VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Re: VW Coil Pack/Ignition Coil Guide (billymeister)

This is a great thread! I just had one go out on me and I've only had the car for 6 days. Replaced it with a friend and 20 miles later another just went, ha.

Oh well, thank God it isn't anything major and that there is such great information out there on this site from all of you! Trying to land a set of BERU off a member, God-willing get them overnighted and the A4 back to normal!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: VW Coil Pack/Ignition Coil Guide (brandn3w)

To make a story short, and have a happy ending like me
, just buy the 1.8 T coilpack (coil-on-plug x 4) manufactured by Hitachi (Japan). They have the top of the plug filled with some ceramic epoxy-like stuff that seems really sturdy and heatproof.
I bought them at ECSTuning.com over a year ago, and they haven't failed not even once. My engine is a brazilian AUQ block (180hp), that works perfectly in the hot Caribbean sun and still makes 15.3s @ 1/4 mile with no mods whatsoever. The kit bought at ECS was marketed for an AWP engine code, so it's OK to use them on AUQ.
The OEM's are italian-made (?) Bremis, and the third and last one I bought at the dealer (before the Hitachi kit) failed in a record time of just 10 days
. They sucked big time (and money).

·
Registered
347 Posts
Re: VW Coil Pack/Ignition Coil Guide (rs4-380)

i got a gti mk4, ignition coil replaced.... new one lasted 2 days.... not even, exactly 40 hours.
gosh....

are the R ones the same as L ones? i checked it with the multimeter, the new r one got 79 ohms and the other L ones have 49.....
help please?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Re: VW Coil Pack/Ignition Coil Guide (rdwong)

Quote, originally posted by rs4-380 »

2.0's use two coils in what is called a wasted-spark ignition system. The coil fires two cylinders at once, but since only one of the cylinders is on the compression stroke, the other spark is "wasted". Coil pack problems on 2.0s are extremely rare as they share no components with either of the above two systems.

Just thought Id mention that I had my coilpack fail in my 2001 2.0 golf. When I pulled it out, there were 3~4 visible cracks in the case. Dealer initially wouldnt do anything as there was no recall for the 2.0. I took the coil pack in and handed it to the service manager and he offered me a $100 inhouse credit, so that atleast helped. Symptoms were rough idle and occasional misfire under load.

·
Registered
98 Posts

I just replaced the coils and plugs in my 1.8t and im getting misfires and CEL and all that but i dont know what the hell it is

·
Registered
133 Posts
Who would've thought after searching for 10 min.....

That there is no info on the firing order on VW GTI 1.8T???????
This needs to be updated or I'm totally blind.
Well I guess I should've added this:
1-3-4-2

Modified by DGOMDK at 12:46 PM 1-13-2010

·
Registered
51 Posts
My cylinder 3 coilpack went out on me ('01 Jetta 1.8T), and I'm trying to decide between two replacements:
- one is the stock VW coilpack, or OEM I guess
- the other is NAPA brand
Both are about the same price. Since VW's are known to fail, should I go with the NAPA brand? Anyone else know anything about NAPA?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Go with OEM....There may be a recall already or in the near future. Ask your local VW dealer/Service to see what they can do.
I just replaced all 4 per the future recall. When compared with old "new" coils are a totally different part number. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Great post!! This saved me about $800 to replace the Coil Pack on my 2001 Jetta GLX (94k miles).
I used JB Weld ($6 at Ace Hardware). The key for me was sketching out which plug wired went on which ports. The Coil Pack is easy enough to take out and put back in.
Check out these posts as well:
http://www.gti-vr6.net/library....html
http://chris.quietlife.net/passat/coilpack.html
I'm savoring this victory over overpriced parts/labor!!

·
Registered
1,981 Posts

So 24v VR6 are issued a recall?? I had them check my vin number to see if mine applied and they said NO!!

Should I try going to another dealer... Or...?? I just replaced 2 like a week ago, and another 2 fakd up just this Saturday. Those $50 could've went into my gas tank

·
Registered
17,856 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by Sonic303 »
So 24v VR6 are issued a recall?? I had them check my vin number to see if mine applied and they said NO!!

Should I try going to another dealer... Or...?? I just replaced 2 like a week ago, and another 2 fakd up just this Saturday. Those $50 could've went into my gas tank

not recalled http://www.vwcoils.com/Page1.aspx

·
Registered
2003 Vw GTI1.8t
657 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Vw GTI1.8t
657 Posts
Re: (alwarnecke)

Most likely are re-boxed oem coilpacks if you have any friends with access to Worldpac they have them really cheap

·
Registered
2003 Vw GTI1.8t
657 Posts

I have come across problems back inside the connector going to the coils as well the wiring gets brittle under the protective outer covering causing shorting of the coils or shorting to ground and setting a CEL either way be careful when working with older wiring on these harnesses.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by VgRt6 »
Dave- You migh want to mention that the VR6 also uses a "wasted spark"-type coilpack. I posted the Bentley description of how it works a while back, along with the Bentley instructions for testing the coilpack.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=793322

this
Also heres a pic of my old coilpack vs new. Btw the mk3 and mk4 coilpacks and also the 12v passats are identical besides the actual connector to the wiring harness.

The old one is a mk4 one and the new is from a b4 passat. I just had to swap out the icm for the connector and it was done.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Re: VW Coil Pack/Ignition Coil Guide (scrilla)

Quote, originally posted by scrilla »

Just thought Id mention that I had my coilpack fail in my 2001 2.0 golf. When I pulled it out, there were 3~4 visible cracks in the case. Dealer initially wouldnt do anything as there was no recall for the 2.0. I took the coil pack in and handed it to the service manager and he offered me a $100 inhouse credit, so that atleast helped. Symptoms were rough idle and occasional misfire under load.

interesting. my girls 2003 2.0 golf is also having the same problem right now. just got all 6 replaced for free on my A4 by audi. i was going to call volkswagen tomorrow and see whats up with this. 2.0 is not under recall???

Modified by scoTT la rock at 6:25 AM 3-14-2010

21 - 40 of 75 Posts