H could do what they said. Anyway, it seems as though you got a good J replace with another new J.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.